The Diet Soda Dilemma

wannabesupermomm
y

on 1/10/17 2:01 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Okay-guilty as charged. I am a total diet soda addict. It's not against my NUT's recommendation, per se, but the amount I am capable of drinking of it in probably is. Because of this, I took a couple days off without it, trying to focus much more on water. 

As a reward, I ordered myself diet coke when out to eat with some friends. But when I drank it, I was suddenly gripped with fear. It is sweet and syrupy and wonderful-like regular soda. I asked my friends to try, and they agreed it was very sweet. I asked the waitress, who swore up and down it was diet, but I didn't want to take my chances and had her take it away. 

Today, I had a friend bring me some back from their trip to Chipotle. They say it is Coke Zero, but again it tastes sooooo sweet. I'll admit I've had 3 sips or so to see if I get a reaction, because I assume I will get sick from regular soda. But is it possible I won't and then I'm just drinking this terrible sugary thing? 

Is the only way to combat this to carry around sugar test strips designed for diabetics? Only get my own cans of diet soda? What do you guys do?! 

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

peachpie
on 1/10/17 2:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I don't drink soda diet or otherwise

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

aesposito
on 1/10/17 2:42 pm

I am an unapologetic diet soda drinker and therefore I will not judge your soda consumption.  The fizz-exploding-the-pouch-thing is a myth, and as for the chemicals, well, it's my liver and GI tract to do with what I will.  But anyway... back to the point...

Once I was given a real Mountain Dew instead of diet.  It was immediately obvious to me... oddly, the fake stuff tastes sweeter than the real stuff, but in a different, sickly sort of way.  If you don't believe me, order one of each some time and taste-test.  You will see what I mean.

Anyway, I went back into the store (taco bell) and *****ed out the manager for five minutes on how this could have killed a diabetic and they needed to be more careful.  Ever since then, I double-check by asking the pimply-faced teen at the drive-up if he/she is sure it's diet... and I take a precautionary sip before driving away.  

As for whether you will get sick from real sugar... fluids pass through the GI tract and are absorbed differently than solids... and not everyone dumps (in fact most people don't)... so don't assume the real thing will make you sick.  The only way to make completely sure is to not drink it... but again, I am not much of a role model for that.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

mute
on 1/10/17 2:50 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I tried diet pop once since surgery - and I used to drink pop all the time before surgery. And I couldn't take the sweetness and carbonation combination. That combination did a number on my stomach. It made me pretty sick.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

NasaJen
on 1/10/17 7:36 pm
RNY on 12/09/16

I have never heard of the pouch actually exploding from drinking soda, however all of the surgeons at my practice and my NUT spent so much time teaching that the carbonation in drinks gradually expands your stomach.  

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

NYMom222
on 1/10/17 8:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Carbonation will not expand your stomach (think about it) only a myth, but face it not good nutrition. I used to love a nice cold coke before surgery- not diet. But alas...can't have coke and even now when I try the carbonation I don't like how it feels.

About 6 months after surgery I ordered a SF Pumpkin Spice latte at starbucks while at Target...within 5 minutes or so, I was rushing to the bathroom.... I went and complained and got my money back, but the young girl insisted it was SF but my intestinal system begged to differ... I still order SF syrup at Starbucks, but I will usually repeat myself as well...either to the person writing on the cup or when they hand it to me...just to be sure.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/11/17 4:53 am

If I drink diet soda - I make sure it came out if a can or a bottle. The fountain drinks are sometimes mixed up. Or the server gives you regular by mistake.  Been there - and got sick really bad.  Not worth the trouble. 

Now - I ge****er or unsweetened tea.  No more "mistery" drink for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

robinreinhardt
on 1/11/17 10:18 am

During the summer, I do have 1 diet soda a day. Also a lot of coffee. My surgeon said it was okay.

It does help curb my appetite and gives me energy.

-Flo-
on 1/12/17 6:45 am
DS on 04/11/16

I drink alot of coke zero. It has gotten to the point where I can't tell the difference in taste between a real coke and a coke zero. If I am with someone I ask them to take a sip. To them the chemical taste is obvious. It's weird that I can't really tell anymore. 

siberiancat
on 1/12/17 8:03 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I gave up my Diet Pepsi 9 years ago and haven't looked back.  I drink a lot of hot and iced tea (unsweetened or use liquid stevia) and water.

Don't miss it after the brief withdrawl period.

Good luck - all the research says it's best to kick diet sodas to the curb.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views