Finally!!!!!

questtobehealthy
on 9/14/14 8:37 am

So, after many, many road blocks and about a year of working on this process, I finally have a surgery date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be having RNY on 9/29/14. I will be starting my preop diet on 9/19. I'm super excited to finally have a date but I am getting scared because I have never had surgery before. I wonder if I should have my kids there the day of my surgery or have them come after school, wondering if there are essential items that I need to take with me to the hospital and when and how the "leak test" is done. Any positive comments or experiences are welcomed. I'm trying to remain very positive. I will be in the hospital on my birthday but what better present could I give myself, than good health :) Thanks in advance!

InTransition
on 9/14/14 9:37 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I have 5 children ranging in age from 20 to 5.  I had all but my two boys, who are 14 and 16 come up the first night.  My 5-year-old was very stressed about being away from me, and needed to come see that I was ok.  If it hadn't been for her emotions, I would have held off until day 2.  

The first day is the worst for pain.  The second day, it's more soreness, but if you have a drain, that will still be fairly uncomfortable.  Visiting with the kids for a couple of hours the second day did not bother me at all.  The biggest problem is they will get BORED.  There isn't much for them to do at the hospital.

For the leak test, they mix up barium, a clear, nasty tasting liquid.  You stand in front of a big x-ray machine, and they will have you take a swallow of the barium, and take pictures as it goes down.  I had to do 3 separate swallows to confirm everything was peachy.  It was nasty, for sure.  In your room they will give you some little sponges to wipe your mouth with water the first couple of days - take one with you to the swallow study and you can wipe your mouth out right away to get rid of the taste.  It's bad, but not awful - you'll be fine!

While in the hospital, I used my chapstick (God send), hair brush/bands, lotion, my cell phone and charger, a robe, and an outfit to go home in.  The outfit is really up to you - you can wear home what you wear to the hospital - just make sure it's comfy on your tummy.  Also for the robe, if you prefer they'll give you an extra gown to use as a robe.  You have to get up and walk, and it's nice to not have your hiney sticking out!

Take them up on the mesh panties.  If you have a drain, it will leak, and the mesh ones can just be thrown away.  Most bariatric surgery hospitals have the XL mesh panties, which fit me just a little tight, and I'm a size 30, so you should be fine.  

The less you take to the hospital, the better.

InTransition
on 9/14/14 9:41 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I forgot the 'when' for the swallow study - they did this the morning after my surgery.  So, my surgery was at 9am on Monday, the swallow study was around 10:30-11 on Tuesday.  I had no water in between those times, and you get VERY parched.  The only moisture you get in your mouth is the little bit on the sponge you can wipe your mouth out with.  

Sherrie P.
on 9/14/14 11:04 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I did not want my kids at the hospital - they were 11 and 14... and didn't need to see me in such rough shape. They were fine with that. 

I thought day two was the worst as far as pain was concerned - we all experience pain, healing and recovery differently so your story will be unique to you of course.

I took my own robe and bedroom shoes which I loved. My own granny panties too. Chapstick was about it.

I did not have a leak test - but my BFF did with a different doctor and they did hers the morning of day 2.

I hope you have an awesome experience!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

GodsChildII
on 9/14/14 12:05 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

This was my first ever surgery as well and all three of my children are adults. My daughter took me to the hospital that morning and stayed until my husband came up (after work) that evening. 

I did not bring anything with me and I was only in the hospital 24 hours. The leak test was done the day after surgery and they wheeled me down to the imaging room, gave me something to drink and the imaging was over within five minutes and I was wheeled back up to my room.

you will do absolutely fine and well on your way to your new/healthy lifestyle before you know it!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 12:27 pm - OH

Most surgeons do their leak testing while you are still in surgery rather than doing it the day after surgery.  That way they can take care do it immediately rather than having to do a second surgery if they find a leak the following day.

Most people really don't feel like visitors the day of their surgery (often they are pretty groggy from the pain meds much of the day/evening after surgery), but some do.  Some people don't want their kids to see them when they are in pain and/or nauseous and/or grumpy.  I guess it depends on the ages of your kids and whether or not they might be frightened or confused.  Personally, because of the possibility of the kids picking up germs in the hospital, if you are only going to be there for one day (or a day and a half, which is often the case), I wouldn't have them come at all.  The last thing you want is to be home only 2 or 3 days after surgery and have sick kids to care for.

I had my RNY the day before my birthday, but I was so excited to be getting it, and to finally have a chance at a life at a normal weight, that I didn't mind spending my birthday in the hospital at all. My RNY was open rather than laparoscopic, so I spent much of that birthday in a morphine haze, LOL.

The only things that I took to the hospital and really used -- even though I was there 4 days --  were my cell phone, my toiletries, my iPod, and my own pillow.  I used the hospital gowns so I didn't stain my own, and the hospital insisted that everyone wear their ugly non-skid slipper socks. I left the hospital in the clothes that I wore in (I was the first surgery of the day so only had them on about an hour that day).  A lot of people say they really need ex lip balm,but I was allowed ice chips as soon as I got to my room, so I didn't need it.

You will spend about 75% of your time sleeping or up walking the halls, so you really don't need magazines or entertainment items (especially if you are having lap surgery and will only be there one or two days).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

karenp8
on 9/14/14 10:20 pm - Brighton, IL

Everyone's experience will be different because all surgeons are different. My doctor did a leak test while I was still out in the operating room and I was able to drink water right away. They also did a second leak test the next morning to double check their work. The barium was chalky tasting but it was actually interesting to see how my insides worked. Yes I am a bit of a nerd! I used hospital gowns,one worn backwards as a robe and did not have a drain. I was up walking in the hall within half an hour of being in my regular room. Walk as much as yuou can as it helps with the gas pains. I only stayed one night in the hospital. Make sure to put a pillow from home in the car for the ride home to be placed over your stomach. Your stomach will be sore and probably bruised so it makes the seat belt more comfortable.

Manny32
on 9/15/14 4:43 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

take a pillow so when you have to walk around you can put it in your stomach it helps alot when you are walking.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views