My dog has proven to me that carbs make us fat

cspotrun
on 7/17/15 7:41 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

See this guy right here??

His name is Jethro.  His nickname is Ninja Pup.  Looks innocent enough, right?  This crazy dog was a stray on a highway in Kentucky over 7 years ago when a friend picked him up and we took him in.  He was starving and a mess.  He clearly had never lived in a home, was afraid of steps, appliances, doors, etc.  Anyway, he has acclimated and is a sweet and wonderful dog....however, he is SO BAD and SO SMART, which is a dangerous combination.  He can open any door, cabinet, refrigerator, etc.  And he never seemed to forget that he was once starving.  We feed him expensive food twice a day, at the same time, yet he always wants more and stalks the kitchen.  To say we have to be vigilant is an understatement.  But we also have kids, who I swear are his accomplices.  We have installed doors and child proof everything everywhere in the house so he won't steal food.  When he does get past our blockades, he always goes for things like breads and other carb heavy foods.  And when he does eat those loaves of bread, rolls, crackers, or cereal, he immediately has a tummy and looks chubby for days!  We have to cut his food back when this happens. 

While he doesn't seem to care or have any body image issues, he has convinced me that carbs make us fat!!

Karen   

Thomas H.
on 7/18/15 11:05 am - Saint Petersburg, FL

My doggie was a carb-o-holic too. She loved breads and crackers, her favorite was spaghetti. People used to tell me not to feed her that stuff it was bad for her, but she was 15 when she passed. I still miss that dog. :)

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

Emiepie
on 7/18/15 11:51 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Sooo cute too!!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

cspotrun
on 7/18/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

yes, his good looks have saved him on multiple occasions.

Karen   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/18/15 3:57 pm - OH

LOL.  Bad (cute) dog! I have one that is too smart and too mischievous for her own good, too!

Some of the extended belly when he gets into the breads, etc., may be bloating.  Those kinds of foods can cause severe bloating in some dogs.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

supershopper
on 7/18/15 9:23 pm

Love rescue pups! Our chihuahua was only 4 pounds when he was found. Too underweight to even be fixed! He's a happy 7 pounds now and a major chow hound. We have to watch him or he will dive bomb my plate!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

cspotrun
on 7/18/15 10:09 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Lol I'm picturing a little 7 pound guy dive bombing a plate! One of my bunnies weighs more than that!

Karen   

The Salty Hag
on 7/19/15 8:53 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Aww, what a cutie! He looks so innocent in this picture!

In my teens, my parents had a little terrier mix named Tippy. She was a roly-poly little thing. She'd sit riiiiight by my dad's feet when he would get himself something to eat. She'd stare very intently at him. Inevitably, he'd drop something and she'd snatch it and run away with it. We started saying she was "telepathetic". My mom and I would hear him booming "Damn it, Tippy!" from the kitchen and we'd both crack up.

Later on in life, Tippy started getting two vanilla wafers as a bedtime snack. She was even more roly-poly. She lived until she was 16 though! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

cspotrun
on 7/19/15 8:58 am
RNY on 07/01/14

He does look innocent....it's his super power.

Awwww, Tippy sounds like a great dog.  Love those kinds of memories!

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?