Well, maybe I don't dump anymore

MsVThin
on 2/8/14 3:52 am - Hesperia, CA

I've never dumped, I no to be so lucky...but am I really?  My sister had horrible dumping syndrome.  I never experienced it.

TXKashmir
on 2/8/14 5:25 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I think I'm about as far out as you. I don't really count sugar grams, but I know for a fact I still dump on simple carbs if I eat too much. I can easily eat two cookies (normal-sized ones) with no problem. I do think I have become less sensitive to carbs than when I was newly post-op, but it's pretty much been the same level for the past few years. I could almost bet that if you had eaten one more cookie, you would have felt some effect. I have also noticed that it can vary from day to day - one day I can eat a doughnut and be just fine - the next day, the same doughnut will make me violently ill. Most of the time, it's simply not worth the risk.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

poet_kelly
on 2/8/14 5:28 am - OH

I've not eaten a doughnut since my WLS.  I feel certain a whole one would have too much sugar and to me it doesn't seem worth it to buy one and only eat a couple bites of it.  A third cookie might have made me feel ill.  I don't plan to try it and see.  If I've been able to limit sugar for five years, I can keep on doing it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TXKashmir
on 2/8/14 9:28 am - Grand Prairie, TX

LOL - I definitely haven't BOUGHT a doughnut, but they have been offered, and I have suffered the consequences when I stupidly accepted - like I said - not worth the risk. I just don't necessarily think it means you no longer dump because you were able to tolerate two cookies today. You are doing a wonderful job, and have been such an inspiration to so many of us - keep up the great work!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

bbearsmama
on 2/8/14 12:27 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

I know what you mean. I had some cookies at Christmas with no problems at all.  But I do feel jittery/shaky when I drink milk now. I once took a sip of my husband's oj and felt just awful so that motivates me to steer really clear of sugary liquids! I do, however, have a couple of sugar cubes with my coffee in the morning and don't seem to have much trouble with that. I was hoping that cookies and chocolate would make me feel just plain awful, but that's not the case with me.

Either way-you've got your sugar intake completely under control so it sounds like you don't need dumping to deter you!  WTG!

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

siberiancat
on 2/9/14 2:18 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

For me it depends.  If I eat more than 15 gms sugar or simple carb on an empty stomach - I may dump.  If I eat the sugar/high carb food with a meal or snack that has protein and fat - then I probably won't.  The protein/fat keeps the blood sugar from rising too quickly and then falling quickly.

To be safe (for me) I eat the sugar/high carb food with protein/fat.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

nfarris79
on 2/9/14 4:58 am - Germantown, MD

Yeah, my NUT gave me the heads-up early on that my dumping would likely change.... In some ways, I'm glad b/c life would suck without fruit! In other ways, yeah, the accountability is on ME and my choices, not just on aversion....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.