drinking after surgery

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/18 6:11 am

I am 10 years post op.

Over the years I had a few hernias, food intolerances, or allergies, plus an IBS that often made my life very difficult - painful.

I had RNY when I was 48. Before RNY I never have drinking problem. I had more alcohol at home than average person had. I liked good quality of wine or other drinks, but a bottle of good Brandy would last in my house for many years. And I only drank socially. And only when I was not the designated driver.

That changed app 2-3 years post op. I discovered that alcohol helped with stress, and with pains and cramps in my gut. Severe cramps, that were the worse when I had stress.

I started having a 1/2 glass of wine, or a small serving of stronger stuff after or during the dinner. First it was once in a while, then it becomes an almost every day thing. But I was not drinking a lot, just enough to help my digestion, and relax my intestine just enough to help me eat. By the time I finally "woke up" I was drinking almost every day, some days instead of eating. And it no longer was 1/2 serving. It was 2 or 3. Or more...

My WLS changed how my body is processing the alcohol. I didn't really get drunk...I got tipsy, I got happier because I could eat foods that I normally couldn't. But then the next day came, and the damage the wrong for me foods combined with alcohol did to my intestine needed more alcohol. Or pain pills. Alcohol didn't fix anything, it masked the damage. It also helped me sleep, and forget about the stress in my everyday life.

Stress and Joy. I decided that I can't try to escape reality by drinking. I have a few post op friends that I believe worse drinking problem that I do. They don't see it the same day, and one guy thinks that having 2-4 drinks every day is normal. Because all his friends are doing that.

I NEVER thought I would have that problem with alcohol. But it became for me a temporary drug for pain, gut cramps, digestion, IBS, and stress.

I am now am abstinent. By choice. I hate when something or someone controls my life. Many years ago I quit cigarettes smoking, because I started planning my day to make sure I had time for smoke. The company I worked for had "no smoking" policy on their property, including the parking lot. I quit smoking because part of my time was spent on figuring out how to get a smoke a few times a day. When any pain- i had made me wonder if a one drink would help it - I knew I had to give it up.

Be aware of ways alcohol can mess up with you. And if you decided to drink, jus****ch it not to become a habit.

H

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bluebutterfly17
on 10/23/18 5:11 pm
RNY on 09/17/18

Thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry you went through this but glad you were able to get yourself away from it. This is probably the one topic I never looked up before surgery because alcohol was never an issue for me, I was like you, barely drank at home. I will now be reading all about this, not because I plan to drink but because I like to be informed about everything that can happen.

With hard work comes results

Amy R.
on 10/23/18 8:30 am, edited 10/23/18 1:34 am

I don't know how to address this issue other than very bluntly.

We all got to a size where we needed a pretty serious surgery in order to have one more chance at health and longer life. That kind of eating doesn't just happen.

As a population and by our very nature we are a group of compulsive people. That compulsion is unlikely to limit itself to just food.

How anyone here on these particular boards can assume that transfer addiction will never happen to them is beyond me. Do you think that alcoholics thought they would have drinking problems when they took their first postop sip? Because I've got news for you: no one plans on alcoholism or drug addiction. And no one goes into these situations with that intent. Just as no one plans on doubling their body weight for some chips.

Alcoholism is not a moral failing, and those who warn others of the dangers of postop drinking aren't judging anyone's ability or lack thereof to avoid transference. Just please stop to consider the odds before you go there. We (WLS peeps) already know how successful we are at controlling our compulsions.

Do you want to bet that you'll suddenly be able to harness your compulsions? Please don't. The cost of that experiment is measured in ruined lives.

grammar

bluebutterfly17
on 10/23/18 5:14 pm
RNY on 09/17/18

We all have our opinions and our right to speak them .

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/23/18 5:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

And my opinion is that passive-aggressive responses like this are a load of bs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bluebutterfly17
on 10/24/18 6:33 am
RNY on 09/17/18

And I think your on going preaching is a load of bs but you don't see me complaining. If you don't like what I post, don't comment. If you feel like judging, don't comment. I'm certainly not losing sleep over bs.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/24/18 7:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On October 24, 2018 at 1:33 PM Pacific Time, bluebutterfly17 wrote:

And I think your on going preaching is a load of bs but you don't see me complaining. If you don't like what I post, don't comment. If you feel like judging, don't comment. I'm certainly not losing sleep over bs.

I'm glad that you, at one month post-op, know so much more than all the "preachy" long-timers who've posted on this thread. Most of us took much longer to learn and be successful. You're so lucky! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 10/23/18 6:55 pm
On October 24, 2018 at 12:14 AM Pacific Time, bluebutterfly17 wrote:

We all have our opinions and our right to speak them .

I don't recall saying otherwise?

bluebutterfly17
on 10/24/18 6:33 am
RNY on 09/17/18

never said you did

ltmlip
on 10/23/18 9:22 am, edited 10/24/18 3:55 am

I just have to say thank you. This website is amazing. I had tears reading the tragedy that came to some of your friends. It is so good of you to share your stories and friends stories, so everyone knows what they are getting into. We are all adults and have to make our own decisions but this post has educated me and I will think twice before I take my first drink. After all I have done to get to where I am, for me, it's just not worth it.

Referral: March 2017, Orientation: June 2017, Nurse, Social Worker, Nutritionist, Pharmacist: Dec 2017, Physiotherapist and f/u with Nurse: Feb 2018, Meet Dr. Lindsay: Feb 2018, Pre-Op Feb 26, 2018, Start Optifast (4 weeks): Feb 27, 2018, SURGERY: MARCH 27/18 at St. Joseph's in Toronto with Dr. Lindsay. Height 5'2," 49 Years old, Hw: 365, Pre-Op Weight (start of Opti 355), SW 334 CW 175. Weight Loss: Pre-op -19, M1 -23, M2 -18, M3-18, M4-14, M5-14 M6-10, M7-14 M8-8, M9-14 M10-5, M11-10 M12-0, M13 -3, M14 -6, M15 -7

Most Active
Recent Topics