What do I have to do to convince my sister?...

farewell2fat
on 10/18/10 11:43 am - Apopka, FL
 What can I do to convince my sister (travel companion) that traveling to Mexico for VSG is a safe & successful option?? She is very skeptical. I have even forwarded her one of the MANY letters of accolades about Dr. Aceves.

mini_me_ now
on 10/18/10 11:54 am
maybe pm some of the ones who have just returned  maybe  someone would bewilling to talk to your sister on the phone and so she can ask questions.

Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 11:57 am - Mexico
I wouldn't worry about it. Just ignore. She will see things for herself and apologize for not trusting your research.

If she is that uncomfortable, don't take her.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
kt1
on 10/18/10 11:59 am
for me it is not the Dr, it is Mexico in general. Many people on here may have traveled safely to Mexico, but I would never go there. Many thousands of people have been kidnapped or murdered in the last few years. I don't know if this is a concern of hers or just going out of the country for surgery. Dr. Aceves seems to have done a large number of surgeries and people have high praise of him. Good luck

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 10/18/10 12:03 pm - New Orleans
If she doesn't hush up, just tell her not to bother & that you'll go by yourself.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Bruce S.
on 10/18/10 12:54 pm - Portland, TN
Could always tell her that you are just going to east la, she wont be able to tell the difference.
SassyItalian
on 10/18/10 10:17 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I would probably never consider going to Mexico, I had heard horror stories about botched plastic surgeries there, etc, BUT!- I think your Dr. has done about 30x the surgeries that mine has! !!   Because this may be the self pay route he has has soooo much more experience than most other Doctors. So being in the medical profession and scoffing at some foreign surgeons, I still think its not a bad idea. So i'd just say- I have faith in the doctor doing the surgery because he probably has more experiece than any other and we all know that practice makes perfect.
Beautiful_day
on 10/18/10 11:02 pm

It is truly unfortunate that she feels this way. It is not her decision; if it bothers her so much tell her you can and will go by yourself. Remind her that you love her, but this is something you need to do for yourself. The experience I had with Dr Aceves in Mexicali was the best experience ever, medically, I have ever experienced. They took better care of me than any of my family's surgeons did in prominent US hospitals. Everything went like clockwork. Put Ninas number in your cell and go. It will be smooth, you will be great. Leaving home is the first leg of your journey.
You will be great! We are here if you need us.

farewell2fat
on 10/19/10 12:19 am - Apopka, FL
 Thanks everybody! She's going with me regardless, but it would be nice if she had a little more faith in me. She is a sleeve patient herself, having done it in the US though. The way I look at it, like others have pointed out, is that Dr.Aceves has done WAY more sleeves than many US surgeons. The surgeon I would've used here has only done approx 100, Aceves has done approx 1000!! I'll take the doctor w/more experience any day & suck up my fears of traveling to traveling to Mexico!!! ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views