BYPASS OR SLEEVE

Lifejourney
on 1/22/15 2:20 am

HI I WENT FOR A CONSULT YESTERDAY,  I WENT THINKING THE SLEEVES WOULD BE BEST BUT HE SUGGESTED BYPASS NOW I AM SO CONFUSED OVER THE DIFFERNCE IN THEM. I AM A 46 YEAR OLD FEMALE.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP! 

WicketsMom
on 1/22/15 3:38 am

I was also thinking of the sleeve, but my doctor also recommended the bypass.  His reasoning is that the bypass achieves better results and if you are disappointed in the sleeve your insurance is most likely not going to pay for another surgery so you might as well go with what will achieve the best results to start with.  So I went with the bypass.  Good luck to you!

Lifejourney
on 1/22/15 3:41 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT..

kwashington09
on 1/22/15 3:52 am

You will get many different opinions on this one. I suggest you the have the surgery that the doctor you are using is the best at performing. I had the sleeve in 2010 lost 100lbs never made it to my goal weight but at 160 I was pretty happy. Then I got pregnant, I had the worse acid flux, pain, and pressure ever. I noticed prior to preganancy lots of gas and heartburn but once I was pregnant it was unbearable the only foods I could tolerate where the ones easy to slide down and unhealthy so I gained about 60 pounds back from the initial weight loss. After the baby was born a year later still not much weight loss and even more pain in the stomach and severe acid reflux. So 2 doctors later (finally found someone who didnt think I just lazy or crazy) this dr did a scope and discovered by stomach was twisted due to the way the sleeve was done. He read the notes and also saw that my previous dr was conservative on the way in made my pouch, it was not stretched it was cut in manor that left a bigger bulge at the bottom so after it healed I was able to eat more food. This was the root cause of all the pain and acid reflux and why it was so hard to get the weight back off since my stomach was completely healed. I had the RNY in Sept 2014 so far it is going good. Acid reflux has improved tremendously the pain is gone and I am down 65 pounds. I honestly wish I would have made the RNY my first option.

Cathy W.
on 1/22/15 4:08 am

What reasons did your surgeon tell you that a RNY procedure would be best for you?  Does your surgeon do both procedures?  In a few situations, a surgeon may recommend one procedure over another because he/she does not perform the other procedure.  Not saying this is the case for you but wanted to run it by you.  The reasons for the recommendation are important. 

Both the RNY and VSG procedures are excellent.  Different but good, solid procedures with successful outcomes for thousands of post-ops. 

The RNY is a restrictive and malabsorptive procedure and the VSG is a restrictive procedure.  If you wanted to have a revision, the VSG would be a much better procedure because it is the beginning of a DS procedure. 

Check out the links below for information on both procedures:

RNY
VSG

You could post on both the RNY (a new post since you're already on the RNY message board) and VSG message boards that asks members why they selected the procedure that they did.  That could provide you with good insights from the input of other post-op members.
All the best of luck to you. 

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Lifejourney
on 1/22/15 4:21 am

HI CATHY,

HE THOUGHT BECAUSE OF MY AGE "46" AND LONG TERM WOULD BE BEST. IT IS EXTREMLY HEART WARMING TO ALL THAT HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO REPLY TO MY CONCER. THIS IS SUCH AN EMOTIONAL JOURNEY RIDE FOR ME. I WANT THIS SURGERY LIKE THE AIR I BREATH.TIME SHALL TELL. GOD BLESSED ALL THAT HAVE ANSWERED. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

kokosuggs
on 1/22/15 10:19 am

I had the RNY this past Monday...so far so good..I don't hear as good of reports on the VS...That's just from what Ive seen on here..Good luck to you!

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/15 2:54 pm, edited 1/22/15 2:55 pm

There are loads of good reviews on the sleeve on OH.  I had the sleeve surgery in Sept. 14 and have lost over 60 pounds and am fifty five pounds from my goal. The RNY has short term malabsorbtion for a lifetime of taking vitamins and never being able to take NSAIDS. After the first few weeks, I had absolutely no problem with the sleeve and I am over sixty.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/22/15 2:38 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had the sleeve two and a half years ago, am at my goal weight and happier than I could have ever imagined. I had no complications and no problems of any sort. No reflux or anything. Just lost the weight and have a normal life basically. No malabsorption of vitamins and nutrients, no risk of marginal ulcers, I can take NSAIDs if I ever need them, no dumping or RH. I have the exact same digestive system as before, just a smaller stomach.

restriction works for me and the VSG was the right choice for me. You have to research all surgeries and make the right choice for you.

longer term weight loss and maintenance results for sleeve and RNY are more or less on par. 

You can be successful with either one and there really isn't one clearly better apart from the DS in terms of weight loss and keeping it off. It all depends on your lifestyle and what you are prepared to live with.

interestingly enough and contrary to the previous poster I have read the opposite on OH in terms of complications of the RNY vs the Sleeve. I guess its all a question of perspective.

good luck in your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 402 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 392 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 247 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics