Strength/cardio training

Tracywaites
on 11/25/19 9:15 am

I started adding strength training to my cardio I gained three pounds someone help me understand I feel like a failure! Everyone has succeeded during the months I'm out and I'm failing please help. Frustrated and confused

Partlypollyanna
on 11/25/19 10:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18

You've gotten some good advice on previous threads about weighing/measuring and tracking - have you incorporated that in? Have you made any changes with diet as you've been mixing up your work outs? One of the key things I've learned here is that you can't "eat back" your work our calories, so if you're at 600 calories a day then even with working out, you should still be at 600 calories. You are pretty early out - what are you at calorie wise?

if you're not tracking, you should. It doesn't sound like you are an app/gadget person so it's ok to track on paper - I had to do that for 6 months pre op, along with where I ate, what I was feeling and all that Jazz. I couldn't switch to the AP fast enough (I use Baritastic) but everyone is different.

i recommend you come to the daily menu thread and participate there - it's been helpful for me!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Tracywaites
on 11/25/19 4:15 pm

I'm weighing and measuring everything! I still fight with fluids I was back in hospital to fix candy cane malformation so I got back to walking and strengthening maybe it's water I don't know but I'm gonna put on here my menu and maybe I'm doing something wrong or because of the restriction I feel when drinking who knows having an EDG to follow up on my surgery

Tracywaites
on 11/25/19 4:16 pm

This will be my third surgery since Aug 23rd! I've lost a total of 62 pounds

Tracywaites
on 11/25/19 10:10 pm

I did the fitness plan I've been eating over 800 calories

Partlypollyanna
on 11/26/19 2:42 am
RNY on 02/14/18

You should talk to your team to find out what you should be at for fluid, protein and calories.

To my mind, although you don't share what your calorie count/protein/carb/fluid intake, based on what you've said, you are eating too much and not getting enough water.

My team did not give me a calorie restriction, only a protein/water goal and a carb max..and at 3 months out, protein first essentially left no room for anything else. 80 protein, 65 water, under 20 carbs was where I tried to be. I did eventually have to raise my fluid to 100 oz a day.

good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/25/19 1:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you been following the advice you've received already? Logging, weighing, and measuring your food? Staying high-protein, low carb? Making sure you stay under your calorie limit?

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, don't. Calorie-burn estimations are notoriously inaccurate, not to mention the fact that strength training doesn't really burn a lot of calories (as I understand it).

I find that I might gain a pound after a really intense workout, I figure my body is holding on to water or something. It usually balances back out after a day or two.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 11/25/19 3:54 pm - Warren, OH

Something is really wrong and you need to talk with your surgeon and their team. At two months out, you should be dropping two or three pounds a week and definitely not gaining.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Queen JB
on 11/26/19 6:12 am
RNY on 07/20/15

There is no magic--if you are gaining weight you need to eat fewer calories and burn more calories. Weight loss is math.

On average, a person needs to create a deficit of 3500 calories a day to lose 1lb. You are already burning some by just walking, breathing and blinking (on average x10 of your body weight), so that is your base.

If you are gaining weight (long term, not just a quick overnight fluctuation) it means you are taking in more calories than you are burning (that might be because you are eating too many calories, you are carb sensitive, or your resting metabolism is lower than average), but that is how weight is gained. Period.

To lose, you have to play around with taking in fewer calories and/or burning more to hit a deficit of (on average) 3500 calories to lose that pound. If you want to lose more than a pound, and/or lose pounds more quickly, you have to take in even less and burn even more.

I'm not saying it is easy to do any of this, but at a few months post op, this is as easy as it is going to get for you, so figure out your calorie balance now while you still have this tool working for you. I am 3.5 years out and I can eat portion sizes like I used to... The only thing keeping me from gaining it all back now is the habits I created during the first year.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Tracywaites
on 11/26/19 10:13 am

Thank you very much! My plan had me eating carbs I've cut them out since yesterday didn't have any tweaked my diet back to my third week of the program I had a two pound weight lose. So it works thxs I will keep exercising especially since I've grown to enjoy it ?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 338 views