How long does it really suck at first??..honestly!!

farewell2fat
on 10/21/10 11:32 pm - Apopka, FL
Ok post op VSG'ers..How long does life really suck after VSG before you start to see the light at the end of tunnel & realize that surgery was well worth it??? Just trying to mentally prepare myself. 

Longhorn Girl
on 10/21/10 11:35 pm - Austin, TX
For me, I never thought it sucked, and I have never regretted it for 1 day. Honestly! My recovery was easy, so I was lucky in that respect.
~ Jennifer ~
I am 5'5" tall.  HW / SW / CW / GW  :   224 / 216 / 157 / 140

Margo N.
on 10/22/10 2:47 am
Same here - I had a very easy recovery, and other than a few stalls lasting 2-3 weeks each, my weight loss has been steady, my energy great, and I am able to eat a variety of tasy foods.

I occasionally have a bit of nausea with my morning vitamins and once in a blue moon I find that they make me sick, but this is rare. Other than that (and occasional regret when I can not have another bite of something delicious) I have had NO problems.

Love my sleeve!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Lee E.
on 10/21/10 11:40 pm - Lee's Summit, MO
at the most.... I'd say 1 week. that first week I felt a bit off, sometimes lethargic. But once that scales starts moving... it's truly "ALL WORTH IT!!"
~Lee

goodlife
on 10/21/10 11:41 pm - Mandeville, LA
I agree with Longhorn...it never sucked for me either. Never regretted it for a second.
High Weight: 292         Surgery Weight: 268

mit_tens
on 10/21/10 11:42 pm - Woodstock, CT
My recovery thus far has been easy peasy......... thank you lord!!! The one thing I thought was hard was clear liquids after. I knew I had to do it but I didn't prepare myself for being that hungry, and I was. Once I moved to full liquids it got so much better. I am eating yogurt and pudding and creamy soups and along with my liquids and I feel so much better.  I have also dropped 15 pounds since Oct. 11 so I'm pretty happy about that!  ;)

Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future. 

HW~245
CW~178
GW~130

Thats 268 sticks of butter GONE!          
stephany48463
on 10/21/10 11:48 pm
It sucked for 2 days and then it was uncomfortable for two weeks. the worst was not being able to pick up my 2 yr old when he wanted up, but when feeling guilty I just thought about how much better a mom I will be when I can run with him! last night I ran! not far but for then first times in 5 or 6 years!
45 lbs lost pre op
first goal 199 reached 2-3-11
second goal 175 reached 6-1-11              
Dawnie 88
on 10/21/10 11:58 pm
for me, honestly it sucked for the first 6 weeks.  It was so hard being around everyone eating foods I loved, and me still being on liquids or mushies.  I thought I'd never be able to feel normal again.  Once I started on regular foods, I found they just didn't hold that appeal as they did before, and with the weight starting to come off fast, I just felt better and excited for what was to come.

Everyone's journey is different.  Like some of the above posters, you may never feel it sucks.  I had an easy time of everything, but the mental stuff is what I wasn't prepared for.

Good Luck..I love my sleeve!

Kim J.
on 10/21/10 11:59 pm - Lexington, SC
I agree with the previous posters.  The first week was a little rough.  I never regretted the decision, but I felt pretty crappy the first week.  You just have to push through...... walk, sip, sip, sip, walk, sip, sip, sip...and repeat.  Even in the hospital I was up walking a couple of times through the night.  When the nurses would come in and do vitals or take blood, I'd get up and do a lap up and down the hall.  I was also really good about getting my fluids and protein in.  High protein drinks for Isopure did it for me.  I feel really great the end of the second week and after I got the staples out of the incisions.  I wish you the he absolute best!!!!   You will be on a miraculous journey!!!!  

PS:  I've lost 15.8 pounds since surgery!!!!!  I need to update my ticker!!!

I am 5'9" and 50 years old.          
estre40
on 10/22/10 12:05 am
Honestly, I felt fine. I had a very quick recovery. I kept thinking maybe the surgeon had fooled me just to take my money from me, and hadn't actually performed the surgery because I had no pain at all. I bought my pain medications, and never even used them. The first week when you're on clear liquids, you can't notice the restriction, so I kept thinking this Dr. fooled me...lol

It is until I started eating mushies or solids that I was positive I had been sleeved.

So, honestly for me it has been a joy to be in this journey. =)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views