MommyOfTaeya Update!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/14 3:29 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

It's been a couple of days since my RNY on Wednesday November 12th. 

The hospital sent me home after one night because I was doing well.

Ever since I got home, I've been extremely  nauseous and spitting sal****er.

Tonight I woke up when my daughter needed a feeding and noticed I was actually pain-free and able to roll onto my side. That's a big improvement. 

I was born with severe GERD and have struggled with it my entire life but so far after my surgery, I haven't seen any sign of it. Amazing!

As to be expected, I gained weight after surgery but tonight I found that I lost that weight PLUS 2-3 extra(:

I am trying hard to get in my water and just started sipping on my protein shake.

I tried chicken broth in the hospital and fell in love. That stuff tastes amazing! Lol

The more I walk, the worse I feel, so I am taking it a little easy. When I had my c-section last December, I walked and walked like they say to but I ended up in the ER with the incision split and a bad infection. I really don't want that to happen to any of my incisions this go around. 

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'm glad to finally be on the "Winners" bench and I know that it'll only get better from here on out!

I hope every one else who just had surgery is recovering well and everyone else is doing well with the RNY life-style.

I'll talk to you all soon (:

-Michelle

dccyr
on 11/14/14 6:51 pm

So glad you made it.  My only advice this early out is to stay off the scale. Your weight fluctuates so much right after surgery, you will go nuts if you hop on the scale too much.  And you should be concentrating on sipping and walking and sipping and walking at this point.  

You've got this!

Marilyn101
on 11/14/14 8:52 pm - FL

So glad you are on your way to recovery, good luck and keep us posted.

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/14/14 10:37 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Yay 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/14/14 10:57 pm - OH

Um... post-op walking doesn't cause incisions to split open nor does it cause infections. (Getting up and down improperly from a seated or prone position can cause pulling of stitches, though, so be aware of how you are straining those muscles during positional transitions and try to provide some support (a pillow held firmly against your abdomen can help OR you can ask for a binder)). Once you are up, though, walking cannot cause damage to anything.

What NOT walking can cause is a blood clot (or deep vein thrombosis) which could then turn into a pulmonary embolism or other fatal event. Your weight puts you -- as it did all of us -- at a higher risk for clots and embolisms, so the requirement (not just "suggestion") to walk every few hours post-op has a very serious medical rationale. Don't risk orphaning your child (or having to be away from her for an extended period of time while you are hospitalized) just because you don't feel as good walking as you do sitting in a chair or in bed!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

snow_white
on 11/14/14 11:07 pm
RNY on 11/11/14 with

Im so happy for you.  Mine was the 11th but im stilloin extreme pain.  Im having trouble getting all the recomended stuff Iin but trying hard.  Its so great tonhave others tongo through this journey with.  Keep up the good work!

White Dove
on 11/14/14 11:17 pm - Warren, OH

My surgeon only had one patient who died right after surgery.  She did not feel like walking and kept sitting after surgery.  She developed a blood clot and died a few days after her RNY.  I started on the treadmill the day I came home from the hospital.  I could only do five minutes at a time, but I kept it up.  In a month I could do 30 minutes and in two months had no problem doing 60 minutes at a time.

I had the DVD player in front of the treadmill and only allowed myself to watch a movie while I was exercising.  That gave me incentive to get on the treadmill and see the rest of the movie.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 11/15/14 1:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Walk anyway.  Only ever doing things that are easy and comfortable is part of the reason many of us got to the point where we opted for surgery.  Get outside of your comfort zone.  Do things that you don't expect you can do.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 11/15/14 2:07 am

Within 4 weeks of my last surgery, the gastrectomy, I was walkimg 3+ miles 3 times a week. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 11/15/14 5:39 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Congratulations on being on the other side. Make sure you walk, it just doesn't have to be a lot at one time. Just carefully get up often. Don't cross your legs and elevate your feet when you can if you are sitting. I had my surgery on a Wednesday too, and by Monday I was really starting to feel better, and one week later, I was still tired sometimes but couldn't believe how good I felt.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 474 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 392 views