Cholesterol

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/24/11 5:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
First up - I'm pre-op, working through the hoops here in Edmonton, where we have a fab program called Weight Wise. My surgery will be free, assuming I'm successful in getting through the hoops, and the support is AMAZING. (Internist said all I have left is losing 14 [now 9] more pounds and getting in the habit of drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily. At that point I can be approved and referred to a surgeon, then wait for my turn in the queue)

My nurse just called, and she'd been talking to my dietitian. I've lost just over 10% of my start weight (yeah me!), have been doing regular exercise (aquasize 3 days a week for the past 9 months) and hugely improved my eating habits, BUT my cholesterol and triglycerides have actually gone up more (hdl as well, but not much, and the others are problematic). She says they're really pleased with everything I'm doing, but that I've pretty much reached the limit of what I can do through lifestyle changes and that likely genetics are the culprit. SO - she wants me to see my )Dr and have him prescribe something.

I'm not happy about it, but compliance is very important in my program, so I'll be seeing my Dr shortly after returning from my trip to NB to visit my daughter. (2 weeks)

My question (I know you all wondered when I'd get to it) is: Is there any chance my cholesterol will improve after surgery? What sort of results have you seen?

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

ViviValencia
on 3/24/11 6:13 am
My Cholesterol was not that high, and was never an issue, but I had blood work done last week, and my Cholesterol was way down, and I account that to surgery, exercise and healthy eating.  For what it's worth, my 2 cents!  Good Luck!!
loverofcats
on 3/24/11 8:13 am
It may improve after surgery, but a major factor is genetics, so no matter what you do, your cholesterol may still be high. This has happened to me, and I may have start a statin.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Donna G.
on 3/24/11 11:15 am - Olathe, KS
Mine went down. I am 5 weeks out and my cholesterol is all in normal range. I have not taken my meds since the day before surgery. I have the bad genetics in my family but I got there. There is a chance you will get off al meds after surgery.

Good luck

Donna          

sundaymorning
on 3/25/11 3:55 am
 Ive always had normal cholesterol but it went sky high after surgery.  My nurse practitioner said it could be because of a fatty liver but to just add more cholesterol-lowering foods to your diet and wait about a month to check again.  Good luck!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views