Am I just having cold feet?

BB78
on 4/20/18 5:55 am

I have my surgery scheduled April 30th and having serious doubts whether I want to have it. I started to go on a low carb diet in October and have lost 70 pounds in that time, I have started exercising and cut out alcohol and any refined sugars. In my early 20s I did low carb and managed to lose 80 pounds but put it all back and then some, since then I've tried diets in the past but it would never really last longer than a few days and go back to the old way of eating. I feel that I would be committed to losing on my own without the surgery as I have really enjoyed having more energy and looking better but I am not sure if this is just nerves.

Hw 390 cw 320. 40 year-old male 5'10"

MichelleS61
on 4/20/18 6:09 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I had some of the same feelings when the weight started to come off pre-surgery, but then I remembered, that if I'd really been able to do this before long term I would have already done it. I was also looking for some other health improvements that the surgery would impact over and above the weight loss.

Cold feet are common.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/18 6:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

In my life, I have lost approximately 4 trillion pounds. Losing 100 pounds was not horribly difficult. But, since I weighed almost 500 pounds, it wasn't a huge accomplishment, either.

Then I'd gain it all back. Plus more.

I was where you are, at just about the exact same point in my life. I looked into surgery a couple of times, but convinced myself I could lose the weight with diet and willpower.

Spoiler alert: I didn't.

So, several more years passed. I wore my knees out until they were bone on bone. I added more cholesterol meds, then oral diabetes meds, then injectables. I was slowly falling apart. My weight was up to almost 500 pounds.

I finally had surgery. My weight has been the lowest ever as an adult, and varies by only a couple of pounds from year to year.

I wish I had done it when I first looked into it, at your age.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

BB78
on 4/20/18 12:16 pm

Thanks. I do beleive that I am just having a case of cold feet. I know it is the best thing for me but I do feel a bit of a failure.

OH has helped me so much in getting answers for questions I had not even thought to ask. I am looking forward to new and thinner chapter in my life.

Thanks again for helping me get over my cold feet and to know I am not alone in my fears.

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/18 7:49 am

I don't regret surgery at all, I was worried that my life would change. Trust me it did for the better.

Feeling better and being comfortable with who I am it is a process but worth it. I feel like it has made me grow up and not let life pass me by.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/18 11:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Losing weight is one thing. Keeping it off is a whole different ballgame. That's where surgery comes in-- research shows that WLS gives us a much better chance at maintaining our weight loss.

It's absolutely normal to be nervous about surgery. It's a major life change, and it's pretty much permanent. When I decided to have surgery, I felt like a failure-- like, things were so bad that I had to take this drastic step, and was it REALLY that bad?

The good news is that having surgery is definitely one of the best things I've ever done for myself-- and that's even considering that I've gained some weight back!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jester
on 4/20/18 11:11 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I think a lot of us had a similar route to what Grim detailed. Many of us are experts at losing weight, but not a single one of us was any good at keeping it off. I went into this whole thing with the whole idea of this is an opportunity to have a tool to assist me in not only rapid weight loss, but much more importantly, give me a tool to help me transition into a new life-long way of eating that will allow me to maintain my weight and health over time. I'm not nearly as far out as Grim, but I'm a little over 2 years post-op and so far, so good. Assuming you go forward, I can;t recommend enough that you use the "honeymoon period" to learn how to eat in a whole new way. One that is sustainable for you for life.