hungry

Rise J.
on 4/19/17 9:50 pm

I am a year out and have lost about 70 pounds, my problem is, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat it seems that I am hungry again about a half hour after having a meal. I have tried drinking more water but it just doesn't seem to help. My stomach growls and it gets really uncomfortable. I thought it might be head hunger but physically my body says otherwise.

Some people say I should drink a protein shake but my surgeon says he doesn't want me to do that because I should get all I need from my food. I would appreciate any suggestions.

ScottAndrews
on 4/20/17 3:52 am
RNY on 03/20/17

If you're trying to lose weight then low carb/low cal protein shakes are a big help. There seems to be about a million different versions these days and I seriously doubt the industry is being kept afloat by us bariatric cases.

If you're hungry then you should eat. But eat small and often. 6 small meals is what I used to do when I was in my weight loss heyday. I always had a protein shake after a workout

rocky513
on 4/20/17 4:50 am - WI

A "growling stomach" does not mean you are hungry. I would venture to say that everyone who has had weight loss surgery has a stomach that makes a lot of noise. My stomach growls the most AFTER I have eaten. Don't mistake stomach noise for hunger, it's not.

After RNY our stomachs no longer have a pyloric valve at the bottom. It is basically a funnel with a small opening into the intestines. If you put food and fluid into a funnel, it will often make a gurgling sound as it empties.

Are you on an acid reducer like Prilocec? Stomach acid can make you feel hunger and contribute to the growling sensation. Try an acid reducer and see if you improve.

Eating simple carbs like bread, crackers, cookies, etc can make you feel hungry. Eating foods with sugar alcohols,like sugar free candy, can make your stomach gurgle and feel distressed. Make sure your menu is meat and non starchy veggies for awhile and see if you feel better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Daisydoo02
on 4/20/17 5:17 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Rocky there are some days after I eat my stomach is so loud with "talking" its like there is a little bear inside there, but always after I eat as well. It gets extra loud while I am chewing gum, the other day my husband and I were out hiking in the woods with our dogs, I was chewing gum, and my stomach let out this nasty growl so loud my husband actually stopped me and said "wait did you hear that?!?!?!" thinking it was an animal sneaking up on us and I laughed so hard and said "no babes, just my stomach," he actually didn't believe me as was convinced we were being stalked by Big Foot or something LOL LOL

For the OP (Original Poster) in 3.5 years post RNY and I have never had a "stomach growl" when I am hungry, and in fact I don't actually get "hungry" per se more I notice I am light headed or low energy and look at the time and realize I am past due of when I need to eat. I 100% second Rocky's advice on your menu needs to be meat and non starchy veggies. Simple carbs like she mentioned will make you hungry and have intense cravings for more simple carbs.

Best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

supershopper
on 4/20/17 6:12 am

Probably mostly head hunger or acid reflux and not hunger. I was always told that because of RNY you are bypassing the ghrelin in your system which is the hunger enzyme. The food passes so fast that you feel empty and want to eat more.

what are you eating?

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Rise J.
on 4/20/17 1:48 pm

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice. I really appreciate it a lot. Lots of things I didn't know. I am learning new things everyday about this surgery.

Rise:

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/22/17 5:43 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

FYI: the stomach noises happen with VSG as well AFTER I eat.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Recent Topics