Apollo stitch

sheilakgil
on 10/11/17 2:12 pm

Does anyone have updates regarding the Apollo stitch? Their success stories? Has anyone had Dr. Helmuth Billy from Ventura CA do their surgery?

Thanks

Sheila

Amy R.
on 10/11/17 3:14 pm

I don't know much about it, but there have been some members post about getting it done in the Revisions forum here. You may also want to use the search function and I would definitely be asking Mr. Google for help as well.

You can also search the site for Dr. Billy - but realize the surgeon reviews in OH tend to be a bit biased. Again, you'll likely want google or some such to help you.

The results don't look encouraging, I believe you can look to have a loss of approximately 30 pounds. None of the revisions to re-tighten the stoma seem very successful. Stoma-phyx (spelling?) and the Rose procedure are a couple of the others out there. Some people have also done Band over Bypass.

What surgery did you have originally, and when? Are you looking to lose regain?

sheilakgil
on 10/11/17 8:09 pm

I had the rouxen-y in 2002 lost a 153 pounds gained 75 pounds and had a revision in 2012 lost 27 pounds now back up 19. I told the doctor after the revision I had no restrictions. I had a hiatal hernia that is why I was approved.

Amy R.
on 10/11/17 11:59 pm

What revision did you have in 2012? I don't know of many revisions to the bypass other than going back in to get an extended (distal) RnY. Did you revise to another surgery? Was your stoma enlarged at that point as well?

It's not as easy to lose weight after a revision as it is after your "virgin" WLS. Many struggle because the pounds come off so much more slowly but depending on the revision you can be successful.

There are those here who've had revisions other than stoma-tightening. If you don't mind sharing what you were revised to, I can point you to the corresponding forum.

It's good that you're not just giving up. But there might be options other than getting your stoma tightened.

sheilakgil
on 10/12/17 6:47 am

Thanks for your help. I am really not sure what type of revision they did. They said I had a hiatal hernia so they could go in and do a revision. I didn't ask I guess I was excited it would be revised. I live in California and have Kaiser Permanente. After the surgery I could take big drinks of water I thought that was very odd. I know my problem is sugar and grazing. I am going to therapist today to see if that will help. I am so tired of this battle with my weight.

Laura in Texas
on 10/12/17 8:34 am

A third weight loss surgery will not help at all if you are not addressing why and how much you are eating. Surgery is not magic. I hope you are working with a therapist and nutritionist to help you. You can do this, but it will require hard work.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sheilakgil
on 10/12/17 11:26 am

I have been trying therapists and dietitian. I have also been hypnotized. I feel like a lost cause I know it is all in my head. This sounds terrible but what stopped me from over eating in the beginning was throwing up. I hate That! I kept the weight off for awhile then started having family issues so I started gaining and have tried several times to start losing. The doctor said?my stomach was large so everything goes right through and I can eat all day???

Laura in Texas
on 10/12/17 5:35 pm

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. If your therapist is not helping you, please find another one.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sheilakgil
on 10/12/17 8:45 pm

Thanks, I started therapy again tonight hopefully this will help.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/11/17 3:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not seeing a lot of published information regarding success rates. From what I can see of the early trials using this for RNY stoma reduction, people who had this procedure done lost only 3.9% of their weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23567348

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 150 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views