Chewing to applesauce consistency? What if I can't or don't? Can I just stay on full liquids...

Semaenlightened
on 4/21/15 11:41 am
RNY on 03/25/15

I am almost 4 weeks out so I am trying to introduce new foods like the program I am in outlines.  Fish was fine, tuna fish was fine, fat free re-fried beans again fine.  Lean deli meat fine. I am struggling with chewing ground turkey to an applesauce consistency and it makes me nervous, I try...chew chew chew chew...but there are still little pieces...both times I have tried it I ended spitting a lot out and could only get about 1/2 and ounce down.  Not because my pouch was telling me no, but because I have been to afraid to swallow it. HELP PLEASE!! I had to work a lot with the nutritionist and psyche person because I did not want to transition to solids at all due to anxiety of choking/blockage etc.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 11:55 am - OH

Some things just don't ever get to quite applesauce consistency no matter how much you chew.  (Ever try to chew a carrot to that consistency?? Not EVER going to happen, LOL!)  The best you can do with some foods -- with almost all dense proteins, in fact -- is a very finely ground up consistency. Beef and pork, for example, are never going to be applesauce like.

There is no reason to worry yourself about getting it stuck, though, just because there are still very small pieces. Think of your stoma as an opening about the size of one of those big pencils that little kids use when they are first learning to write (or not quite the size of a dime). If you do that, you can see that it won't clog easily if you chew things reasonably well. You just cannot get away with what many people do pre-op: chew 5 or 6 times and then swallow!  

You are worrying too much. Even if you don't chew something quite enough, you aren't at any higher risk of choking than you were before surgery, and if you are chewing your food even reasonably well, it won't get stuck.  Just relax and chew every thing the best you can.

The reason for chewing so well is actually two fold: to avoid getting food stuck, and to utilize your teeth and saliva to break down the food and try to compensate some for the lack of stomach "juices" in your pouch that the food would normally be subjected to in the natural stomach. Chewing well also allegedly helps avoid constipation (I have heard that several places but have never seen any actual medical article supporting that.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Semaenlightened
on 4/21/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback and never looked at it like you did about the pencil.. I thought it was the diameter of a normal #2 pencil eraser so I was freaking out a bit....I am so glad I can ask questions here!

SkinnyScientist
on 4/21/15 11:31 pm

Does chewing well stop the stoma from stretching?  What are people doing that gets so many stomas stretched?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/22/15 1:05 am - OH

It doesn't stop stoma stretching, but it eliminates the possibility of stoma stretching due to food that is improperly chewed being forced through it.

Unless you are aware of something that I am not, there aren't "so many stomas stretched". According to my surgeon less than 20% of the people she ordered scopes on (who were gaining weight and swore that they were following their food plan) had a stoma OR pouch that were enlarged beyond what is normal and expected.  The surgeons that I currently work for part time report similar statistics.  That means that over 80% of the time the problem of regain is not mechanical, but is what people are eating.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

brandycain
on 4/21/15 1:39 pm

My surgeon said to put a little meat tenderizer in some water and drink it if something feels stuck.  Anyone else hear this?

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

Semaenlightened
on 4/21/15 2:40 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

hmmm I never heard that.....hey did u finally poop??? I hope so...I have had some issues with impaction and constipation...and its not fun.  The program I am in says if you don't have a bm in 3 days you have to let them know.  I have had to give myself enemas and take miralax

melissasue1982
on 4/21/15 11:14 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

My program says to do this as well :)

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

selhard
on 4/21/15 11:37 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

yes, but never tried it.  I chose to use a chewable tablet called Papaya enzyme instead. I found this at a pharmacy. This chewable helps break down protein but it is advised to use sparingly because it could be hard on the lining of your stoma.  I've had that stuck feeling less than six times in the last two years.  I don't think it's because I'm careful--I think it's because I've never really had much restriction to begin with :(

Chilipepper
on 4/22/15 1:04 am

Noooooooooo.  No meat tenderizer or papaya enzyme. You will cause more damage to your pouch. Any surgeon who says that to a new postop should have his license revoked. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 88 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 308 views