9/15/2014 will be my 5 year anniversary ;) since my surgery I have put on 50 pounds..

deannhuss
on 9/9/14 7:09 am - Pensacola, FL

I need some support and motivation !!!

Karen H.
on 9/9/14 8:11 am
VSG on 12/08/14
Karen H.
on 9/9/14 8:19 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I am so sorry about your weight gain. I know this is heart breaking BUT "today" is the "first" day of the rest of your life! Start fresh..... get back in touch with your doctor and nutritionist. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Don't look at the weight gain, take small goals first and stay focussed. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. 

Best of Success!!

Karen H.
on 9/9/14 8:20 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I am so sorry about your weight gain. I know this is heart breaking BUT "today" is the "first" day of the rest of your life! Start fresh..... get back in touch with your doctor and nutritionist. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Don't look at the weight gain, take small goals first and stay focussed. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. 

Best of Success!!

deannhuss
on 9/9/14 9:56 am - Pensacola, FL

Thank you so much for the pep talk :) I am going to call my nutritionist first thing in the morning and start my new life again !!!

dragonlove
on 9/9/14 9:41 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Oh dear!  Well, the one good thing here is that you are aware of it and you are asking for help!  

Go back to your plan.  

Don't drink after your meals.  

Go stalk these forums and find new appealing recipes and use them.

Get your protein in and stop with the junk!

Drink plenty of fluids.

Did you follow the rules at first?  Have you just slacked off, or did you cheat from the beginning? We've heard both.

Try to focus on one day at a time - make a plan and stick to it.  We are here to help encourage you, but we can't do the work for you.

Good luck!  I hope you find the focus and motivation to turn this around!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

deannhuss
on 9/9/14 9:54 am - Pensacola, FL

After my surgery I was terrified to eat anything at all. I was paranoid and scared to death to eat. I became anorexic real quick. I went from 215 pounds to 93 pounds in just 5 months. Every day I would eat nothing but yogurt and drink my protein shakes. I didn't want to stretch my pouch out. After my doctor threatened to put me in the hospital for anorexia I decided to stop exercising and start eating whatever I wanted to. After doing that I went from 93 pounds to 118 and maintained that weight for the last 4 years. Now I have turned my addictions back to food. I'm at 149 now but I know if I don't stop eating like I am than I will be back to 215 before I know it. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 2:28 pm - OH

Are you currently working with a therapist on the food and addiction issues?  Clearly it isn't psychologically OR physically healthy to go from being obese to being way too thin and anorexic and then eating whatever you want and regaining weight.

Getting things on track psychologically is probably just as important as getting back on track in terms of food intake. 

As others have said, the best thing to do as far as food is go back to basics: a well rounded, protein forward, limited carb diet; lots of water (but not with meals or right after); limited portions.  It will probably also help you to track what you eat for a while.

Also, as already suggested, you may want to reconsider your "goal" weight.  Since you maintained at 118 for several years, that may be very attainable for you, but if you were using another substance to maintain that weight (since you mentioned turning your "addictions back to food"), it may not be realistic to maintain that weight without any substance use/abuse.

Having some type of support is also important.  Many of us who are several years out from surgery find that coming here on a regular basis helps keep us mindful and motivated.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

deannhuss
on 9/10/14 3:26 am - Pensacola, FL

No..I'm not working with a therapist on my food addiction. I need to. I'm going to make an appointment with my nutritionist and see what he can do yo help me. I was thinking about asking him if he will give me some type of diet pill. I have an addictive personality and my addictions change from time to time. Right now my addiction just happens to be food. I'm gonna try to transfer it to exercise again because I feel that would be the best addiction to have. I came back to this site for support and motivation and so far it seems to be helping. I don't have a real support system at home. I can only turn to friends and family on the internet. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/10/14 10:27 am - OH

I don't know of any nutritionists who are licensed to prescribe medications, but with an addictive personality, the last thing you need are diet pills, IMO.  (Besides, none of them work any better after surgery than they did before surgery... The same thing happens: you stop taking them and you regain any weight you lost while on them.)  

The goal shouldn't be to transfer addictions, but to eliminate the addictions and to find better coping skills. A counselor would also be a tremendous addition to your support system, and it sounds like you really need that.  Friends are great for moral support and encouragement, but they cannot really help you address the issues.  I would really strongly encourage you to seek out some help so you can be happy and successful long term.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views