I need help

Caroline K.
on 12/3/14 10:33 am

Yeah, I've heard that occasional (rare) use of NSAIDS may be ok if really needed, but it's not recommended in general. Probably a general "cover your ass"/"better safe than sorry" statement...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

christina92020
on 12/3/14 5:22 am

Carolina I don't  have  GERD. So that  wouldn't be in issue. My only  thing  about  the  RNY that I think  about  is not  getting  enough  nutrition.  I know  you  can  take supplements but you still  don't  absorb every thing. My cousin  had the sleeve & he said  that having the sleeve  was  hard enough he would  not get the RNY. I just  wondering how different  is the RNY.

Caroline K.
on 12/3/14 10:40 am

Well, I was already taking supplements since I knew I wasn't eating a large enough variety of fruits & vegetables before RNY, so taking a few more is no big deal for me. If you have a hard time with pills or chewable vitamins, need NSAIDS or don't have GERD, then the sleeve may be a good choice assuming there are no other reasons it would be a problem. But your surgeon really should be looking at your individual situation and helping you come to a choice with which you're comfortable.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

yvonnaj
on 12/3/14 9:46 pm
VSG on 08/03/15

Thanks for the information Caroline. 

QoftheU
on 12/3/14 1:40 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

NO NSAIDS.  PERIOD  Unless you're having a heart attack and need to take an aspirin, they are completely verboten for RNY'ers.  Why risk an ulcer in your remnant stomach?  VERY dangerous.  Tylenol works fine.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Han Shot First
on 12/3/14 9:33 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

For me, before surgery, Tylenol wouldn't work at all.  I had to take Motrin for headaches or any pain.  After surgery, I find Tylenol works much better than before.  And a lot quicker.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

QoftheU
on 12/4/14 1:29 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Interesting... I wonder what the science is behind that.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Han Shot First
on 12/4/14 1:49 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm curious also, and I don't know for sure.  Maybe getting absorbed more quickly in the intestines?

--

150 lost and maintaining!

QoftheU
on 12/4/14 6:27 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

ya - a possibility!

MsBatt
on 12/4/14 2:10 am

There's a third option, and given your high BMI it's one you REALLY need to research. It's called the Duodenal Switch, and it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It has the same fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more aggressive than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. (Both the RNY and the Ds cause permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, but only the DS gives permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of calories.)

The DS also has the very best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol, and it allows you to still take NSAIDs, or any other medication you might ever need.

Not all surgeons do the DS---it's the most technically difficult form of WLS to perform. (Apparently sewing the duodenum is very tricky---I've heard it compared to sewing wet tissue paper.) This means that your current surgeon probably doesn't do the DS, and depending on where you live, you may have to travel to get to a DS surgeon. That said, you should base your choice of WLS procedure on what's going to be best for you in the long-term, not on what's most convenient in the short term. Choose your procedure first, then choose your surgeon based on his or her experience in doing the procedure that YOU want.

You might want to visit all the various surgical boards here, including the Revision board.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 71 views
Recent Topics