Just want to be at the gym. All. the. time.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/27/14 11:22 pm

So I am loving the new lease on life that surgery gave me. ONe of the unexpected "side-effect" of the surgery is that I now love the gym and want to be there all the time.  I used to go to the gym often, but I am now amazed DAILY about how much easier some classes/exercises are without the extra 80+ lbs.

As a result, I find myself daydreaming/thinking a lot about the gym when I am not there. I often want to play hooky from my job so I can hit more interesting classes during the day at the gym.

Previously, cooking/preparing food and tasting it was a bit of an obession for me...now it is the gym!

I have fantasies where I am aerobics instructor.  This is hilarious because I am still quite sizable and every instructor I have seen is quite small/skinny (though I do notice the walk around and get hidden breaks during a workout).

Do any of you harbor this secret fantasy?

Does one have to major in sports/physical education to teach an aerobics class?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/28/14 12:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Um, no. I wish I did. I rank gym visits right up there with Pap smears and root canals. Glad you're enjoying it though!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/28/14 3:08 am - OH

I am personally with Kathryn on this one, LOL, but I am glad you are enjoying it.  (I would caution you about a transfer addiction to exercise, though, based on a couple of your statements.  No, it doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.)

MANY aerobics/Zumba/etc instructors do not have any college degree in anything related. Most of the time, they are like a friend of mine and just have training and a "certification" that prove that they know what they are doing.

I am sure others can provide more details on qualifications.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jenorama
on 7/28/14 4:56 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I hear you on the how much easier things are without the excess weight.  I'm in the mode of "when I can get my next bike ride?" right now.  I brought it to work with me today and we're going to have some quality time after work.  :D  I've also been doing in-home yoga once a week with an instructor friend--something I would never have thought of 120 lbs ago.  

We're so badass and awesome!

Jen

SkinnyScientist
on 7/28/14 10:58 pm

:)  We ARE!!!  

Enjoy the bike and the nice weather!

MyLady Heidi
on 7/28/14 2:29 pm

I am just the same. Not.  WLS doesn't make one love the gym, I haven't ever set foot in one, nor do I see that ever happening.  Enjoy.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/28/14 11:11 pm

I both agree and disagree with you. For example, I used to not always be as excited about gyming because it was harder. I saw very little results for the work done and it was HARD. Even yoga felt strenuous and it was just stretching!!!

But now I love it because stuff that was hard...is getting so much easier. I FEEL and look like I made progress.  And somehow, that "medium gratification" really spurs me on.  

I love trying new things and just seeing that I can do some of them.

Have a great day!

MyLady Heidi
on 7/29/14 6:29 am

I hated gym in school, I hate anything that makes me sweat and I will never do it.  EVER.  Period.  If you don't get aerobic exercise (the kind that makes you lose weight) then you have to eat less to stay the same size, that is the drawback from not exercising, I can't eat as much as someone my age who does exercise.  But it is something I accept.  I love to walk.  I love nature and photography.  That is how I get in my exercise, never will it be in a gym.  WLS got me to walk more, to do many things, the gym.  No.  Never.

It's great you are doing it and very healthy.  It's probably the best addiction to have. Enjoy.

TheNewT
on 7/28/14 11:17 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I'm with you SkinnyScientist! I go to the gym regularly and I'm pre-op VSG. I admit that I love it. I have so much more energy when I go. I can't wait until I shed some extra weight and it becomes easier for a day. Then I have to kick it up a notch and increase intensity!! 

You do not have to have a degree to teach a class. SOME classes do require a certificate of some sort, but not all. I say you go for it. We spent enough time on the couch, now it's time to put that body into action!!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/29/14 6:45 am

Thanks!  I may just go for that certificate.

Have you tried BodyPump?  That is my new favorite thing. I burned around 560 calories (according to the heart rate monitor ) today in an hour. It is almost as good as step aerobics for calorie burning (for me).

Plus, I am getting strong arms out of it! No bat wings yet!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?