Just had my gastric bypass surgery

Miss Liss
on 3/13/19 12:09 pm

My recovery went pretty smoothly. My surgery was 15 years ago so it's a distant memory now. LOL. But, I seem to remember the first week being difficult and then things just took a turn and I was much better. The first few weeks, staying hydrated was my biggest challenge. Sip, sip, sip. Get those fluids in.

I was out for 2 whole weeks from work. Then I worked half days for 2 weeks. Then I was back full time. The biggest challenge there was making sure I packed everything I needed every day so that I got all of my fluids and protein in. Just have to be organized.

Good luck!! You'll be feeling better in no time.

newday1978
on 3/13/19 2:39 pm
RNY on 03/12/19

Thank you so much!

Daisydoo02
on 3/13/19 2:49 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Congrats new day on being a new RNY post op! Such an exciting time!

I did not have "buyers remorse" but I did feel like my recuperation time seemed to take forever.

I am a slow healer. I took 8 weeks off from work and I needed every single minute of it to recover. I am in awe when I read on here people who took a couple of days off work and then went back full time.

I struggled in the beginning. For me it was just as many physical changes as it was emotional changes. I could no longer drink with my meals, I had to keep an eye on the clock so that I took all my vitamins, I had to remember how many liquids I had so that I didn't get dehydrated! And then there is the fact that I could no longer soothe myself with food. It was a lot and it sure seemed like it took forever to get the "hang of it."

I personally was exhausted until about 3 months post op, then it was like a light bulb turned on and viola it all came so easy. That's my story and everyone here is different so you many whiz through recovery like some or be a snail like me, as long as you keep your eyes on the prize!

I have now 5 years & 3 months post op and I wish I had done this surgery 10 years ago, best decision I did was putting me & my health first.

Best of luck and welcome to OH!

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Cris1976
on 3/13/19 5:07 pm, edited 3/13/19 12:54 pm

Em 13 de março de 2019 às 04:53, horário do Pacífico, newday1978 escreveu:

Eu acabei de fazer minha cirurgia hoje e agora estou apenas pensando, oh meu deus, o que eu fiz para mim mesmo. Estou sofrendo e com medo e lamentando minha decisão. Eu sei que isso vai ficar melhor com o tempo, eu tenho visto antes e depois de fotos on-line e isso ajuda. Eu quero ter esses resultados e recuperar minha vida. Estou incapacitado e deixo-me ir e preciso da ajuda para controlar o meu peso e tentar ter uma melhor qualidade de vida.

Eu queria saber se aqueles que tiveram cirurgia de bypass gástrico poderiam me informar sobre o tempo de recuperação e as primeiras 8 semanas após a cirurgia. Agradeço antecipadamente

Friend,

How do you doing tonight? We here for support.

peachpie
on 3/13/19 5:22 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Fear and regret are typical post op. Don't let it consume you- try and see this as a 'relearning you' phase. Focus on learning how to hydrate and nourish your new postop self.

I stayed out of work 3 weeks post op and focused getting through each post op eating stage. I made my job drinking, walking and tracking those things. Pain was a minor factor by day 4, and 7 days out I felt stronger. constipation was a pain at times- but not frequently. I stayed off the scale until the first post op visit. I eventually settled into daily weighing, which I do still now.

Good luck.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics