19 years out and regain ughhhhh

turner3670
on 3/18/19 2:09 pm

Hello everyone I'm 19 years out I went from 411 to 180 I maintained it up until September 2016 when I began gaining weight by the end of 2017 I was 220 despite weigh****chers increase exercise trying everything you could think of so all of 2018 and currently I've been going back and forth to barriatric Drs at Cleveland clinic they can't figure it out right now they have me set up to see exercise physiologist and another nutritionist I'm so frustrated depressed and at a loss has anyone ever experienced this ?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/18/19 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you tried going back to the diet you followed as a new pre-op? Protein-forward, low carb, low calorie?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

turner3670
on 3/18/19 4:22 pm
turner3670
on 3/18/19 4:23 pm

Honestly it's been so long I don't remember my after my surgery and I didn't have any special diet before all I did was submit paperwork got approved and had the surgery a week later the drs at Cleveland clinic had me do 1200 calorie I had protein shake and a fruit in the morning and afternoon and then for dinner a small meal and I believe a snack but didn't lose anything

Amy R.
on 3/18/19 4:44 pm

Hoping some longer term vets will check in here with you because I'm only 10 years out and it might be different for you at 19.

However in the interim: Regain happens. It looks like you've regained a total of 40 pounds if my math is right? I personally am a serial regainer. I've done it three times and although each has been smaller than the last I hope not to have to do it for time #4.

So my lowest post op weight was originally 177. I thought that worked for me - I'm a 55 year old gramma and no matter what happens I'll never be back in the dating world. I could move around, cross legs, sit in booth, etc.

My third regain was last year. I started out (again) at 197 and figured or hoped to lose 20 pounds by my daughters June wedding. I did and was at 178pounds that day. But my hubby went keto with a vengeance (I can't) and his determination really got to me. Also, there were no more snacks in the house "for him". Honestly I didn't think his weight loss was going to impact me at all.

But here I sit this morning at 145.

I'm not hungry. I'm not stuffed. I feel just right. Without even working on it too hard, I've lost over 50 pounds in the last few months. Here's what I did: ate protein first and most. ate more protein. snacked on protein. drank my protein when I needed to. ate a couple bites of veggies. simple carbs when I gave in to cravings (potatos, etc).

That's it. I didn't do keto or even lazy keto. I cut out the candies and most sugars and probably 80% of the carbs.

There is another member here *****ally inspired me. Actually there are a couple, both much farther out than I am. One of them lost 60+ pounds last year and the other had fought significant regain postop.

I suggest you put regain in the search bar. You'll come up with more than enough to read, I promise. Make your decision and eat accordingly. We'll always have the advantage over non-ops. No malabsorption really any more, but we do have smaller tummies and shorter-ish bowels. Try the 5-day meat test. (Don't bother with the 5-day pouch test).

Good luck. I think you'll be surprised at what you can do just using the resources you already have.

turner3670
on 3/18/19 4:54 pm

Hello and thank you Soooo much may I ask what the meat test is ? Yeah I did the pouch reset I didn't lose a pound or anything so I wouldn't do that again . Thank you

Amy R.
on 3/18/19 5:18 pm

You're welcome. I'll try to find the meat test link. Lurkers: if you've got the link please provide it. =)

Amy R.
on 3/18/19 5:21 pm

5 Day Meat Test Here it is!

turner3670
on 3/19/19 7:25 am

Thanks!

lynnc99
on 3/19/19 5:37 am

So. Regain. Yes. I have 25 lbs to deal with.

My first really tangible step has been to cut out refined sugars, refined carbs, and most fruit. This mean I'm taking my food intake back to basics - a lot more protein and some good veggies are the main event.

I've looked at a lot of variations on low carb eating - specifically keto - but find that the best place for me is right at my post op eating plan without a lot of gimmicks. Even the 5dPT seems like little more than a crash diet to me (I've actually done it once.)

We KNOW what to do. Why is it so hard to DO it?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views