What does eating feel like for you?

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/14 11:34 am
RNY on 11/17/14

Trying to figure out if it this is normal and how it's going to be for life.

When I eat (on pureed stage right now) and sometimes drink, I get a 'stuck' feeling in the middle of my chest. I never feel 'satisfied' or the usual 'food going into my belly' sensation that I had pre-surgery.  I realize some things were going to change, but I also am hoping this isn't what it's going to be like when I heal, either.

It doesn't matter of its one bite or more. Small or large. The moment food and drink comes into my body I get this horrible pressure in my chest that feels like I have to burp, but can't burp. 

Will this ever go away or is this my new "full" sensation?

unrulyjulie
on 11/27/14 12:30 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I get the same feeling, I figure it is one bite to much.  If I go two bites to much then it also hurts between my shoulder blades.

phibbmom
on 11/27/14 1:02 pm

My nutritionist told me that was my new full sensation.  I told her I don't feel full, but I do feel a pressure right below my ribs. 

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

White Dove
on 11/27/14 1:22 pm - Warren, OH

You used to have a big 2-liter soda bottle sized stomach, now you have a tiny little pouch in the middle of your chest.  Pouch will get bigger and a year from now should hold at least eight ounces of food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 11/27/14 1:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

it will probably change. I am 4 months out and I always had that stuck feeling not so much anymore. Around the 2 1/2 to 3 month mark I went through a burping like crazy.... now that doesn't really happen anymore. I will get uncomfortable if I eat that one too many bite... but it is not that same stuck feeling. When food really did get stuck as I was transitioning to real food it was because I ate too fast, didn't chew enough of the food was dry.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tigerdmw
on 11/27/14 10:02 pm

I'm just about 5m out and I still get that feeling from time to time.  One thing that helped me in the beginning is to undo my bra.  Even that slight pressure was just too much. I've taken to wearing tank tops with a "boob shelf" most of the time now and it makes a world of difference!  Sounds crazy but give it a try.  Another thing that helped me was to try and swallow a tiny bite like it was a HUGE one.  You know like when you take a several pills at once?  For whatever reason I didn't  get spasms then.  When they say don't take a bite bigger than a small pea, believe them!  It's a pain in the butt but it does work.  Make sure the food you are eating is VERY liquid too. I know even some veges were just  too thick for me. I would take a tiny bite, then a TINY sip of water and swish them around together in my mouth before swallowing.  

Good luck to you!  I hope it continues to improve for you!

cspotrun
on 11/27/14 10:33 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

My fullness felt like you describe at first but now it feels a lot more like eating in the past.  But it takes a fraction of the amount of food to feel that fulness than it did before.

Karen   

Friends K.
on 11/28/14 3:10 am
RNY on 01/14/14

Interesting, mine feeling is exactly like it was presurgery except I feel full earlier if I eat protein first.  No pressure. No stuck. No pain. I did have a few stuck moments early out, but not now

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

wrussell3
on 11/28/14 8:04 am - NC

I'm almost 3 and half years out and remember the feeling you speak of.  Truth is, it gets better.  But, for me, that feeling still happens randomly.  If you do a search here on big & small pouch days, you will see that this sensation can come and go at a whim.  I feel that if you continue to do what is on your surgeon's plan you will see a difference.  You also need to remember that your stomach is still healing and these sensations could be a part of that process.

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/14 2:41 pm
RNY on 11/17/14

Thank you all for the replies. I was having a bit of a meltdown last night after two weeks of choking on pureed food and water. I feel calmer now that it seems to be part of the healing process and will (hopefully) get  better over time. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics