having a hard time ...

bigmetfan38
on 8/16/14 4:54 pm - los osos, CA
Revision on 07/15/14

so, i had the revision to the roux en y, to continue to lose weight, but mostly to get rid of this horrible  hiatal hernia that i had. the reflux caused by that hernia was ridiculous. i have to say that i had this reflux for 3 years, since i first had the vertical sleeve - but that didn't seem to help nearly as much as i wanted to. anyway, after living with the hernia, i had to have shoulder surgery twice - no more working out ... and we opened a business. all in all an extremely stressful, crazy time. i gained 40 of my 100 pound weight loss. i had gotten down to 180 before this time, and no matter what i tried, i was unable to lose anymore weight! i was not happy with this, but after that, i started gaining weight back and before i knew it, i was 220, with terrible heartburn and miserable. i went to see a dr. and he told me that my hiatal hernia could only be fixed if i had the roux en y. i was so desperate i did it! i am not unhappy that i did it because i don't have heartburn anymore. i am REALLY happy about that! however, i am 4 weeks out, and i already had to have one dilation, and i'm still not able to eat anything more than pureed foods. at the endoscopy, they told me i needed another one in about a month. i am so worried that i did the wrong thing. i have had a couple of patients (i'm an occupational therapist) who have been unable to stop losing weight at all - and who don't do well at all. i worry that it will happen to me. i still feel sick most of the time, and it's really anxiety provoking waiting to be able to eat! i also have to have carafate before i eat any meals, and before bed - it's pretty nauseating just drinking that stuff! anyone have this experience too? i am just worried ... 

Patm
on 8/16/14 10:20 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have not had this experience. It sounds awful. I just wanted to say I hope you can relax and get well.

Good luck with your healing

White Dove
on 8/16/14 10:41 pm - Warren, OH

The people who lose too much and look too thin during year two almost always gain back weight by year three.  Bounceback regain is a reality for most of us who have weight loss surgery.  You already know that you are not a person who cannot stop losing weight and you already know how easy it is to regain weight.  RNY will make weight loss easier during the first year or two because of malabsorption, but malabsorption of calories goes away.

You have another opportunity to get to a healthy weight, so make the most of it and let your body keep losing.  It will stop on its own at the point where it is comfortable.  You might look too skinny for a while, but you will not waste away to nothing.  I enjoyed my second year when I wore size 0 jeans.  I started regaining at 30 months out and never wore size 0 again.

My main exercise is water aerobics and some of the people in my classes have had shoulder surgery.  They work with their physical therapist to make sure that they are not hurting themselves with exercise.  But they still work out their legs and the rest of their body while babying their shoulders.  I can do so much more in the water and do it without having pain the next day.

You have gotten off to a rough start with your RNY, but I believe you will come through this and end up healthy and happy.  Do the best you can with water and protein.  Work hard on getting in all of your vitamins and supplements.  Being able to eat more will come back. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

karenp8
on 8/16/14 10:53 pm - Brighton, IL

I am so sorry that you have had such a rough start and I can see where you would worry,but worry doesn't really help anything. Follow your doctors directions and even though now it seems terrible this is the worst part. Soon you will be able to eat more normal foods and the weight will begin to drop off. You know how easy it is to gain weight back so there isn't any need to worry about losing too much. As White Dove said many people will get thin for a time but two to three years down the road will gain a bit back. Take advantage of this chance that you have to get healthy and fit and active. Start walking or doing some other exercise you enjoy and keep posting and sharing here as you progress on your journey too!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views