measuring success

poet_kelly
on 1/14/16 5:43 pm - OH

My RNY was over six years ago now and I don't post here very often because, I guess, I am busy with other things.  And I don't think about being a WLS patient so much anymore.  I still eat differently than non-WLS folks but it is normal for me now.

I am currently about five pounds over my goal weight, and that's just fine with me.  For a while I was below goal, for a while I was about 10 pounds heavier than I am right now, then I got a bit more physically active and lost 10 pounds.  I'm fine with where I am right now.

Today I was thinking about how we measure success and how much more meaningful non-scale-related things can be.  I mean, I am glad I am close to my goal weight.  But what really means a lot to me?

Today I went hiking with my dog.  When I had my surgery, I got out of breath climbing one flight of stairs.  I do not like exercise and did not exercise consistently after having my RNY, even though I knew I "should."  But I have a dog now, a service dog that I got three years ago, a yellow lab named Isaac.  Isaac LOVES exercise.  He needs it.  And he is a good motivator.

We went hiking at a state park.  There is a trail that is one mile (two miles round trip) that goes to a waterfall.  About 18 months ago I took Isaac to that same park and we started to hike that same trail.  Parts of it were really steep and I ended up turning back.  It was too challenging for me.  I couldn't do it.

But for the last 18 months, I have been hiking almost every day with my dog.  And I can do so much more now than I used to be able to do.  Today I decided to try that trail again.  And we made it all the way to the falls.  I was tired by the time we got back to the car, but it wasn't that difficult.  I was able to do it and it wasn't even that hard.

This feels like success to me.  No matter what the number on the scale is.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/14/16 5:59 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am hoping no one asks you a vitamin question; rather read your words of success, understand how much it means to you, and be happy for you and Isaac. 

poet_kelly
on 1/14/16 6:26 pm - OH

I don't mind vitamin questions. 

But really, I hope other people will enjoy their achievements and not focus solely on what the scale says.

I would so rather be able to hike two miles to see a waterfall than be a few pounds lighter.  Not that those have to be mutually exclusive.  But this is the important stuff.  Not what my scale says.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/16 6:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Great post Kelly. Thanks for sharing. It's SO NICE to see you here. I hope you hang around. You've been missed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Roma
on 1/14/16 7:24 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Thank you for sharing this.

And Isaac sounds like a good boy :)

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

poet_kelly
on 1/15/16 4:00 am - OH

Isaac is great encouragement for getting outside and walking.  He has such joy when he runs.  Yesterday he was playing in the snow and he was absolutely giddy.  So it definitely motivates me to get out and walk because I want him to enjoy himself that much.

karenp8
on 1/15/16 5:59 am - Brighton, IL

I am so thankful too for my Lily. She is a 6 year old boxer we rescued from a puppy mill. After being kept in a small cage for 51/2 years she loves to walk. She too is my motivation to be active. In fact,right now she is pouting because it's raining here and she wants to go for her walk! I didn't rescue her,she rescues me from obesity everyday by keeping me moving! Glad to see you back and doing well Kelly!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/15/16 3:25 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I had three generations of boxers. They are fantastic dogs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dmar
on 1/14/16 7:50 pm
RNY on 05/10/13

What an awesome story of success! Thank you!

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/14/16 10:10 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

So glad to see you back Kelly!

That is a great story and a true measure of success IMO.  I've got a 10 month old Golden Retriever puppy so I know all about the "need" for exercise :)  He is a great motivator for me as well. It sounds like you and Issac make a great team!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?