Banana pudding of death

CathyV
on 11/21/16 12:31 pm

So, I have learned that I don't seem to dump. Which is a mixed blessing I guess. But I do ok. I don't have a huge sweet tooth anyway. I am much more tempted by salty/crunchy stuff. But I made this banana pudding for a church potluck yesterday. We brought leftovers home. I had had a couple of bites of it. The husband and one child had some last night. There was one serving left. I had it today. I don't know why. I don't even like it that much. But I did. And I don't think I dumped. I do think I had reactive hypoglycemia. Is that different than dumping. I have looked up dumping and found different definitions. It was awful. And I'm glad to know it will happen. Nothing was worth that. What a stupid thing to do. Ugh.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

RNY_elizabeth
on 11/21/16 1:10 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

It happens.  I think we all eat things sometimes that we look back and say. "Why??" Just take it one day at a time.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Deanna798
on 11/21/16 1:26 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I had a bad reaction to banana pudding this past summer.  I believe my reaction was a severe reaction to the lactose in the milk used to make the pudding along with the sugar.  I don't dump either, not in a traditional sense, but that stuff is awful.  I had the same reaction when I had a soft serve ice cream cone this summer as well.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Kathy S.
on 11/21/16 3:04 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hey Cathy, 

They don't call it a journey for nothing!  Lesson learned, you are human....  Don't beat yourself up 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Grim_Traveller
on 11/21/16 6:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some define reactive hypoglycemia as "late dumping," but it's really very different from true dumping. True dumping hits about 15 or 20 minutes after eating a lot of sugar, and makes you want to die. There will be no doubt you have it. You'll be rolled up on the floor in a ball, unable to do anything.

RH will give you the symptoms you describe. A medium amount of sugar, or simple carbs like potatoes, crackers, etc will give you a sweaty, crappy feeling, and make you not want to eat stuff like that again.

You live and learn. Try to remember, and stay away from crap.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AnImperfectAngel
on 11/21/16 7:59 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I just love the title of your post!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

CathyV
on 11/21/16 8:14 pm

I'm weirdly glad. I shouldn't have eaten that, I'm glad my body slapped me for it, lol. When I found out I wasn't going to be someone who dumped easily, I felt a little panicky. I don't want to dump. But the fear of it was motivating to stay on track. This wasn't as bad as I imagine dumping to be...but I don't want to do it again. 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Ktscarltt413
on 11/22/16 4:07 am
RNY on 11/11/15

While we  should not live in fear, a small amount keeps us safe and healthy. Like you I don't dump easily but being afraid to keeps me honest.

Catek2652
on 11/22/16 4:06 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Now you know to save the risky behavior for something REALLY special and clearly, banana pudding isn't worth it. I think my biggest victory so far is learning to ask myself if the risk of feeling like crap worth putting something in my mouth. When the doc released me to a "regular" diet so long as I kept it under 1300 calories I was actually excited (although I knew I wanted to get down another 10 pounds or so) and I stayed excited until I ate my first piece of toast. I actually baked, from scratch, a sourdough whole wheat bread and it took days. The anticipation was high. The toast with a little butter on it, was wonderful. The reaction two hours later was not.

The bread loaves when to my son's house for his kids to eat.

Some folks may not call that sickly, icky, exhausted, fuzzy headed, feeling dumping. But it felt awful and I don't want to go there again.

And yet, I did. I ate a couple bites of potato in the beef stew I made yesterday. Until now, I've just picked them out and fed them to my husband. Sickly, and icky and crampy and exhausted. So, potatoes are a no go for me as well.

I'm not even going to lick a cookie even if it is the holiday season!

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

CJ On Orcas
on 11/22/16 10:08 am
RNY on 09/09/16

It is an interesting journey.  I put a fig bar in my mouth yesterday while I was sitting with the kids.  Ate half before I actually thought about what I had done.  I did not dump, but I did not feel well for a while.  And it was not even remotely enjoyable.  That is the part about the journey that frightens me.  Why in the world would I continue eating something that DOES NOT TASTE GOOD.  It was one of those whole wheat, natural, good-for-you-supposedly blueberry fig bars.  Like I need to make a sign to wear on my hands that says "you really won't like that, so why are you eating it?"