I know people have survived this, BUT...

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:28 am, edited 11/2/10 11:31 am - Apopka, FL
My family tells me that it's going to be impossible to fly home on a plane (from Mexico) after sleeve surgery without having major discomfort & pain. My sis had sleeve surgery in the states & swears she wouldn't have been able to get on a plane 3 days later without any issues! They are really starting to worry me with this. Thoughts please!!! 

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 11/2/10 11:33 am - New Orleans
People from this board do it everyday and live to tell about it, and apparently without too much misery.  If you think you may need more room, maybe you could upgrade or buy an additional seat? 

It sounds like your family is trying to talk you out of doing this by using every possible excuse they can find.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:37 am - Apopka, FL
I'm afraid you're right. But I have basically told my sisters that I appreciate their concern, value their opinions, but that I'm still planning on sleeve surgery in Mexico w/Dr. Aceves in December. They are making me more nervous than I already am, but am not wavering on my decision thus far.

VictoriaV
on 11/2/10 11:41 am
please don't worry....you will be fine....i did it and nothing happened....plus you will be in the best hands....Dr. Aceves and his staff are really great.....so you shouldn't worry about anything at all. Goodluck and welcome to your new journey to weight loss.
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 11/2/10 11:43 am - New Orleans
Tell them you appreciate their concern, but if they can't support your decision, then you'd rather not even talk to them about it.  Have you showed them the patient testimonials for Dr. A?

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

exitrealtor4u
on 11/2/10 11:43 am - MD
You will have pain relievers, take them to keep you comfortable. Also, bring a pillow to cushion your stomach from the seat belt. Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what is best for you. The plane ride is temporary, the weight loss will be permanent and well worth the temporary discomfort. Girl, get on that plane and get the 'nay sayers' out of your ear. You don't need any additional worries or stress. Keep your focus and know that you're going to be fine!

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/10 11:50 am
Three days after surgery I was on my way home with absolutely no pain riding in a 4 wheel drive pick-up with a 6 hour drive.
The day of surgery I was up and walking with little discomfort. If you are concerned about some pain ask the Dr for some pain killers for the ride home.
On the fifth day I was riding my garden tractor mowing the lawn.
I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of pain.
I had the sleeve and my wife is considering it also. If so we are headed to Mexico.
Good luck. 
farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:52 am, edited 11/2/10 12:16 pm - Apopka, FL
 @Fatguyinalittlecoat, the following is an actual email my sister recently sent me. My family is not easily convinced & think I'm absolutely out of my mind for choosing Mexico:

This is not an easy surgery. It's no walk in park. Doesn't matter how experienced said surgeon is by some fancy website, or extensive webpage. You are not within your country.  Post travel will be a ***** under the very best of cir****tances!!!! They are legal considerations that you have to appreciate. You have NO legal recourse in a foreign country as a result of medical complications, fraud, or negligence. Have you even checked with Mexican embassy to find out policies and advisories on their medical tourism and their safety standards?Medical forum boards and impressive lingo should not be the standard in which you choose your medical care. Dr experience is a big selling point, I agree, but again if he is not being regulated by a medical board and you have no licensed third party that back up his claims, then it's a moot point.     It is up to you. I just want to state for the record that I think it's the WORST idea of your life. I'm sorry if I sound mean or unpleasant.  I am really concerned and think that it is never a good idea to put a cost to your health and care.  Simple. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. I pray and hope it's truly what you want it to be. 

LillyMae62
on 11/2/10 12:22 pm - Albany, OR
" Dr experience is a big selling point, I agree, but again if he is not being regulated by a medical board and you have no licensed third party that back up his claims, then it's a moot point."

Your Dr. is certified through a third party, the American Board of Medical Specialties.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  

Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, often listed as "FACS", is a post-nominal title used to indicate that the surgeon's education and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and have been found to be consistent with the high standards established and demanded by said College. In order to apply for membership, a surgeon typically must be certified by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties.

Lilly

Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow.         ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros                               

Jessica M.
on 11/2/10 12:32 pm - San Antonio, TX
Give everyone in your family your bank account number, and tell them if they are truly worried they can pay for your surgery in the states. I bet this will bring you silence faster than anything else could!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views