POUCH ULCERS ?

cthr
on 5/31/14 9:36 am

Im 5 years out and have developed pre ulcerous lesions in my pouch? Does anyone know what causes this? How is the best way to treat this? What is the prognosis in the long run?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/14 11:32 am - OH

Ulcers can be caused by a number of things.  Use of NSAID pain relievers (aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Aleve, etc.), prescription drugs like Celebrex) is one of the most common.

The "best" way to treat them and your prognosis would be based on a number of things, so your physician is a far better person to answer these questions than non-physicians on the internet (or even a physician on the internet who has not seen your medical records, for that matter).

I hope you can get them cleared up quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

alaskasusan
on 6/1/14 7:24 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I haven't touched an aspirin or NSAID in over 18 months, stopped them well before my RNY (done 2/13).  Because my pre-op testing found that I have Barrett's Esophagus, I have to have an annual endo to follow up on that.  Well, this time around, the endo doctor found that I have not 1, not 2, but 3 ulcers.  He tested and found I had H-Pylori, so prescribed anti-biotics for that which he stated would help the ulcers heal as well.  He also put me back on Omeprezole for 2 months.  All I can do is hope that they're healed up until my next scope confirms it.  Without insurance, I have to save up all year for the next one, they are spendy!  :)   Good luck to you - are you on anything like Omeprezole currently?