Nauesea after plastics question

Sarahakers11
on 8/19/14 10:29 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I have my BA and TT scheduled for Tuesday and I was reading over some instructions.  They list lorna doone or shortbread cookies for after surgery to help absorb acid.  Is this really necessary for us.  I ask cause if I understand correctly (and often I dont) where our food goes is not where the acid is sitting!  SOOO is that of any help? 

Thanks

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

chulbert
on 8/19/14 10:49 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Their instructions are probably not tailored for bariatric patients.  I don't imagine you'll have a problem.

Sarahakers11
on 8/19/14 10:58 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Yeah I didnt think so either.  My personal nurse (who is my sister and is a nurse for the PS but will be off and my personal nurse for a week) was like hmmmmmm I know you cant really eat short bread cookies (or at least I typically dont) shoud we do crackers.  I told her I dont think my stomach works that way and if its to absorb acid thats not gonna work!  I may call my PA and find out if I should take something else. I know they gave me something for naeusea but I dont think I have anything for acid reduction!

Thanks

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

jeterway
on 8/19/14 10:57 pm

I've had a few plastics procedures.  I never got instructions like that and didn't have any issues with nausea.  Unless nausea is an ongoing issue for you, I would think you would be fine.

Sarahakers11
on 8/19/14 10:59 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Thanks!

The Depressed Hiker Blog

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/14 12:16 am - OH

No, there is no need for you to eat cookies to absorb acid.  Your pouch has very little acid,  if nausea is a problem post-op, you can always call and ask the surgeon to call in a script for something.

I find it interesting that he is suggesting cookies to ANYONE! 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sarahakers11
on 8/20/14 12:25 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I have a script already for nausea...both a patch and a suppository :0   Yeah Im not sure either

The Depressed Hiker Blog

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/14 12:19 am

Taking benadryl with pain pills not only helped with the nausea from them but also with the itching.  Taking any antacid - if you worry about the acids - was also a great way for me...

Pain pills made me sleepy anyway - the benadryl helped with being able o just relax... and it helped with the itching... at the end - I used to take benadryl (1/2) with my late evening dosage of pain pills - and I was taking other allergy meds (with doc permission - the smallest dose ) if I need to help with nausea during the day..

Using ginger tea, peppermint tea 2-4 times a day also helped not only with nausea but with inflammation..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sarahakers11
on 8/20/14 12:27 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Great thanks.  I have started taking Arnica as well for inflammation and brusing. I cleared it with the PS and they said it was fine to start a week before and take it for up to 3 weeks after! 

The Depressed Hiker Blog

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views