Knee replacement 3 months post RNY

Mimi2Konnor
on 9/12/14 11:06 am
RNY on 06/03/14

I have done well with my weight loss (75+ pounds total) and went this week to see the surgeon about the possibility of getting my knee replacement.  In my mind I guess I expected him to say I still needed to lose more weight before surgery, but due to the severe problems with my knee, he wanted to go ahead and schedule surgery asap.  Due to a cancellation in his schedule I have surgery scheduled for 9/23!    My RNY was on June 3rd so I know this surgery is coming very quickly on top of the other, but believe me it has been a LONG time in the works.  I have had trouble with this knee since I was 14 years old.  I am wondering if anyone else has been through this surgery after RNY and if you have any suggestions or pointers for me?   

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

Racewalker48
on 9/12/14 11:27 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I had knee replacement surgery 5 weeks after RNY.  Usually, the orthopedic surgeon has his or her plan for your preparation for surgery.  It there are any tips to give, it would be these:

- If you are given strengthening exercises to do before surgery, try your best to do them.  You will need every bit of quad strength for your post op rehabilitation.  Manage your expectations post op.  

- Knee replacement surgery is major surgery, just like your RNY, so be kind to yourself and be prepared for hard work, and a likely longer healing time than your RNY.  Your surgeon, if they haven't already, should outline your post op plan. 

- If your surgeon offers some kind of pre op knee replacement class, please make every effort to attend.  These classes provide valuable information on what to expect before, during and after surgery, including things like preparing your home, physical therapy and equipment needed as you recover. 

I sincerely wish you a successful surgery and smooth recovery.  I am glad I had my surgery when I did.  In fact, I was so happy with my left knee, I am having my right knee replaced on October 13th. 

DaisyJ
on 9/12/14 10:12 pm
RNY on 05/22/13

I had my RNY May 22, 2013, then had my right total knee replacement on April 16, 2014 and left total knee replacement on Sept. 3, 2014.  The recovery from the TKR is much longer and more painful then the RNY.  The Physical Therapy after the TKR is crucial in determining the outcome. I had home health care PT for about 3-4 weeks and then went to PT 3 times a week for another 4-6 weeks after that with the first knee.  I will be doing the same on this second knee as I do feel that your progress and outcome is greatly enhanced by the PT.  I also had problems with my knees since I was a teenager and as the years went by and I put on more weight it only got worse.  I had hoped that loosing 195 lbs would fix the knee situation but unfortunately the damage was already done.  Having two TKR surgeries this year has been hard but I wanted to get it all in within this year for insurance purposes.  I am just barely into the recovery for the second knee but I am so looking forward to next year!  With brand new knees and all the weight gone I feel like the world is open to so many opportunities!  Can't wait for it!! Good luck with your TKR, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Starting weight 360, surgery weight 313, goal weight 150

gbsinsatx
on 9/12/14 10:32 pm - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page. I describe my experience with right knee replacement surgery in my blog entry.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Mimi2Konnor
on 9/13/14 8:17 am
RNY on 06/03/14

Thanks for the feedback!  Did any of you have any troubles with absorption with the pain meds?  Since we can't take NSAIDs did you just use Tylenol? 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

gbsinsatx
on 9/13/14 2:12 pm - San Antonio, TX

You are going to need more than Tylenol for 2-4 weeks post-op because the pain is very intense!!!  I took a Narcotic and Tylenol combination called Hydrocodone. Others have taken Trazadone or Vicodin. Just let your surgeon know you cannot take NSAID's.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

DaisyJ
on 9/13/14 7:09 pm
RNY on 05/22/13

I took Hydroco/Acetamin 10  (generic for norco 10)with the first knee back in April, taking the same with this current knee. It does a fairly good job on the pain relief but you have to stay on top of the pain control especially at first.  Take your meds on time and don't get behind the pain. No absorption issues as far as I know. You will need something stronger than just tylenol for several weeks.  

Starting weight 360, surgery weight 313, goal weight 150

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 2:56 am - OH

Not a chance, LOL.

As the others have said, you are looking at a number of weeks of narcotic pain meds!  I was on oxycodone for 2 weeks, then on Vicodin for another couple of weeks (trailing off to just taking it before bed and before physical therapy). Even once I stopped taking the Vicodin, I took Tramadol occasionally because Tylenol didn't come close to touching the kind of pain associated with knee replacement.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Racewalker48
on 9/17/14 12:46 am, edited 9/17/14 12:47 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I took oxycodone post op without acetaminophen for several weeks, and did just fine, the meds controlled my pain well.  Tylenol would not have touched my pain.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 2:52 am - OH

I had both of my knees replaced last year (2 separate surgeries) and, personally, I would not have a TKR just 3 months post op!  I am surprised that the ortho surgeon is willing to do it right now (I assume he knows you ad not 3 months out and  eating less than 1000 calories or day).

Your body is already under tremendous stress from the lack of calories and (probably) protein.  Knee replacement surgery is difficult even when you are nutritionally healthy (and takes a full year to completely heal from).  I would wait until your body is healthier.  Just my $.02 worth.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views