Hiatal Hernia repair while doing RNY, 2 days post op

Sssmck
on 1/25/17 10:17 am
RNY on 01/23/17

Hi everyone :D I'm a newbie here, but have had lots of luck with groups like this in the past for other topics/etc. 

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how long I have to sleep sitting up since my surgeon found a hiatal hernia when she was doing my RNY Monday and repaired it. I am almost afraid of laying down LOL The first night's rest back at home was remarkable though... so glad to be home! 

Also - I've read that some people don't have to crush their meds for the first few weeks, buy my doc requires it. Wondering if there are any tips/tricks. After 3 weeks of doing this I'm thinking I may never want to eat again given how many meds I'll have to be crushing! (two allergy, two hbp meds, one high cholesterol, two SSRIs... and a partridge in a pear tree). Any tips are so very welcome! Can't believe this process is finally to this stage - excited, nervous and interested to see where this journey takes me! Took a full year to get the insurance requirements done and didn't feel like it'd ever be here! 

odie
on 1/25/17 10:37 am
RNY on 05/26/14

I had my very large hernia repaired also but I wasn't given any of your rules!  My took my medication, one or two at a time with water.  Never had to crush them and I had no problems but that's just me!!  And even in the hospital, I was laying flat without problems except I usually sleep on my side.  

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Sssmck
on 1/25/17 10:40 am
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks! I had a feeling that it would vary... I'm tempted to try to take the pills... especially the extended release one that I CAN'T crush. Have a message into surgeon about that one at least. I also sleep on my back and my sides... tempted to try a nap low and on my back since I'm not in much pain at this point. We'll see how brave I get LOL 

odie
on 1/25/17 10:43 am
RNY on 05/26/14

Have you ever been pregnant?  I only ask because if you use a pillow the same way as they taught you in pre-natal classes, it works just fine for sleeping on your side!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Sssmck
on 1/25/17 2:17 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I imagined! I took a nap sleeping on my back and it went well :D Soooo thankful! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/25/17 11:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had to sleep sitting up for quite a bit.  I am not sure how heavy you are -- but when I had my RNY, I was 347 pounds -- thus the weight of my stomach caused a lot of excess pain when I try to lay flat and was worse on my side.  

Like you, my surgeon found and repaired a hernia that he found during the surgery.  It was rather large -- not hiatal but more umbilical/mid-line.  I had more hernia repairs after losing 200 lbs -- and those were by far a more painful recovery than the RNY or a C-section.  However, with the weight gone, I was able to lay flat much sooner.

As far as the pills -- I would listen to your doctor -- however, like a pp -- I was allowed to take pills whole from day 3 onward.  I am not sure the reasons for the varying aftercare instructions.  But I would err on the side of your surgeon's orders.  

Wishing you a good recovery!  I swear, soon it is all just a blip in the incredible path you're taking -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sssmck
on 1/25/17 2:24 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks so much Pat! I am definitely happy to follow surgeons instructions - I actually was first referred to another one, then had to request referral elsewhere and am much more on board/understanding of her goals/guidelines with this surgeon. She just makes more sense, if that is clear? I have a call in regarding my extended release medication, but have started crushing and taking my others. :D I started out at my High Weight of 240 Monday.... was 242 upon arrival at home last night LOL That taught me to not check the scale constantly. The nurses made it clear that the hiatal hernia was very common - I was just wondering if it meant that I should be more careful longer. I'm comfortable sipping an ounce of liquid in a couple minutes... I wonder if I'm going too fast, you know? 

karenp8
on 1/25/17 2:53 pm - Brighton, IL

I had a large hiatal hernia repaired 4 years ago when I had my RNY and I never slept sitting up even in the hospital. 

Sssmck
on 1/25/17 3:18 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks Karen! It makes me feel more comfortable with how great my mid day nap was laying down flat ;) 

LynnAlex
on 1/25/17 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

My doctor said that 2/3 of his patients have hernia repair with WLS. I crushed my meds and put them in applesauce.  

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.