when does food taste normal again

maeburke
on 12/7/17 7:08 pm

I had RNY surgery July 24 and have lost 85lbs... current weight 145lbs.. I can't eat meat or much of anything but (beans , tomato juice) because it taste so bad..I can not eat anything with any kind of oil, butter or fat in it. My surgeon said foods would taste different but I didn't realize he meant all foods...My PC doctor wants me to eat more protein...( I can't stand the sweet protein shakes anymore) Has anyone one else went thru this and will this ever change... I have no regrets but my husband is worried.

peachpie
on 12/8/17 2:00 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Well what are you eating??

Taste is subjective. Many have issue with certain tastes or textures, but everyone reaches a point or tolerance (or not) at different rates. Early on I couldn't tolerate fats either (ie- mayo) but can now. I still can't tolerate bacon though. It's important to periodically re-introduce problem foods, if you never try you'll never see if your reaction changes. I still try bacon, hoping it'll work, some occasions it's has, most not.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Erin T.
on 12/8/17 4:03 am
VSG on 01/17/17

At first, everything tasted terrible to me. But, I think it was two things: 1) My anticipation of food being thrilling, because it always had been, and that was gone and; 2) anesthesia does strange things to the body. What I thought were tastes changing due to my VSG reoccurred when I had a minor surgery several months later.

Within about 6-8 weeks of surgery, my tastes returned to normal, or I adjusted to food not holding the same appeal as it always had. Now, at 10 months things actually taste BETTER then they did pre-surgery (and I like a lot more things) and I attribute that to a lack of processed crap food. But, my focus is now on quality over quantity.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Kathy S.
on 12/8/17 9:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It took me 3 months before some food smells didn't make me gag. And then I had to do it a small taste at a time. Take it slow and know this is normal.....

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/8/17 1:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Is there any chance you're in ketosis? When I experienced that, everything had a very funky, metallic, "off" taste to it.

If sweet shakes don't work, you can add unflavored protein powder to things like broth and soup, just make sure to blend very well so you don't get lumps.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/17 8:39 pm

Hi Maeburke,

I'm 13+ months in and I went through a lot of issues with "tastes." Very little tasted good. To this day I still don't like coffee (used to really enjoy it).

The good news is that little by little my tastes come back. The "bridge" for me was Kirkland (started with Panera) Broccoli Cheese Soup. Yes, I know that soup is iffy because it's liquid and solid together. I like it and my RNY tolerates it! It seems that fat, in the interim, was easier to process for me. Weight hasn't been an issue.

I now eat (and enjoy) almost everything. I am still waiting for a few to taste good (especially coffee).

Now here's another issue (please don't take this as it being about you). Three months ago, when everything still tasted bad, I was rushed into surgery for a perforated ulcer. I'm told it's pretty rare. Since then, most things taste better.

Give it time. Taste will slowly come back. It's different for everyone. If it persists (or you cannot stop losing weight) make sure you get checked out by your doctor.

ALL said, I would do it again in a second! My life is changed and all for the good! I eat less broccoli cheese soup now :)

SkinnyScientist
on 12/9/17 3:08 am

Three years out (about to go on 4) . Some things I really used to love no longer taste good or call to me. I used to LOVE chocolate. I could have eaten chocolate malto-meal 24 -7 (adding in chocolate chips in it too). Today, I no longer crave/like chocolate.

One the other hand, I have started to like things I never liked before, like hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. Before, the eggs HAD to be egg salad or deviled. Cottage and ricotta cheese were bleh! Now I love cheese! And sauer kraut (but it has to be klausen). I was NEVER a vegetable fan, now it is the FIRST THING on my plate I gravitate to and eat. Carrots still taste like dirt though!

Just keep try to keep an open mind and revisit foods in surgery recommended amounts.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NYMom222
on 12/9/17 9:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It still goes on and off with foods not tasting good. When shakes started tasting bad, I found the coffee flavored ones worked.

Lots of time food is just food, and we need to eat it. Doesn't need to be some amazing experience. Make sure you are getting enough protein.

Julie is right about ketosis making things taste funky.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/17 10:59 am
VSG on 01/12/17

For your protein shakes, try watering them down. Use some fairlife milk. I had the same trouble with protein drinks early on. They were too thick and too sweet. I put about a half serving or a serving of fairlife nonfat milk to mix with it and it was sooo much better. Chocolate was more like chocolate milk than a protein shake, same for the strawberry.

CJ On Orcas
on 12/11/17 9:41 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am 15 months out from RnY and things do not taste the same as they once did. I consider that a win in my book. For a long while textures really bothered me... eggs, shrimp, scallops were horrible. I still do not like anything dry in the meat department. Nearly raw... I can handle it just fine. But I am a coffee addict these days. I adore hot sauce and pepper, where I did not before. Spaghetti squash is one of my most favorite things ever and I did no like it at all before. Tastes change. Thank goodness! Just be sure you are getting peotein in first, in any format. I still use Premier Protein chocolate in my coffee, it cuts the sweet.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 50 views
Recent Topics