Possible hernia....

Amy Liz
on 12/11/16 11:22 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I'm 3 weeks outs For about a week, I've been having this horrible pain on my left side under one of my incisions. Feels very muscular.... callled my surgeon he thinks it could be a torn internal stitch or a hernia. I'm going to see him tomorrow morning. He said if it was a hernia, it would require surgery cuz they don't go away on their own. He said it only takes about  20 minute procedure to fix. Has anyone had this? Wondering about recovery time as I am back to work and want to know what to expect. 

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

NYMom222
on 12/11/16 2:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Kudos for the Doc for taking it seriously... I kept complaining about pain and they kept telling me I was eating too fast/or too much. It wasn't until my one year check up when I was still complaining that they were like- Oh? Maybe something is wrong.... and of course the hernia was much bigger by then....

I can't tell you about recovery per se because I did it with Plastic Surgery... but getting it fixed helped my gastro issues and I was finally able to come off Prilosec/omeprezole I was on since surgery. Before the hernia was repaired if I tried comping off of it, I got sick/vomited....

So do it sooner than later if that is what it is, like he said...it doesn't get better...just worse. Finding it quickly I would think the recovery won't be bad at all....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Amy Liz
on 12/11/16 2:39 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I was worried about the dr not taking it seriously also because what I've read about other people's experiences. I'm hoping they are able to find out for sure tomorrow and get it taken care of as soon as possible!! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/11/16 2:29 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

During my RNY, my surgeon repaired two small hernias that I didn't even know I had.  He didn't use mesh -- they were small repairs.

About 13 months later, I had some severe pain in my midline.  By that time, I had lost an appreciable amount of weight and the hernia was very visible. Imagine an alien head coming out of someone's abdomen.   I was having bowel issues as well.

I had a hernia repair last December (2 years in) -- that was quite large and had incarcerated my bowels.  In my case, they wanted to wait until I had lost an appreciable amount of weight before doing the repair -- to lessen the chance of having to do it again.  Once they went in -- it was larger than he expected.  Additionally, I had two smaller hernias that he found as well.  My surgery was done lap and needed mesh for the large repair.  My bowel was dangerously close to being completely cut off.  

I am happy to say that that repair completely resolved any and all pain and my bowel issues.  

I hate to tell you that the recovery was worse than my RNY and emergency C-Section.  Of course, my hernia(s) were quite large -- and the surgery took quite a bit longer than 20 minutes.  I would do it again, however, in a heart beat.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Amy Liz
on 12/11/16 2:47 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I'm worried about my bowels as well. I had gas the other day aand it was so incredibly painful I have a feeling they are being affected. I'm hoping to take care of this asap so it doesn't get worse. 

Most Active
Recent Topics