RNY what keeps you from regaining?

JA
on 1/18/16 3:11 am - East Haven, CT

After 11 1/2 years, I am a veteran for sure LOL.  I have kept my weight off.  I allow myself 1-3 lbs up and then I buckle down.  What helps to keep it off?  Remembering that WLS is NOT  A CURE for obesity; it's just a tool to allow you to lose weight like all other folks who do not have a severe obesity problem like we do.  Never forget that if you return to "bad" habits,  you WILL regain your weight.  It actually hurts to overeat in the beginning.  Some folks eat through that and eventually, it doesn't hurt.  So some advice to you as a newbie, don't take sugar back; don't eat rice, pasta, bread, etc. on a regular basis.  Remember to count your calories.  The first two years after WLS are a honeymoon period and you will lose weight very easily.  After that, it's not easy.  And let me not forget to never stop exercising; even if it's just walking - keep moving.  Calories in calories out :D

Best of luck!

JA

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/18/16 6:51 am
RNY on 12/31/13

At two years, I am not a vet.  However, my answer to your question is HARD WORK and dedication.  I weigh and measure everything.  I log everything I eat.  I never eat more than 40 grams of carbs.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/16 7:08 am

A vet is someone that got something done awhile ago. A mentor is someone who uses any and all of their knowledge to assist others in their endeavors.

I am a veteran of the U.S.M.C., so I know many vets. I've met maybe 5 actual mentors in my 49 years of life. YOU are a mentor Kat. That is not me paying you some compliment, that is a fact. It's written into your DNA to be this.

Thank you.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/18/16 7:12 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank you Gary.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

The Salty Hag
on 1/18/16 7:28 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Exactly this.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Deanna798
on 1/18/16 7:43 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm a surgery newbie, but this is how I look at WLS and maintenance.  

I quit smoking in January of 2012 after 23 years of being a smoker.  I started smoking in my teens, my mom allowed me to smoke,  so I was all in from an early age. 

When I finally decided to quit the last time,  I knew I'd never be successful unless I had help,  so I used the nicotine patch to help cut the cravings so I could break the habit of smoking. 

I'm using wls as my tool to cut the habit of over eating.  Now that I've quit smoking,  and that habit is gone,  I will never smoke again.  I'm using this honeymoon period as a way of training myself to live healthier.  I know the tool will become less over time,  but I intend to train myself to be able to function without the restriction that it gives me now.  

Good luck and I hope that you will be successful in whatever you choose to do.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

The Salty Hag
on 1/18/16 8:03 am, edited 1/18/16 12:04 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Also not a vet, but at 2.5 years out and am now dealing with the struggle of regain....let me say to you the following:

Always, always, ALWAYS assume you will dump on sugar. ALWAYS.

Don't advance your diet before you're told. Don't test the pouch. You will fail that test eventually if you do.

ALWAYS focus on dense protein first once you are on solids.

Maximize your honeymoon period by focusing on protein first.

Don't count "net carbs"...just count carbs.

Measure your portions from the get-go. Pay attention to the servings your meal plan calls for. Don't rely on "feeling full", especially early out. You won't feel full at first anyway because your nerves were cut; that's why we are limited to certain portions during specific phases. Once you are on your lifetime food plan if you end up feeling full, chances are you've eaten too much. Just avoid that and measure and don't exceed that portion size. 

Don't ever stop measuring or weighing your portions. 

Don't be afraid of fat in your diet. It helps you feel satiated-and can help keep your guts lubricated.

White, processed, starchy foods are the DEVIL. ( As are chia seeds according to Kat W...LOL. ) Many plans allow for mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, or oatmeal starting in the pureed phase-but they really don't bring anything positive to the table nutritionally...so they aren't a great choice..especially early out.

Like the others have stated...it's NOT the surgery that keeps regain from happening; it's the choices we make that determine that. I'm living proof. I started making poor choices, and now I'm paying for it. I went back to the way I was eating in the beginning, and not only do I feel better, but the scale is moving back down again.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

chulbert
on 1/18/16 10:09 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Long-term success happens in your head, not in your belly.  RNY is a tool, a reset button if you will, but nothing about "it" stops you from regaining.  Sure, it's always going to be there to stop you from eating a whole large pizza or half gallon of ice cream in one setting but it isn't going prevent the cumulative effect from making smaller, poor choices over and over and over.

You need a fundamental change in your relationship with food, a deep understanding of what's healthy, and choose nourishment over delight and indulgence most of the time.  Those are behaviors you need to develop that aren't inherently tied to bariatric surgery.

Kathy S.
on 1/18/16 10:45 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I had kept my 200 pounds off for almost 10 years.  My husband became very ill and during that time I stopped following my basic rules and exercising.  I gained and have since lost most of my regain. I did so by going back to basic.  I share these with others and this is what I did to lose the weight and regain.  Everyone has given you great advice. Here is the list I made when I started getting back on track.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits. 

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

You'll do GREAT!  Keep us posted!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Haven
on 1/18/16 1:00 pm

My next "surgiversary" will mark 10 years since I had my RNY.  You have gotten much good advice here, from those that have lived with it a long time and from those that are setting themselves up for success by recognizing that so much of this is all about dedication and persistence.  In order to avoid regain, avoid going back to the mentality you had before you altered your guts.  

Change your mind and your body will follow.  I was determined when I had the WLS to be successful.  I was.  Started out at nearly 300 and leveled out at around 135.  Got comfortable.  Gained up to 185.  Got determined again and now down to 110.  90% is in your head and the other 10% can be convinced.  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 497 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 497 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 370 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?