BODY SHAMING

Sarahakers11
on 9/9/15 6:00 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

It is terrible and it happens to all sizes.  My sister was under 100lbs when she got married.  she was less then 90 in high school and all skin and bones.  She ate like a horse ..she did not have an eating disorder..she just was that way.  She filled out eventually but I remember her coming home once crying because people would call her anorexic or say things about how skinny she was.  She use to always say you know people talk about how mean it is to call someone fat but don't think it is to call someone skinny she was just as hurt.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

SkinnyScientist
on 9/9/15 9:05 am

I too have experienced it both ways.

Sometimes, I really want to kick myself when I would think about thin people "she should just eat a hamburger".  It is odd to think that some people have just as much problems gaining weight as I did losing..but it is true!  I had a roomate like that.

Anyhow, I never believed that THIN-shaming happened until it happened to me.

And then it was like "Wow"

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

The Salty Hag
on 9/9/15 12:31 am, edited 9/9/15 12:32 am
RNY on 05/20/13

People, in general, just suck. 

I'm sure I got looks, stares, snickers, and guffaws at my expense when I was M.O. I'm sure most of us did. I never really paid attention to other peoples' reactions to me. 

I remember only one instance when someone actually called me fat, nasty, and stinky to my face. ( Along with other nice insults. )  He was a regular customer at a grocery store at which I worked. He was always flirting with the young female cashiers, and he hated to have to go through my line. One late night, he and some friends came in. He was drunk, came up to the registers to the other female cashier with a 12 pack of beer, and I told her we could not sell it to him. He told me to stay out of it, it was none of my business. I told him "I work here, you're inebriated, it IS my business. We can't sell this to you." He got mad and started spewing insults. I looked down at my obese body and feigned surprise. "Huh..weird. I was a size 6 when I left my house this afternoon. I HATE when this happens!" He continued on, getting more and more descriptive, and I countered ( Thanks for letting me know I'm fat, sir...I had NO CLUE. ) with more humor. At one point, I actually laughed at his feeble attempts to degrade me. He didn't like that, and got even more nasty. I threatened to mention his words to me to his wife when I saw her next. His eyes got HUGE...lol. He was sooo afraid of her. 

He ended up being pulled out of the store by his friends ( sans beer, of course ) when my manager finally came up to the front and basically banned him for life and threatened to call the cops if he didn't leave. A few days later, he came in to the store and apologized to me, and his ban was lifted. He never said another unkind word to me. He also could never fully look me in the eye again, no matter how much I spoke to, greeted, smiled at, or interacted with him. I think he was truly afraid I'd say something to his wife...bwahahaha. ( She was also a plus sized woman, and I think she'd have kicked his ass if she knew what he'd said. ) 

edited for typos. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 9/9/15 9:01 am

So true. But you know what? I get body shamed skinny!

Yep. I was literally told in Soma, getting bras, that since I didnt need skin surgery I could take the money that I saved and get BREAST IMPLANTS INSTEAD.

So, as a MO person, I was a stupid, lazy fat cow that couldnt stay away from buffets

And as a thin person, I am still "not worth it" because my 34A s are just so damn abhorbently (sic) small.

It just goes to show, you can make society as a whole unhappy ALL OF THE TIME.

PS...I love my 34 A's.  I can wear XS/S tops. What a wonderful problem to have. I will NEVER get implants

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views