So Discouraged

kairosgrammy
on 4/10/19 4:41 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

I originally had this surgery because I had gone in to see my PCP with back problems which amounted to more orthopedic problems. He looked at me and said, "Lynn, if you don't do something drastic to lose weight, you won't be able to walk or get out of a chair in a year's time. I think you need weight loss surgery." I was shocked but I did it. Weight loss helped my back and a lot of my joint issues. 2 epidurals in my spine and I was not only feeling better but I was no longer using a walker.

A couple of months ago my back started to hurt again, not as bad as before but I did not want to see my back get like it was before so I went to the pain management clinic and they recommended another epidural which I completely asked for because it had helped so, so much. Well, 2 weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, I got the epidural. It went fine and the 1st 24 hours were fine. Was fine Saturday night when I went to bed. Sunday, I woke up with my back in excruciating pain. I figured it was just some nerve aggravation from the epidural and would go away in a few days. It hasn't. The doctor called in oxycodone but I can't take it except if I'm home and nowhere to go cuz I'm completely loopy.

Today, I talked to the pain mgmt CNP and they have no clue why this has happened. I will have an MRI this coming Monday. I have been faithful to exercise since the surgery. I made sure I got steps in at least 5 to 7 days a week or I rode my stationary bike, etc. The 1st 6 months after the surgery, I got steps using the walker but I got steps in every day. This summer I was hiking 6 miles. I have really been very diligent with exercise. I don't think exercise is a way to lose weight, it's another way to be healthy.

I'm terrified. I've worked so hard to be healthier and now it's crumbling, it feels like. I know what hapens when I take a break from exercise, I don't get back to exercising. I'm so depressed and I want to do what I've always done, eat all the things. I haven't but I want to so much.

I wish that was all that has gone on. In addition, my heart beats too slowly and my IBS has gone wonkers because insurance got screwed up. Long story. I just feel so vulnerable right now!!!

Sorry to be a sad sack, I'm not usually but I just feel under attack. Would appreciate prayers if you are the praying sort and kind thoughts.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Patty R.
on 4/10/19 5:12 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I'm sorry you feel so frustrated. Take a deep breath and try to relax, there's nothing you will know for sure until after the MRI. What progress you've made...no longer using a walker and hiking!! The big picture may not be clear right now, but there are certainly small things that are positives to focus on.

kairosgrammy
on 4/10/19 7:02 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

I know but I couldn't hike right now but that was a lot of fun. I know this won't last forever but it just hurts so blamed much and I'm such a baby with pain.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Greateight
on 4/10/19 5:32 pm, edited 4/10/19 10:32 am
RNY on 08/29/18

I don't have any advice, but wishing you well.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

kairosgrammy
on 4/10/19 7:04 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Thank you. I don't imagine advice will help. I just hope the MRI shows what to do because I've got everyone mystified. Just a bad case of feeling sorry for myself. I just needed to cry on shoulders.

Emiepie
on 4/10/19 5:54 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I'm so sorry you're going through this pain. Saying prayers for you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

kairosgrammy
on 4/10/19 7:05 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Thank you so much. I believe in prayer!!!

Cris1976
on 4/10/19 7:56 pm

Fource. I will pray for you tonight.

kairosgrammy
on 4/11/19 3:12 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Thank you!!!

PrivateCitizen
on 4/10/19 11:48 pm

Hello, you said this was a direct spinal injection..where on the spine? cervical, lower? I know a doctor who studies this as her son was affected. His issue after spinal injections was great pain, and nausea, needing to be in a dark room. Do you have any of those problems? Please do some research on your own on this, so you can ask the best questions . You may not have any of the issues in the links, (arachnoiditis) hopefully! but I am concerned for you about the use of steroids in spinal injections. Keep us posted. and fishing you good luck.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2017/9/24/5-things-t o-know-about-epidural-steroid-injections

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/pain-management-arachnoiditis#1

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?