Chewing to applesauce consistency? What if I can't or don't? Can I just stay on full liquids...

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/15 8:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I know it's worrisome, but you'll need to make the transition eventually. It's best to do it on your surgeon's schedule. If you do everything the way you've been instructed, you'll be fine.

Turkey and chicken can be tough for most people for a while. After deli meat, steak was ok, but hamburger was harder, and I couldn't do pork for a long time.

It's better to be a little worried than fearless. But TOO worried won't help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 4/21/15 10:49 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Somewhere around 3-6 months post-op, my anxiety about chewing well enough dissipated.  I wish I had it back.

siberiancat
on 4/21/15 11:21 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I agree with everything said.  I would also advise adding a little moisture to help swallow.  Use some salsa, marinara, broth, fat free salad dressing, mustard - you get the idea.  I find I need moisture in my meat - even ground meat.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Jen H.
on 4/22/15 12:40 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I do have things get "stuck" every once in a while.  It's not comfortable, sometimes down right hurts, and my body's reaction isn't to bring it back up, it's to start producing saliva like a drooling St. Bernard.  I assume that is to help break down the bite.

It's not pleasant, but it's not bad enough to get all worked up over either. I would hazard a guess and say it has happened to nearly everyone at some point. I find I do much better when I am mindful while eating (not anxious, just paying attention). When I am distracted with something - even good conversation - it happens more often.

Take it slow, chew small bites as much as you can, and be mindful while eating. You'll do fine!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/22/15 1:06 am - OH

That saliva production is referred to as "foamies"....

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jen H.
on 4/22/15 3:54 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I always wanted to ask if that is what that meant.  LOL. 

lcraver
on 4/22/15 1:24 am, edited 4/22/15 1:25 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

I am 7 weeks postop and ate some steak for the 1st time last night. My husband had sliced it before cooking because he was making a philly cheese steak for himself. I ate 2 ozs. of steak and it did not sit well. It was moist but my pouch still did not like it. Roast turkey is the same. I haven't tried grilled chicken yet... but I  have a feeling that it would be the same. So, I will try them again later.

The chewing will soon become automatic. I still find that I take way to big of bites, but I just swallow a little at a time. I also eat too fast. It's all a learning process. At least there is no way that I could shovel food in the way I use to...lol. I do love my pouch for that!

Trying new foods can be scary, but you have to do it. I do all my new foods at home so if it doesn't agree then I have privacy.  Good luck!

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 268 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 317 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics