Carbs.....how many??

JB1114
on 5/8/15 1:10 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I'm nearly 7 years out so I should have this eating down, but apparently I don't.  During one of my post-op visits, the dietician told me I should have a minimum of 130 good carbs daily just for the brain to function.  That just doesn't work for me.  I have a 12 lbs. regain and just can't seem to get rid of those lbs.  The last 6 months I've been on a temp job and sitting all day.  I exercise but not regularly and I know I need to exercise daily. This job will end May 28th and I plan to take the summer off so no excuses for not exercising.

What should the limit for carbs be to lose weight?  Why doesn't a plan for 1,200 calories where you are eating healthy but including fruit and some starches not work?  I tried it and didn't work for me.  Do our new stomachs just not process carbs, healthy or not, like a normal stomach? 

I can't allow myself to fail and gain more weight.  I was on some weight loss program for 35 years before surgery and nothing worked.  I know RNY works and I want to work it to my advantage.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Ladytazz
on 5/8/15 1:50 pm

As a general rule I allowed myself a limit of 100 grams of carbs a day, tried to keep it around 50 but there are a lot of carbs in things like Greek yogurt so I wasn't always able to.

For maintenance I don't really count carbs.  I watch them and avoid really high carb things on a regular basis but I avoid refined carbs like sugar and flour.  For me where the carbs from are as important as how many I consume.

Almost everything I eat that has carbs are in their natural state, like fruits and vegetables, and not refined or processed.

As someone recently posted, not all carbs are alike.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rocky513
on 5/8/15 2:28 pm - WI

Vegetables have carbs in them as well as dairy.  You do not have to get your carbs from starchy, processed food or fruit.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 8, 2015 at 1:10 PM Pacific Time, JB1114 wrote:

I'm nearly 7 years out so I should have this eating down, but apparently I don't.  During one of my post-op visits, the dietician told me I should have a minimum of 130 good carbs daily just for the brain to function.  That just doesn't work for me.  I have a 12 lbs. regain and just can't seem to get rid of those lbs.  The last 6 months I've been on a temp job and sitting all day.  I exercise but not regularly and I know I need to exercise daily. This job will end May 28th and I plan to take the summer off so no excuses for not exercising.

What should the limit for carbs be to lose weight?  Why doesn't a plan for 1,200 calories where you are eating healthy but including fruit and some starches not work?  I tried it and didn't work for me.  Do our new stomachs just not process carbs, healthy or not, like a normal stomach? 

I can't allow myself to fail and gain more weight.  I was on some weight loss program for 35 years before surgery and nothing worked.  I know RNY works and I want to work it to my advantage.

Your dietician is wrong. You don't actually need to eat ANY carbs at all, though zero carbs is incredibly difficult. Your brain does need a very small amount of carbs, but your body can synthesize what it needs from protein and fat. 

Protein and fats are essential because your body cannot produce them, they must be eaten. Carbs are not essential at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lynnc99
on 5/8/15 9:40 pm

At close to 6 years out, I am "allowed" 80-100 gm. of carbs but feel my best when I don't eat that many. My carbs generally come from fruit, veggies, and "whole" sources - I don't use dairy, and steer clear of rice and pasta. I have an occasional baked sweet potato and an occasional dinner roll, but that's about it. 

selhard
on 5/9/15 9:52 pm, edited 5/9/15 9:57 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My DD says I rely too much on dairy for daily protein and now you're probably confirming her observation.  You really don't eat Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, cottage cheese or milk?  Dang.

JB1114
on 5/10/15 5:40 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I eat cheese and Greek yogurt.  I eat plain Greek yogurt daily for awhile then I quit eating it for awhile.   Sometimes I add a few blackberries.  Fage is my favorite brand.  Don't like cottage cheese at all.  I make a salad with cottage cheese, sugar free Jello and Cool Whip that I really like.  I have a protein check daily, sometimes two.  I add a serving of Sytrax Roadside Lemonade to water and sip on that.  Good way to get protein.  I do add Crystal Lite to that.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

lynnc99
on 5/10/15 7:53 pm

I don't eat those things but please be clear - it's a personal choice. I did use dairy for a long time but slowly found myself consuming less and less until it was almost nothing. The last hold out was cheese - which my dietitian says is probably too high in fat for me to use very often. Cheese stick**** me as way too salty for some reason. 

gbsinsatx
on 5/9/15 7:08 am - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. I eat simple carbohydrate dairy products that are no fat or low fat. I eat eggs. I eat complex carbohydrate beans. I also eat simple carbohydrate fruit and complex carbohydrate vegetables and whole grains. I do not count daily carb grams. All carbs are not created equal. I definitely refrain from eating refined carbs.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

JB1114
on 5/10/15 5:43 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Looks like you have it figures out gbinsatx.  You are a success for sure!!  I've looked at a Vegetarian diet, but I enjoy beef, chicken and fish.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?