Taking prescriptions...taste horrible when crushed! HELP!

Ecolwitz
on 3/26/11 3:21 pm - AL
I had the VSG last Monday (3/21).  I had a few bad days in the beginning, but otherwise, feeling good. 

I take many medications for my migraines each night.  I was told to consult the pharmacist about crushing them and ingesting them that way.  All three of my medications are OK to crush; actually, one of them is a capsule that can break open.  HOWEVER, they taste so awful.  After 5 days of crushing and eating them plain with just a swig of water to follow, I'm at my wit's end.

Is there a better way to do this?  Tonight I put my crushed amitriptylene in my jello.  That was awful.  THen 2 hours later, I put my other med into my chicken broth...that is OK...still tastes better, but better than my stupid jello idea.  And since I can't drink water while eating, I just tried to swish the jello around in my mouth to take the HORRIBLE taste in my mouth away.  Didn't really help...in fact, the amitriptylene, in crushed form, makes my whole mouth numb for about two hours.  Yuck.

Can I take it with a spoonful or sugar substitute?  (My Mom used to crush pills and put them in sugar for me to take as a kid.)

Help?!

Thanks,
Erin

smbergie200
on 3/26/11 3:33 pm - Naples, FL
how bout applesauce?

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 3:42 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
I crushed mine, then diluted in apple juice or apple carrot juice. Made it much more tolerable. All the best!
Melody Deutsch
on 3/26/11 3:55 pm - CA
well, you can put them in unsweetened applesauce, they go down easier that way, not much taste either, hope this helps.
God Bless........Melody
Ecolwitz
on 3/26/11 4:03 pm - AL
Thanks, everyone.  I forgot about Apple Juice...duh!

All best, erin
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 4:13 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
No "duh" to it. That's what we are all here for . Hope it helps!
cathimajig
on 3/26/11 5:40 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I couldn't swallow pills until I hit my teens, so my mom always crushed up my pills in a spoonful of honey. It almost masks the taste completely. And you could always take a tiny, tiny sip of tea (or flavored liquid) to remove the remaining bitter taste from your mouth.
~Cathi

High Weight: 417.5  Surgery Weight: 403.4  Current Weight: 361.4    
Linda B.
on 3/26/11 10:02 pm - CA
I had my surgery the same day as you. Have you tried to just swallow them like normal w/ water? I am breaking my vits in 1/2 and my B12 goes down just fine with a lil swig of water. Granted, I take them over the course of 15 mins or so, but there's no reason why you can swallow them normally if you are drinking your water etc. Ask your Dr. If your water is going down fine, you should be able to take them.
Linda B
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

katier825
on 3/26/11 10:37 pm
Do you need to crush them?  Have you attempted to swallow pills?  I was able to swallow whole pills within a couple of weeks.  Prior to that I cut them in half.  I didn't have any capsuls, so I can't comment other than to try applesauce.
Andrea2222
on 3/26/11 11:15 pm - Sharonville, OH
I got an infection after surgery and had to take this horse pill-sized antibiotics. I would cut them into about 8 tiny pieces and then swallow them with a bit of water. It took about 5 minutes to swallow a whole pill, but it was a million times better than crushing. The taste of the antibiotics was sooooo bitter, it made me want to throw up.

Every week after that I could cut them into fewer pieces. At about 6 weeks, I just started swallowing the pills whole, and it was fine.
HW: 380   SW: 321   CW: 214  GW: 145  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 192 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views