Leftover meat issues

cheapskate
on 11/9/21 7:00 am
RNY on 03/30/15

For those of you who struggle with leftover meat consistency/dryness what have you found works best for you? I just don't always have the time to make fresh especially because i need it for lunch at work.

looking for ideas of specific recipes. I don't tolerate plain eggs, dark meat or super fatty meats(you can see the problem).

Partlypollyanna
on 11/9/21 7:11 am
RNY on 02/14/18

How do you feel about sauces? If you think it might help, I have a couple I could share. I remember someone here used to call the wiggle sauces because they help the food wiggle down.

I also find that the microwave dries things out to much so I reheat in the skillet when I can or just have cold.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

califsleevin
on 11/9/21 7:45 am - CA

Aka, "meat lube". I usually reheat in gravy or sauce, watered down if necessary, or chop it up and have it cold in a salad. Something like pot roast or chicken that we can have in a taco, then reheat on low in a bit of water with appropriate seasoning to flavor it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

cheapskate
on 11/9/21 8:22 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am Willing to try anything at this point. I've been having severe brain fog and we think we've narrowed it down to extremely low protein (my requirements post op are higher than most)

Partlypollyanna
on 11/9/21 2:31 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

This is my favorite sauce for chicken or green veggies - butter, ginger, sf orange marmalade -- you can mix it up with different spices, other sf jams; sometimes I throw in some black peppercorns - stir everything together until it's melted and toss the chicken or veggies with it.

For all meats, you can do a bit of 2 parts low sodium soy sauce, 1 part rice wine vinegar and you can add a bit of sesame oil or teriyaki or anything like that; I used to do the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil plus honey but I don't miss the honey at all.

Good luck!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Teenie
on 11/9/21 8:11 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I had meat issues for the first 3 years. I could never eat anything that was reheated in a Microwave!! That is where my Air fryer came in. I line it with foil to cut down on the clean up. I also almost always add some topping such as Mayo, mustard, SF BBQ, Some bottled Asian sauces work as well. If you still can not tolerate it try to only eat ground meat products. There is an awesome French onion Turkey Meatloaf recipe on here that is great. I reheat the leftovers on the grill and add a piece of cheese and ranch dressing. Hope you find a way to enjoy meat again.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

lmfontana4
on 11/9/21 9:34 am
RNY on 03/24/21

I cook my meats (before they become leftovers) in the crockpot or intstapot so that they stay moist. I always add water, broth or a sauce to that they are "soaked" and softened encough to be shredded if I desire that. Otherwise, sauces or gravies may be your best option. Check out Pininterest or AllRecipes for ideas.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/21 9:55 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I'm probably the worst person to weigh in on this subject.... because I'm like a 3/4 vegetarian ( not by choice necessarily.... I just really can't eat other foods than fat free dairy and veg most of the time .

Once in a while I'll happily eat a barbecue or cold cuts though ... but maybe like every two weeks now .

Rice n peas are like a fantastic complete protein... potatoes and corn also ... fat free milk , sour cream and cottage cheese ( and fat free feta ) truly work too ...

KalesD
on 11/10/21 9:17 am
RNY on 09/30/20

Sauce... or I eat it cold. I can't do microwaved meat any other way now..

when I make ground beef I put Dijon mustard in it.. so it's super moist when reheated.. ground Turkey I usually do taco style with lots of sauce.. chicken I make in the crock pot or instapot till it shreds and then I enjoy it cold

Surgery 09/30/20

CW: 147.6 |SW: 221.6 |HW: 255

Learning my new normal, one day at a time.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/10/21 10:54 am

Reheating meat on a stove, in liquids is my best bet for meat my body tolerates. I use a skillet, and chicken or beef broth and some fat if the meat is really lean. I can't eat or digest meat reheated in microwave. Even my cats wont eat that.

Pork - I have to have it fully cooked: over-well done.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views