drinking after surgery

Partlypollyanna
on 10/23/18 5:48 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Thank you to everyone for sharing such personal stories even though they may leave you a bit raw each time you share it.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

elcee
on 10/24/18 4:23 am

Wow reading this thread is depressing. So many people saying never to drink alcohol again. Absolutes ( never )are very hard to accept.

I got my band 9 years ago and was never told I had to give up alcohol. I enjoy a glass or 2 of wine a couple of times a week. Maybe I'm lucky I didn't become an alcoholic!

Now looking at revising to RNY so I understand that I am going to have to give that up, at least for the foreseeable future but I would hate to think that I could NEVER have a glass of wine again.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/24/18 7:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think the band is different from the RNY and VSG with regards to alcohol. Your anatomy has not been permanently altered, and (I think) there's no change to your metabolism as with the other surgeries. So alcohol may affect you the same way as it did before the band.

Absolutes are definitely hard to accept, but when you look at the possible trade-off, I think it makes the decision much easier.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 10/25/18 6:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM Pacific Time, elcee wrote:

Wow reading this thread is depressing. So many people saying never to drink alcohol again. Absolutes ( never )are very hard to accept.

I got my band 9 years ago and was never told I had to give up alcohol. I enjoy a glass or 2 of wine a couple of times a week. Maybe I'm lucky I didn't become an alcoholic!

Now looking at revising to RNY so I understand that I am going to have to give that up, at least for the foreseeable future but I would hate to think that I could NEVER have a glass of wine again.

alcohol is pure sugar. The body uses that pure sugar to function instead of burning your stored fat for energy.

Maybe ifvyou had not used alcohol you would be at goal weight and not looking for a revision.

You are a perfect example of the truth of what those who are saying about alcohol use are saying.

Alcoholics and drug abusers in recovery use the never absolute every day. They have to, no other choice. Not using absolutes, like never is often just an excuse.

elcee
on 10/25/18 2:42 pm
On October 25, 2018 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

alcohol is pure sugar. The body uses that pure sugar to function instead of burning your stored fat for energy.

Maybe ifvyou had not used alcohol you would be at goal weight and not looking for a revision.

You are a perfect example of the truth of what those who are saying about alcohol use are saying.

Alcoholics and drug abusers in recovery use the never absolute every day. They have to, no other choice. Not using absolutes, like never is often just an excuse.

Maybe

or maybe if I hadn't eaten all those carrots and corn and other veggies that also turn into sugar

or maybe it was that piece of cake I ate

or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Lapbands have not proven to be an effective long term solution to keeping off the weight.

I see you have had a revision and you aren't at goal weight yet, what's your excuse?

hollykim
on 10/25/18 3:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM Pacific Time, elcee wrote:
On October 25, 2018 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

Maybe

or maybe if I hadn't eaten all those carrots and corn and other veggies that also turn into sugar

or maybe it was that piece of cake I ate

or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Lapbands have not proven to be an effective long term solution to keeping off the weight.

I see you have had a revision and you aren't at goal weight yet, what's your excuse?

I don't have an excuse nor do I need one. The ticker was just a fun think to do.

My real goal was to put my type 11 diabetes in remission which I did.

I thought I needed to lose another 50# and couldn't lose it,in spite of being totally on plan for months,eating dense protein,eggs cheese and less than 20 carbs a day.

i didn't revise my VSG just converted to the DS to facilitate that 50# loss. After I lost 25 more #,I decided I was at a good place and chose to stop there.

ihave lost 122# and maintained the loss for nearly 8 years. I am a success now and will continue to be a success.

bluebutterfly17
on 10/29/18 6:29 am
RNY on 09/17/18

The problem here is that too many people like to pass judgement and act as if they were perfect their whole lives! Good for you standing up for yourself.

With hard work comes results

elcee
on 10/30/18 1:22 am

Yes I had noticed how sanctimonious and judgemental some people seem to be. Was wondering if I had suddenly gone back in time to prohibition.

I saw the dietician today and I asked if it was a good idea to switch to alcohol free wine. She said no I should have a glass of a wine I really like and sip it slowly but to be aware that it may cause dumping

seattledeb
on 10/25/18 5:29 pm

It is 7 calories/gm.

Carbs 4 calories/gm

Protein calories/gm.

Fat 9 calories/gm.

Alcohol is a lot of calories.

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/18 10:23 am

Be very cautious and aware if you try it. I never drank before RNY surgery (10 years ago), Probably 2 or 3 years later post my WLS I had a glass of red wine and it hit me hard, relaxed me and I felt very good. while I was not drinking daily I was drinking weekly... became routine. one glass became 2 or 3 when out with my husband or friends. I stopped like Kim a little more then a year ago. I liked it too much for someone who never drank prior to WLS. Also believe it aided some regain that I am now successful battling off . I was scared of my future once I learned of RNY/WLS and connection with alcoholism and stopped when I could by myself. I consider myself very lucky. I missed it for a short bit, but no longer. Was a weekly habit on the way to something worse possibly??

For me it was a scary gamble to take. At least your aware and be careful and tread lightly. My WLS center just said wait a year to drink but did not discuss dangers. Going on 10.5 years ago and not as discussed.

Most Active
Recent Topics