Lexapro after VSG...

farewell2fat
on 10/25/10 12:04 am - Apopka, FL
 Although Lexapro has helped me with anxiety, I know for sure it has helped me pack on the pounds!! Not completely blaming Lexapro for my weight, because I was overweight prior, but it sure didn't help the situation. I know that weight gain is a common side effect w/Lexapro & drugs of the same class. I have spoken to my PCP about this & have tried out a different medication w/no success. Anyone else ever been in this situation & have any advice to offer?? I need to take something, but just not something that is counterproductive to weight loss. 

HopeRestored
on 10/25/10 12:20 am
Hello,

I am a Nurse Practitioner and I know that Lexapro is one of them that causes the LEAST weight gain with Paxil being oneof the worst.  It is a really good medicaiton so I would encourage you to stay on that one if you have to have one.

bekahler
on 10/25/10 12:41 am - Parkville, MD
 My shrink also said Lexapro is one of the better ones with regards to weight gain...

I only skipped one day of it since surgery...no problems taking it in pill form either, btw.

Good luck to you...
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

VeraG
on 10/25/10 1:23 am - Bonner Springs, KS
I only skipped my lexapro the day of surgery as well.  I haven't had any issues and I'm losing.

Living until I die!

Beautiful_day
on 10/25/10 1:50 am
I heard that some people do not take Lexapro after they are on the losers bench. Wouldn't that be great?
Spiritus
on 10/25/10 2:07 am - Hawthorne, CA
Although I am on a different med, I am happy to read that there are others out there with the Sleeve who are still able to take meds.  I am on Effexor now, but am feeling like I need to add my valium back to the regimen. 

LabMomma
on 10/25/10 2:21 am
VSG on 09/27/10 with
I take Lexapro & wouldn't give it up! I am losing weight great & because of the Lex, I am thinner & HAPPY! Otherwise, I would be thinner, but a ***** to live with. No problem with taking it right after surgery, either.

renebeau
on 10/25/10 5:05 am
I take 20 mg Lexapro. Have taken it for years. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. I reached goal and then some while taking it.

I have heard athat going off and on can lessen the efficacy of Lexapro. So don't stop unless you are really ready! (Also, that "Paxil head" can make you think you are going crazy!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views