Hydrocodone ER

jdragr
on 4/30/19 4:29 pm - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with

So a little background. I had RNY in 2012. I've consistently kept 100 lbs off. In 2016,2017, 2018 I had cervical fusions. In 2019 I had FRRS, scalenectomy and pec minor release in March. I was sent to pain management after that surgery in April. The dr prescribed Hydrocodone ER even though I told him was bypass and not supposed to take extended release. He disagreed with me and said that is not the case with pain meds. I tried for 2 weeks but it wasn't working. I went back today and he upped the dose but it is still the extended release. Does anyone have experience with hydrocodone ER? Is he correct that it is absorbed correctly. Not sure what to do. Thanks!

SW 296

Teenie
on 4/30/19 5:24 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I always ask for meds in liquid form then they are guarantee not to be time released. I had trouble with it all releasing at once to the point I was drooling. I no longer take those chances.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

jdragr
on 4/30/19 11:12 pm - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with

I wish I could make him understand. I have the opposite problem. I can't tell I have taken anything.

SW 296

Amy R.
on 5/1/19 10:06 am

This is so frustrating. Probably because many of us have been through this with various docs post op. I'm sorry you're dealing with the Extended Release issue. I don't think your doc understands that the worry isn't that it will hurt you. It's that the meds don't stay in our smaller stomachs and intestines long enough to get much of a benefit. I was told initially to just take more as well which did absolutely nothing to help because it doesn't address the real issue.

Do you have a nurse there that you can trust? I finally got my docs attention that way. Eventually I gave her a couple of print-outs on the subject and she then took the issue back up with my doctor. My pain meds were changed that day. Sometimes the nurses can work the subject in to other conversations through out the day so you yourself are not the topic. It might be worth a try?

My only caveat: I'd make sure to NOT hand the doc printouts and try to have those discussions. Some docs seem to think that patient research means their skills and credentials are being questioned. Of course that's not the case, but many throw up a big fat door labeled "NO" almost automatically when presented with online info by the patient.

Good luck. If I had my druthers I'd also always get the liquid form of most meds. Unfortunately that's not a option that my docs provide at the moment. I hope you get relief soon. It's absolutely maddening to have the meds in hand and know that they will not work.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views