Julia S.’s Posts

Julia S.
on 2/19/24 8:04 am
Topic: RE: Let?s get this Monday started, menu friends!

My BFF is an optician and she says there is no difference between Costco frames and lenses except the price. Their labs are just as good. I've bought my glasses at Costco for a long time. They even now take VSP.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Julia S.
on 2/17/24 7:23 am
Topic: RE: Happy Saturday, what?s the plan today?

Sadly that is what happens, my last kitty stopped grooming himself and just kept losing weight. I hope your kitty gets better.

Julia S.
on 2/17/24 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Happy Saturday, what?s the plan today?

QOTD- Not a instrument but we have a neighbor who thinks his bass needs to be heard for blocks around. I really don't like loud bass it makes my ears hurt.

Working this morning, and my roommate will be leaving sometime this AM. I thought that his girlfriend was gone, so I walked into his bedroom to get hangers. His laundry was in the dryer so I was being nice. I felt bad about just walking in. He left this morning about 5 and I have no idea where he is. I called and he didn't answer. He needs to get the rental car and get out of here. I'm not his mother, or girlfriend just a friend. So there isn't much I can say.

Have a great day everyone!

Julia S.
on 2/16/24 9:35 am
Topic: RE: What's on your (PHOTO) Friday Menu?

QOTD- 7 countries, so many more I want to see.

I almost bought a new refrigerator yesterday, until finally checking and rechecking the measurements. The one I wanted was too wide for the space, another one was too tall. This is a very small space and I was wanting a refrigerator with ice and water in the door. Unfortunately the ones I found only have water, what's the point if the ice is inside? The options are to cut the counter, or cut the cabinet above the fridge or just forget it. I hate the current refrigerator it groans- literally sounds like an old man groaning and freezes my yogurt and other things on the top shelf.

My roommate is leaving tomorrow, and one of his girlfriends is freaking out. She took the day off to spend it with him. He needs to go to the DMV and do Doordash, Instacart or Grubhub. I'm not sure why she is so concerned. He hasn't dumped his other girlfriend and this one doesn't know about the other one. Basically I say make up your mind, he wants her to dump him but she isn't doing it. Someone sent him flowers for VD, I know that they weren't for me and there was no name on them and they were left in our front porch. I actually didn't see them until yesterday.

I'm actually looking forward to having the house to myself. I'm tired of visitors and having to deal with all of it.

I need to get back to work.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Julia S.
on 2/15/24 8:27 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Thursday Menu?

QOTD- My Mom loved Carousel and wanted to name me Julie, but I was named after my great grandmother Julia Anne, and I hate being called Julie I haven't been her since high school.

Love that meme!

I usually take a sleeping pill at bedtime, and I sleep around 4-5 hours. Last night I fell asleep without it and was awake at 2AM and didn't really get back to sleep. So my head is throbbing and I'd love to not be working today. I just read until it was time for work. On the plus side I got a mani-pedi yesterday.

Sheila you made me laugh so hard.

Not enough coffee to keep me going, so I need to get another cup.

Julia S.
on 2/14/24 7:45 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Wednesday Menu?

QOTD- I mostly took my lunch, and it was probably too healthy.

My roommate got a job that hopefully will last more than a day. He has to go back to Utah for a 1 week class. They are giving him a rental car since he refuses to fly with his legs jammed into the seat in front of him. He'll be gone for a week and then be on the road. If he is out for 18 days he gets 3 days off. So I probably won't be seeing him very often. His latest girlfriend is still in the house, she came over on Monday and will leave today. She works Weds- Sat at a residential drug rehab facility. She's an RN. She seems nice enough.

My Fitbit One is no longer holding a charge, I have another one that I'm using. I also have a couple of Fitbit Flex 2's that I used to have a magnetic holder for, that I can no longer find and I can't locate one on Ebay. I don't wear a watch and don't like to wear anything on my wrist, so if these die I'm not sure what I will do. Apparently there are a couple of them that you can get a 3rd party carrier for, so if I need to buy a new one I'll try one of those.

I'm watching Prime Suspect on Britbox and I cringe at all of the smoking in it. I know it was the early 90's but it just amazes me how much things have changed, for the better. I used to work in an office that allowed smoking and it was awful, I liked working in the equipment room as there was no smoking allowed due to the electronics. Back then it was Pacific Northwest Bell.

My roommate gave me flowers for Valentines, really nice.

Julia S.
on 2/13/24 11:42 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Tuesday Menu?

I honestly only read something if it interests me. If I can't get into after the first 5-10 minutes I dump it. Life is way too short to read stuff you don't want to. Neil Gaimans book just gave me ideas for new authors that I haven't discovered, they may or may not work out but at least it is someone new to me. I'm always looking for books...

Julia S.
on 2/13/24 7:32 am, edited 2/12/24 11:34 pm

I found something horrible at Costco. It's a chocolate coated chocolate mousse made in Belgium. I put it down and walked away, but came back and bought one. Talk about sugar overload, but it was so good. There are 6 to a package and I froze them so I hopefully won't be eating another one soon. I shared it with my roommate and his friend, but still managed to eat most of it. Beware!

I've discovered that there truly isn't enough time to read all of the books that I would like to. I realize how many I have missed and would now like to read. How do you balance that? I can't spend my life just reading as much as I would like to. I have discovered that I'm not as well read as I thought. How could I have missed so many books and great authors?

Enough ramblings, I need to get to work. I didn't really have an answer for the QOTD, I guess that they weren't very memorable.

I forgot to mention that my violets are blooming, love the sweet scent. My flowering plum? tree is blooming too. Pretty little pink blossoms. Maybe it is spring or at least the flowers are convinced.

Julia S.
on 2/13/24 6:56 am

What a beautiful bracelet, you are so talented Mel!

I'm so sorry about your birthday. I know how it goes my birthday is January 5th so I always got the Christmas/Birthday gift. And one time my ex-husband bought himself a gift and didn't even bother to get me a card.

Julia S.
on 2/12/24 8:41 am, edited 2/12/24 4:21 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu?

QOTD- No filter here, my roommate calls it Splicer Mode as in (Cable Splicer). I've spent my entire work life in non-traditional jobs working almost entirely with men. I also have no poker face...

I went to the wool sale on Saturday and got to see sheep, an alpaca, a gorgeous huger rooster and other misc. animals. I was good and didn't buy any more fleeces. I still have a large garbage bag filled with fleeces that I need to wash and process. It's more of a summertime thing. I did talk to some of the people there and got some advice on my roommates spinning wheel. So for me that is a win, I don't normally talk to people. But like I told my roommate they are my kind of people, they spin and knit and have the same interests so it's easy to talk to them.

I didn'****ch the game, but did find the Jason Mamoa commercial, it was fun. I don't know about any of the other commercials.

I will check out Tracker, Justin Hartley is easy on the eyes...

Julia S.
on 2/10/24 6:59 am
Topic: RE: What?s up for your Saturday?

Opal is so pretty!

QOTD- Lately I've been eating fruit-grapes or raspberries to fill the sweet. But I agree with Jen just eat what your craving but in moderation.

Yesterday was a long day. My co-worker was making me change my job to add stuff I don't usually add. I was frustrated and so was she, some yelling was involved and I was told I triggered her anxiety. I probably did, but not intentionally. So I spent all day on one job and I've already spent too much time on it. This is like revision 3...

We went to Costco yesterday. When did it get so expensive? All we really bought was food and garbage bags. I still need to go to Winco for Fairlife Milk and grapes.

I'm working today to make up for the day or so that I couldn't work because the software wasn't working. I would really rather not work, but I need the money.

I can't wait to hear Jim tell about the concert and any possible celebrity sightings.

Julia S.
on 2/9/24 8:34 am

I need to do that, I have such limited space in my kitchen. I try to get rid of the mismatched containers, but I'm not always successful, my roommate contributes to the plethora of plastic containers. Even after we bought the glass ones like you have we still have too many plastic ones.

Julia S.
on 2/9/24 8:29 am

QOTD- I was going to say just slow, but then I got the Gateway Timeout, right when I was trying to go to the next page.

Another gray day in the PNW, not raining at the moment but it will be soon. Still trying to get myself motivated to get to the gym or just workout.

My no wine streak ended last night with 2 glasses, but that was all. So not too bad, but I wanted to make it a month. I wasn't really craving it, just missed it. So I gave in. As long as I can keep the amount down, I think I'll be OK.

Hard to believe it is Friday, for some reason this week has flown. I was thinking Wednesday was Tuesday and my roommate lost a couple of days too. Short month and my roommates birthday is on the 29th. He will be 15...LOL I'm sure he wasn't happy as a kid to only have a birthday every 4 years.

My software issue was finally resolved so I can work again.

Hard to believe that the season of Doctor Who I'm watching was made 61 years ago. I'm pretty sure all of the actors are dead. It's kind of campy, and like a movie serial, but I'm sticking it out. Coming to the end of Line of Duty and hoping that there will be another season, but it doesn't look like it. I'll find something else for my new obsession.

I've been reading Neil Gaimans The View From The Cheap Seats and it's giving me a lot of new to me authors to try. What an amazing person he is. I've never really been a comic book or graphic novel person, but I would like to read Sandman. My library doesn't have it, and it is horribly expensive to buy the I think 14 books. The series on Amazon Prime was amazing, and it you saw the episode with the cats he is the voice of the bird in it. Also he wrote Lucifer and so many other things.

Julia S.
on 2/8/24 9:19 am

QOTD- No unless it's my team I have no interest in the Super Bowl.

Menopause sucks, I had a hysterectomy so was in instant Menopause. Hot flashes are no joke. I still find my body is not as good at regulating its temperature as it used to be. I used to love the heat, but find it's hard to tolerate now. I go from being hot to being cold, but upper body is hot and my legs and feet are freezing. My solution at night is to shut off the vent in my bedroom so that it cools down the the mid 60's. I always sleep with a electric blanket, a wool blanket, and down comforter. In the summer I ditch the electric blanket. I have 2 weights of down comforter but find I can't use the heavier one any more. Aging is not for wimps.

I wasn't very good yesterday. My dinner was a bag of popcorn and a box of Milk Duds. Way too many calories and no protein. I've been really good sticking around 1000 calories and 70g of protein, but not yesterday. I don't even want to enter it into Fitbit, but I will.

Still having issues with my work software. It is not working, so I can't work. Very frustrating! I've created 2 tickets but no response yet.

OK I'm really late to the game but started watching Doctor Who on Britbox last night. I've always kind of avoided it, it just seemed pretty stupid. But I've seen the first episode from I think it's 1963 and it wasn't bad, so I will continue. It will give me tons of things to watch. I'm hooked on Line of Duty, and have been watching one my old favorites Waiting for God. I love British TV. I've read almost all of the Ann Cleeve books so I started watching Vera and will watch Shetland. My roommate doesn't understand my obsession with British TV.

Julia S.
on 2/8/24 9:01 am

DeJoy should have been fired on Bidens first day!

Julia S.
on 2/7/24 9:09 am

QOTD- Bakery overload. Cinnamon Rolls, ginger snaps, fruit torte, dutch apple pie, pumpkin scones, fresh baked biscuits with fresh raspberry jam or honey, fresh baked bread...you get the gist.

The scale is not rewarding me for the lack of wine. It's just depressing. Plus I need to get my ass out there and do something for exercise. Sometimes I miss my treadmill but not the space it took up. When it's pouring rain and I don't want to venture out or deal with people. I'm afraid I'm turning into a recluse. I find myself less tolerant of people...I guess I'm just a sad lonely person. My only escapes are books and TV, not much of a life.

Sorry I'm feeling sorry for myself, I need to just Snap Out of It as Mary Engelbright would say.

My annoying work is calling on the other computer so I need to go.

Julia S.
on 2/6/24 7:17 am

QOTD- The impressionists specifically Monet, there was a painting at the Palace of Fine Art in SF that I fell in love with. It was titled The Grand Canal Venice. The colors were amazing. I also love sculpture The David was amazing, I had the hardest time walking away from him. I also loved Winged Victory at the Louvre. I found that there was so much art it was overwhelming and hard to pick a favorite. Actually I discovered sculpture in Europe there is so much of it and it is so amazing. I'm also fascinated by Egyptian art and building, would love to go to see the pyramids. I also want to see the pyramids in Mexico and all of the standing stones in the UK countries.

Another long day ahead, I need to get back to work.

Julia S.
on 2/5/24 7:45 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu?

QOTD- The hunger was totally gone after surgery. Now it's more I feel weak like I need to eat, but not true hunger. I've pretty much stay on a schedule. I do know that I get grumpy when it's been too long since I've eaten.

I feel that meme, it's been 16 days and I weigh exactly the same. Still no alcohol. I also have substituted fruit for the salty pretzels or chips I used to eat.

I finally made it to The Boys In The Boat. It was good, the book was way more detailed. There was popcorn and milk duds. My popcorn and drink were actually free due to my birthday. So the whole movie cost me 50 cents. It wasn't my favorite theater, no recliners and the seats weren't that comfortable, and my legs were freezing. It was the only theater that was nearby that was showing this movie. I also ended up with a metal popcorn tub that has Saw X on it, I never could watch those movies.

I miss football. But I'm not going to watch the Super Bowl. I don't like either team, especially KC. The only thing that interests me is the commercial with Jason Mamoa with a imitation of the Flash Dance water scene.

Julia S.
on 2/3/24 12:22 pm
Topic: RE: Happy Saturday! What?s on your menu?

QOTD- I pretty much hate seeing any book made into a movie. I too imagine the characters one way and the movie totally ruins it for me.

Slow day today, I did make it to the nature park yesterday I did 1.2 miles. I'd like to do more but my back and legs were killing me, so I'm taking it easy. I don't remember if I mentioned but I took several falls and my back was spasming, so I'm going slow.

Mel I don't know how you can handle the pain.

I need to find something to do, I'm looking out at a beautiful day. So far all I've manage to do is finish the book I was reading. I think I read it before. Into the Woods by Tana French it was really good. I still would like to know what happened to the 2 kids from 1984 that disappeared, but no answers were forthcoming.

My weight stubbornly stays the same. I guess I shouldn't expect miracles in 2 weeks, but at least part of a pound? Really? This is day 15 of no wine...

Julia S.
on 2/2/24 11:16 am

Watch out for that tree!!!

Julia S.
on 2/2/24 9:32 am

QOTD- I just signed up for Brit Box so I have a ton of things to watch. I was watching Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances, and one with Helen Mirren that I can't remember the name of. She's a detective and there is a remake on Pea**** so I thought that I would watch the original. Most of the British shows are so much better than the American remakes.

I actually filed my taxes a few days ago. I finally got Turbo Tax to import my data from last year. I ended up paying the feds but I'm getting a nice refund from the state, thanks to the kicker law. It's a bizarre law that says if they collect more taxes than they estimate they have to return the excess to the taxpayers. It's every 2 years so I'm not going to complain.

Is anyone planning on going to the OH conference this year? I would love to have a meet-up with everyone. It will be a lot easier to get there than from Maui.

Julia S.
on 2/1/24 8:54 am

QOTD- I signed up a week before surgery, but I remember lurking for a while before I posted.

So far the rain has missed us, sorry CA I'm not sure why and it looks like it will be sunny for about 4 days after today. I need to make sure that I get to the nature park. Today I get my hair done at 3, so it won't be today. It will be too dark by the time I get there. But at least the days are getting longer approximately +1 minute a day.

I hate my scale, it was the same as yesterday but when I stepped on it a second time it went up 2 lbs then again another 1lb the 3rd time. Just take the first reading and call it good. I just keep hoping it will drop a few lbs but so far no. I have been so good and I feel like the scale should reward me, but it hasn't.

I'm not sure what happened, I used to workout 6 days a week and that was while I was working in person. I don't know how I fitted it all in back then. But I can't seem to get myself going. I haven't been to the gym since Covid, so I just need to do it.

Julia S.
on 1/31/24 2:27 pm

QOTD- Nothing planned, but I would love to go on vacation pretty much anywhere that doesn't have snow.

QJB- Congratulations on the new job!

Not much going on here, we too are expecting the atmospheric river to hit today. So far not much, but I won't discount it. We have roads that are closed due to slides so not good for the ground.

My roommate had a woman over last night. It was weird. It was the first time he's had someone stay overnight. I only met her last night so I have no clue. She is an RN that owns her own house, so that's good. I tried to talk to her but didn't get anywhere. He wants my opinion but I don't have anything to go on.

Still sticking around 1000 calories and no wine. So I will see what the scale says on Monday.

Julia S.
on 1/30/24 12:09 pm

You made me laugh! I know what you mean.

Julia S.
on 1/30/24 7:34 am

QOTD- Tylenol does nothing for me. I got the OK from my PCP to very occasionally take ibuprofen, since it is the only thing that works for me.

My roommate is coming back today, they cut him from the job because of 2 incidents that were not reported to the police. He supposedly hit a pole-he didn't and even the company disputes it, and the other was he cut it too close and hit another truck leaving the lot but there was no damage. He's not sure how this information got to them and is afraid the previous company is black balling him. So he's looking for a new job, and will be providing this information to his attorney. I gotta say he has the worst luck.

I'm trying not to get hung-up on the scale. I have two one is a Renpho that gives you all kinds of measurements, the other is a Weigh****chers scale. They never agree the Renpho is always about 2lbs heavier. I try to tell myself it's just a number and continue to do what I'm doing, and not weigh myself every day. Can you say OCD?

We are supposed to hit 60 today, a record high. It was 58 yesterday. I should have gone to the nature park, but I ended up chatting with my neighbors and got the scoop on the new neighbors and what's been going on in the neighborhood. So I didn't make it, but talking to people in person was worth it. I love my neighbors.

I need to run to the grocery store today, and return something from Amazon to Whole Foods. If his girlfriend doesn't pick him up I will go to the airport at about 6PM to pick up my roommate. Those are my big plans for the day.