Julia S.’s Posts

Julia S.
on 7/12/18 1:07 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery Yesterday

Congratulations! For me the gas pain in my neck and shoulders was the worst pain. It took me several days for it to go away, but it does.

Just walk and sip and take care of yourself.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Julia S.
on 7/10/18 12:46 pm
Topic: RE: Iron

I would check with your doctor. Mine gave me a prescription for ferrous glucanate which was horrible it caused awful constipation. I switched to ferrous fumarate and have not had any problems but there are many other people on here that can give you more information. Also I just had my first post-op labs done and I'm not sure where I stand.

Julia S.
on 7/9/18 5:36 pm
Topic: RE: Morning of Surgery a blow to the gut.

Unfortunately losing weight and WLS can be very difficult on relationships. Remind her of why you had the surgery, that you are still here and moving towards your goal which I assume is a healthier you and a longer lifespan. It can be threatening to others, they fear by you changing that you will not need them any more. It really hurts to have someone you are depending on for support make you feel like you are crazy or endangering your life by your choice.

Talk about all of this, express your feelings in a non threatening way and I would suggest counseling. Don't let someone else, even your wife make you feel bad about your choices. You made them for the right reasons- to benefit your health.

We are all here for you! Take care of yourself.

Julia S.
on 7/9/18 5:23 pm
Topic: RE: Ugh Iron

I had horrible constipation from the ferrous gluconate, so I switched to ferrous fumarate. Waiting for my first set of labs to come in so I'll know where I stand. I do a stool softener (Costco generic Colace) am & pm to prevent constipation. I never found that fiber did much for me, but everyone is different. Good Luck!

Julia S.
on 7/9/18 5:15 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery Tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow! You will be fine, so tomorrow will start the new chapter in your weight loss journey. Bon Voyage!

Julia S.
on 7/9/18 7:26 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers?

I loved Jack Jack and the raccoon, it made me laugh so hard.

Julia S.
on 7/6/18 2:39 pm
Topic: RE: What's on your (PHOTO) Friday Menu, RNYers?

I hope so, the pain was not fun! But neither was the EGD.

Julia S.
on 7/6/18 1:03 pm

I was out of it yesterday after the EGD, I just vegged most of the day. Yes I have an ulcer, they did a biopsy so I'll have the results in a couple of weeks. My surgeon didn't say I should limit anything just eat as usual, and take the carafate. Hard to gag down the horse pills and it disrupts my vitamin regimen, had my schedule down so I could get them all in. Now I'm supposed to take 4 carafate a day, 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after which is really hard to do. Plus if you don't get the pill down on the first try it melts in your mouth gag...

I didn't get all my protein in yesterday or vitamins, or pills for that matter. Hopefully it will be better today.

I love all of the pics everyone.

Julia S.
on 7/4/18 7:45 am
Topic: RE: What's on your (4th of July) Wednesday Menu, RNYers?

Working today as I'm a contractor and if I don't work I don't get paid.

The only fireworks legal in Oregon are the ones that do not go into the air. But in Washington and on the Indian Reservations they sell everything so people just go there to buy them. My neighbors have been setting the big ones off for the last 2 nights. I hate the noise it triggers my PTSD. My cat is getting deaf so it doesn't bother him. I'm hoping they won't go until 1am this year as it is the middle of the week, but I don't count on it. Oh well I'll get some sleep tomorrow when I have my EGD.

Julia S.
on 7/3/18 12:03 pm
Topic: RE: help, is it gas or am i going to vomit?

You're probably taking Ursodiol to prevent gall stones. I have to take it for a year post-op and I'm supposed to take it with food.

Julia S.
on 7/3/18 10:46 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

I would recommend Charlotte Delbo "Auschwitz and After" I have several books written by women about their experiences in the Holocaust and this is the one I read and reread.

Julia S.
on 7/3/18 8:54 am
Topic: RE: Need some words of encouragement....

I also had to do the 6 months physician supervised diet, I didn't have to lose a particular amount of weight which is a good thing because I actually gained 15lbs. It took me about 13 months to get surgery. After the 6 months it was denied because my surgeon was not Center of Excellence certified, which is only for my insurance company United Healthcare. I tried other surgeons, and ran into other problems. Finally I was going to self-pay but my surgeon got it worked out so it was insurance paid.

I would talk to the insurance company as long as you have the 6 months in, and don't delay too long the approval should be good. But since the surgeon has changed you may have to resubmit for approval. It will normally take 5-10 business days.

I think they want us to give up, but don't do it. Do whatever you need to get the surgery, it is worth it.

Julia S.
on 7/3/18 7:12 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

The Book Thief was amazing! I haven't seen the movie I'm usually disappointed by books that are made into movies.

Julia S.
on 6/30/18 1:55 pm
Topic: RE: What?s on your Saturday menu RNYers?

Thank you!

Julia S.
on 6/30/18 10:36 am, edited 6/30/18 3:38 am
Topic: RE: What?s on your Saturday menu RNYers?

No plans for the 4th, unfortunately I'm a contractor and don't get holidays or vacation. So if I don't work I don't get paid. I'm hoping the fireworks aren't too bad, annoying neighbors that keep going until well after midnight, with strictly illegal fireworks. I hate loud noises they trigger my PTSD, so since it's a weeknight I'm hoping it won't be too bad. If not I have some lunesta.

Menu's been pretty boring but I did manage to get in the additional protein per my NP's request. She's all about not losing lean body mass, and I'm with her.

Need to mow the lawn before it gets too hot. A trip to Costco this afternoon for more salmon to attempt another load of salmon jerky. I'll see my horse tomorrow and my best friend, my barn mom-she has 3 grown boys and wishes I were her daughter.

Julia S.
on 6/29/18 2:31 pm
Topic: RE: A little bit nervous

After the suspected diagnosis of an ulcer, I now have to get an EGD next week. If it really is an ulcer what can they actually do about it? Or is the Dr. concerned it could be something else? Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice? Sorry lots of questions.

Julia S.
on 6/29/18 7:11 am

Had my 4 month check up and found out that the stomach/abdomen pain is an ulcer. So I'm back on the omeprazole and added carafate. Feeling some relief today. The pain started the day after I quit the omeprazole, so apparently I still need it. They also told me it probably isn't the food that is causing the nausea, so I'll have to try some things I eliminated.

The good news is I'm no longer MO now only obese.

They do want me to up my protein to 75g to prevent losing any lean body mass, and to up my workouts and lift some weights. I'm good with that.

I will try to up my shrimp to 3oz and see if I can get it all in. Add in another Premier Protein Clear at 20g protein. (Still can't stand the shakes)

But it's Friday and I work from home on Fridays and I have my counselor today, so it'll be a good day.

Julia S.
on 6/28/18 8:43 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Thursday Menu, RNYers?

If you like Pendleton Woolen Mills go to the outlet store in Washougal. They have good deals on clothes all kinds of stuff, fabric as well.

Julia S.
on 6/28/18 8:39 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Thursday Menu, RNYers?

When I read "Appetites" by Caroline Knapp I realized that anorexia is just the flip side of obesity. They are the same struggle and search for control. If we become fixated on a number we lose perspective. When I lost weight before I swore I would kill myself if I gained a pound. Which of course I didn't do, and I was at 135lbs which for me was unmaintainable, at the time I was 5'7" tall and in my mid 30's. Now at 60 I've lost a couple of inches only 5'5" and my goal is 145.

In the past the longest I maintained weight loss was 5 years, and honestly I was OCD about food and working out, and overall not very happy. I don't want to go back to that space, I can't make myself fit in that mold anymore so I'm not going to try.

Today I have my 3 month follow up visit, although it's closer to 5 months with my surgeons office. I'm hoping they will be pleased with my progress.

I'm struggling with some stomach pain for the last 3 days and hoping they can tell me what's going on.

Julia S.
on 6/27/18 12:54 pm
Topic: RE: Restriction?

I am on my 5th month post-op and I've learned to weigh and measure everything. Because one bite too many will put me in excruciating pain. And the difference is really hard to tell it can be very subtle, I have learned to listen to my body and if it feels like I'm getting close I stop.

I've recently started keeping a journal to determine what foods adversely affect me. I keep track of how I'm feeling, if I have nausea, cramping etc. Of course I log all of my food with Fitbit and with the journal I can try to figure out what food it was that caused the problem, rather than just relying on my memory.

Julia S.
on 6/27/18 11:56 am
Topic: RE: total colectomy!?!

My BFF was on high doses of morphine due to nerve pain from an accident where he wa**** by a drunk driver. His doctor cut his dosage to the point where he had withdrawal symptoms, nausea, vomiting, sweating etc. he went to the ER and they did not figure out that is what was going on. They suspected the flu go figure. The two of us figured it out. They don't care about people with chronic pain, it's a one size fits all fix to just cut the meds without understanding the consequences. I honestly believe congress has no business interfering between a doctor and patient. Not to say there aren't too many opioids prescribed, but they need to look at each person individually not a blanket fix.

Personally I don't get it all opioids make me sick, so I have zero interest in them.

Julia S.
on 6/27/18 9:01 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Wednesday Menu, RNYers?

I've been spinning pulled sari silk, it is so much fun and the colors are fabulous but it is expensive. I've got multiple fleeces to process, wash and card. Thanks for reminding me, I should do it now since it is warm out and they will dry faster. Something to add to the "Fun" side of my to do list.

Julia S.
on 6/27/18 8:33 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Wednesday Menu, RNYers?

I was wondering if I was the only one who had issues with soy protein. Pre-op I did soy mochas but changed to coconut milk and never had any problems. Was told to minimize my soy intake due to breast cancer, no estrogen even plant based. I too bought some Kay's Protein Pretzels and other soy based snacks and they cause nausea for me. So I just wasted too much money. Does anyone know of any protein snacks that are not milk or soy based? I don't eat meat only fish and shrimp. I also found out I'm lactose intolerant after surgery.

Julia S.
on 6/27/18 7:36 am
Topic: RE: Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a question about workout equipment at home.

Just to echo what others said I never go without shoes. I've had plantar fasciitis and was told by my podiatrist to never go without shoes even indoors. I also buy good shoes with lots of support. I have a treadmill and try to only use it when I can't go outside. I really like a good elliptical and don't like the bike much- but it can be good exercise if done to a fast enough pace.

Julia S.
on 6/25/18 8:15 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers?

QOTD: The ocean definitely. The waves are like my heartbeat, they constantly call to me. The ocean in Oregon is always cold, I used to run in as deep as I could stand it and have blue legs to show for it. I try to drive down every month or so it's only 1 1/2 hours and just walk on the beach. The ocean puts all of my problems in perspective. I plan to retire to Maui. The first time I went was 35 years ago and as soon as I stepped off the plane it felt like home. I used to try to go every year, but a divorce and lack of funds put an end to that several years ago. If I could afford it I would be gone tomorrow.

Accountability: Saturday was really bad, had too much alcohol, I was still only at 1100 calories but it felt like much more. I'm trying to not beat myself up too bad about it and move forward with awareness and not do it again. Back on track Sunday.