Anyone have the RNY that had existing anxiety?

kbb0185
on 4/23/14 11:59 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

I have been on anxiety medication for the past six years, and am in pretty good shape, as long as I stay on the medication.  

I was wondering if anyone else had the procedure with existing anxiety, and if it made it worse or better?  Most of my anxiety is health related (totally unfounded fears) that are a big part because of my weight/size now and fear of developing or having health issues.  I am concerned about all of the side effects and new physical symptoms I will be feeling after the surgery that will cause my anxiety to spiral out of control.

I am committing myself to at least one year of therapy starting now and through after the surgery.  I am currently going to several therapists in the area that specialize in anxiety to see who I click with the best.

Just curious if anyone else dealt with this, and how they made out through the process?

Thanks all! 

adamlandreth
on 4/24/14 12:09 am - NC
kbb0185
on 4/24/14 12:12 am
RNY on 07/15/14
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/14 12:40 am
RNY on 04/10/14

I have been on anxiety meds for many years as well.  I had my RNY on April 10th and have just kept taking my meds all the way through.  Right after surgery when my hormones were flipping out, I got depressed and anxious.  That lasted about a week.  However, once I started seeing the scale move and I realized that my life is not over now that I can't shove a ton of food in my mouth, I am now back to my old self with the added happiness of seeing a light at the end of the obesity tunnel!  The important thing is to focus on the good things and call your doctor if you have any physical symptoms that are out of the ordinary.

Pura Vida
on 4/24/14 1:09 am - Costa Rica

You may find that your anxiety will ramp up dramatically after surgery, because you are unable to medicate with food, at least that happened to me. I had to up my meds for about 5 years, but now am tapering back down. Therapy is great, it is crucial that you learn strategies to deal with anxiety that don't involve food. Best of luck.

Heather

QoftheU
on 4/24/14 2:49 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Oh baby - do I feel you! 

I'm bipolar and on anti-anxiety meds AS NEEDED (my BP meds mostly control it).  But for me, it ebbs and flows.  There are days in a row where I need nothing to feel just fine and anxiety free - and then days of Where the hell are those pills?!?!  All I can say is, based on my experience, there are good days, and rough days.  I'm 4 months out but I'm a revision so this isn't my first dance.  When I find myself getting wound up, I MAKE myself go outside and walk around the block slowly breathing... this is a stroll mind you, not a race - I look at the trees and flowers and cars and people and cracks on the sidewalk - anything that is calming and distracting.  Most of the time it calms me down enough to carry on... give it a shot and see if it helps.  If it doesn't, that's when I reach for Mommy's Little Helper!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Amy R.
on 4/24/14 4:28 am

Me.

I found however that I was able to drastically reduce my meds postop.  I went from 8 pills a day to 3.  Still not sure why.

Oh, and make sure you quickly decide on only ONE doc.  None of them are perfect - but sticking with one will help you in many ways.  I understand the shopping around until you find what you want, but you will get more steady relief from just choosing one, at least for awhile.  You can always change in a few months after you've really given that one person  a chance.

good luck to you,

amy

kbb0185
on 4/24/14 11:19 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

Thank you all so much for the replies!  I really appreciate hearing other peoples' experiences.  I guess I will just wait and see, and start therapy in the meantime.  the main reason I am shopping around from the first person is because she is too far away for my taste.  I found someone right by my daughters daycare and go to see her next week, so I will commit to staying with her awhile instead of jumping around some more.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/25/14 12:10 am

I had no change in the level of my anxiety and attacks.  They first started in 1998 and I have had some debilitating episodes over the years but I do not take daily medicine, only Xanax when I actually need it.  I have had some serious attacks since surgery but thankfully one of the meds that still seems to work is Xanax.  Honestly though, the reason I cannot/will not take it most of the time even when I probably should is that it tends to make me relax and then my barriers come down, i.e. I start allowing myself to eat crap and justify it.  That is something that really bothers me, regain is something I cannot allow, so for me the meds are pretty much off-limits unless its something major I am facing.

Good Luck!

dirks34
on 4/25/14 12:26 am
RNY on 10/31/12

I have had some experience some increased anxiety since my surgery and don't know why. I've been told I worry alot. Every time I have a physical symptom, I overreact and think it must have

something to do with my surgery. I can usually talk myself through it but lately I've been thinking of talking to the Dr about it. I'm not sure I want to try meds but maybe a therapist would be a good start.

I guess my underlying worry is that since I have had my surgery, I somehow may have wrecked my chances of living a long life. I know I have improved my health ten fold but its always in the back of my mind. Its nice to know others go through this too.

Thanks for your post.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Most Active
Recent Topics