Falling down a lot

Mocuevas1
on 10/19/14 9:15 am

Recently I've been falling down a lot and feeling out of balance. I'm 18 months out and have lost 125+ lbs. my husband said my body might be readjusting to being smaller. Anyone else ever have this happen? I've twisted my ankle several times and am getting concerned about it. 

MickeyDee
on 10/19/14 11:52 am

It's not uncommon for our bodies to be unaccustomed to the weight distribution being changed so quickly and by so much.  

I found it helped to get full-body massage a couple of times, as well as doing Yoga to help my body relearn it's parameters.

Mocuevas1
on 10/20/14 9:43 pm

Great ideas! Thanks so much!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/14 12:12 pm - OH

People do sometimes feel a bit unsteady as their body adjusts to a different size, but they normally don't report falling because of it.  If you are having that much trouble and are actually falling, you should probably consult your surgeon.  Are you also dizzy or lightheaded?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mocuevas1
on 10/20/14 9:42 pm

Thanks. Not dizzy or light headed. Just less stable on my legs. It's strange. 

Bibo
on 10/19/14 1:18 pm

So, I have had bad knees (ripped tendons and ligaments that can't be repaired yet because technology has not quite caught up with me. And lots of other medical stuff going on.  Had a HUGE weight loss before surgery, and history of falling before surgery, maybe once a week or better. AFTER surgery, i lost a huge amount again, and I developed carpal tunnel, in both hands, and was constantly bumping into things, falling more than usual etc.  Since i was already under a doctor's care, I got tested for a lot of things....MS....etc that never quite explained why I was having increased difficulty. My surgeon explained that the body's center of gravity shifts with huge weight loss (can also happen in pregnant women), and for some people life can become a balancing act. They did check all my vitamins and hydration etc, to rule out anything else. So I had sort of become resigned to a life of falling and carpal tunnel and since i use a wheelchair anyway, cause I have too much else still going on, I was not really thinking it could have anything to do with WLS.........so I went to see my orthopedic doc who had my muscle mass tested, and while I am not burning muscle, I am still basically not building muscle, especially in my quads and core, which help hold a person up and walking etc. So i started some PT  (I would have just used my trainer at the gym but I have some medical issues in the Nether Region and spinal stenosis so needed to be Careful)...It has not helped with the falling YET, but I can definitely tell that my body is responding.  I do have so many tears in those muscles and tendons that it will take me longer than the average bear to rebuild them, but my ortho doc said it is totally possible. The way i am looking at it is, that when i was fat, I was using my little tiny muscles to lug all that fat around, and now that the fat is gone, I can use my muscles to get stronger. It might take a while. They have me eating at the top of the protein limit for my height because that is what will help nutritionally.   Might not totally fix the falling, but It really seems to help to do quads, hamstrings, and core strengthing, provided Nothing Else is Wrong. Maybe your doc can order some physical therapy for you?  Good luck. 

Mocuevas1
on 10/20/14 9:41 pm

Wow. Glad to hear the PT helps. I'll have to look into that. Good luck with yours. Thanks!

selhard
on 10/20/14 12:24 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Sorry, but quite the opposite...I have had some nasty falls due to SMO amazed I didn't break anything. I have lost over 200# and find things like navigating through gardens, woods, pastures (we own a farm) much easier.  It sure sounds like worth seeking medical advice--seeing if it might be blood pressure, blood sugar, inner ear, getting older, medications, etc.  or just what your DH suggested.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/14 12:29 am - OH

My experience was also the opposite.  The extra 200 pounds (and the bad knees) made me much more unstable!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mocuevas1
on 10/20/14 9:39 pm

Interesting. I'm definitely less stable on my legs these days. Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics