Dietition appt today, now I'm more confused. St Vincent

browneyes65
on 2/3/14 12:41 pm - IN

Ok, here I go, I had my dietition and Dr appt today and 3 hours away. I was asked what Vitamins I was taking first my Multi Complete I buy from Family Dollar, she said don't take those they have a hard coating that won't break down, so you should be taking Natures Made liquid gells and yes they do absorb, ok also I need to find a better Calcium Citrate because with Citracal Petites I would have to take 7. So I'm looking into that, trying to look around at store.I told the dietition can you tell me how to make this easier because I constantly taking pills from hr-hr and she told me you can take all your 3 multi at once just wait 5 minutes in between, I don't understand that, then she said wait 2 hours take a calcium wait 2 hr take a calcium wait 2 hrs then take the last one. She told me not to follow what other people are doing online, this is how I can do it. I want this to be easier. This is why I'm confused. Help a girl out with your knowledge. also she daid I can take the vit d3 5000 jells.

poet_kelly
on 2/3/14 6:52 pm - OH

I disagree with her advice.  But you'll have to decide if it sounds right to you or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 2/3/14 11:14 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I agree with Kelly.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/3/14 7:44 pm

You can do whatever you want.  Some days I take my 2 multi ast once - but only because I forgot to take them earlier. 

Early on - large multi pills may cause problem - the may get stuck or as the doc says - dont dissolve completely.  I am almost 6 years post op and I hate large pills like multi or even calcium. I can feel them sitting in my pouch.. Still the may get stuck in my stoma. Same with calcium pills. 

You have to figure out for you what works best. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Candy V.
on 2/3/14 8:39 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

So many opinions!  Yes you need 7-8 Citrical petites, BUT so what!  They are easier to swallow than the large ones.  I take 2, 3 times a day and then have another dose of either a chewable (Calcet creamy bites, yummy) or up cal D powder. 

I would get a DRY D3.  I get mine from vitalady.com.   I take generic multivitamins, no problems.

I take my vitamins in 3 batches plus iron and C at bedtime - am, late morning, afternoon and bedtime.  This way if I forget one, I still have time to catch up at dinner with the last batch.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

SkinnyScientist
on 2/3/14 10:42 pm

If coating dissolution is an issue, here is how to get around it. Get a pill cutter and cut the darn thing in half (or 1/3s). Now you have an uncoated opening with the vitamins, minerals and excipients exposed to the gastric mileu.  They will just dissolve away out of there.

You can also crush the vitamins with a pill crusher  to overcome the the coating issue.

Money saved!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

browneyes65
on 2/4/14 12:44 am - IN

I already know I'm going to get alot wrong because for one thing dietitions that are suppose to know this stuff inside out to help people they don't know squat, I will have some bad labs for awhile until I learn and it might take awhile but one day I will know. Thanks everyone

siberiancat
on 2/4/14 1:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I had my RNY at St. Vincents 5 years ago next month.  The Dieticians have been helpful, but I don't always agree with them.  You need to do your own reading and research - and, sometimes experiment to see what works best for you.

What worked pre-op probably won't work post op.  What worked at one month post-op may not work at one year post-OP and so on.  We are individuals, we absorb differently and need to adjust accordingly.  Follow the ASMBS recommendations for RNY patients.  You can find them on-line.  I also get several supplements from Vitalady.  St. Vincents has a Womens gift shop (they ship no charge) that has many supplements you can purchase there.  I get the 500mg calcium chews at St. Vincents.  They are good and since we need 4 doses a day (at least 2 hours apart) I find them easy to take wherever I'm at.

Your labs will change and you may have to take additional supplements if you are deficient in anything.  Don't totally dismiss the Dieticians as idiots.  They are a "tool" and you can listen to what they say and make an informed decision after you have done your homework and research.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

browneyes65
on 2/4/14 1:15 am - IN

I wish she was not in a hurry, I was in and out in 15 minutes. I just wished I walked out with a better understanding.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/4/14 5:33 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, browneyes65 wrote:

I wish she was not in a hurry, I was in and out in 15 minutes. I just wished I walked out with a better understanding.

WOW! My appts are 45 minutes each and I went every 3-4 weeks from Jan to December. I am now every other month and moving to quarterly by next Jan. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 198 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics