Labs Vitamin low My number

browneyes65
on 2/18/14 10:35 am - IN

I got some labs done and my vitamin D3 is pretty low, but don't know what I'm doing wrong, I take Vitamin D3 5000 IU chewable tablets in chocolate flavor I got from the Vitamin Shoppe. The lab say's vit D 25 Hydrox  my number is 18, normal range 30-80. I have another lab about my B12- my number is 1202, normal range 243-894 and been taking 1000 micrograms daily, what am I doing wrong ? one paper I read said I should take 1000 weekly, is it high because I have been taking daily ?

poet_kelly
on 2/18/14 10:47 am - OH

Most post ops need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day.  Many need more.  I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to maintain a good level.  A good level, by the way, is at least 80, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.  The reference range on the lab report is not the range needed for good health.  It's the average of what a bunch of "apparently healthy" test subjects tested at.  But it is not based on research that shows what you need for good health.

You're not doing anything wrong with the B12.  Your B12 is fine now.  The ASMBS recommends 500 mcg daily, so you could cut back a little, but you don't have to.  Yours is not too high.  The reference range given on the lab report for that is also lower than what's needed for good health - below 550, people get symptoms like depression and fatigue, and below 400, you can get permanent nerve damage.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 2/18/14 11:29 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I recently read that vitamin D is better absorbed with meal.  Kelly - have you heard this?

I might try switching to Dry Vitamin D from Bariatric Advantage.  Maybe a different delivery will help?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/18/14 12:19 pm - OH

If you are currently taking Vit D in oil caps rather than a dry Vitamin D, that is the problem.  Since we malabsorption fats, we don't absorb vitamins in oil very well.

i have not heard/read anything about taking Vit D with meals versus alone affecting absorption.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 2/18/14 7:16 pm - OH

Are you currently taking D3 that's in oil?  If so, switching to dry D3 will definitely help.  Doesn't matter what brand, though.

In "normal" people, since D3 is a fat soluble vitamin, putting it in oil helps with absorption.  Since we malabsorb fats, though, we don't absorb vitamins in oil so well.  We'll still absorb some, just not as well as if they are not in oil.

The only reason I can think of that would make D3 absorb better with meals is in "normal" people if they had some fat in that meal.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lora R.
on 2/18/14 10:29 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Ok, I have the softgels 5000 iu from Kroger, is that a good one or no?  First ingredient is soybean oil, smh.  Figuring out these vitamins will be the death of me!  lol

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

poet_kelly
on 2/18/14 10:31 pm - OH

Well, one without oil would be better.  You'll absorb some of the one with oil, just not all of it and there's no way to really know how much.  Either a dry tablet or a capsule with dry powdery stuff in it works better.

Lora R.
on 2/18/14 11:40 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Thanks Kelly, you have been awesome with helping to understand the vitamins better. 

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 491 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 553 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 542 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 254 views
Recent Topics