How do you lose inches but not lose weight?

tjosato
on 3/30/11 7:11 am - Ofallon, IL
Im 3 weeks post op and in the middle of the "3 Week Stall".  I've read a few threads and a common statement is that during the stall you will lose inches even if you dont lose weight. Does anyone know how that is possible? If the fat is shrinking I would think you could see that in the scale too, but evidently, theres something else going on.

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 7:14 am - CA
Magic? Devine Intervention? Skin shrinkage?  All I know is that I won't look that gift horse in the mouth!
ChaseT1
on 3/30/11 7:22 am - Wichita, KS
Think of it as sort of condensing.. And it's safe to say you MAY lose inches.. Not everyone does..  If you're moving around and walking, etc.. You're building muscle.. :)

HW: 367  SW: 341
Babynesh05
on 3/30/11 7:36 am - Germany
 yup because as your losing inches your building muscle so its like it cancels itself out.. i dont question it.. Ive seen it with my own eyes so I enjoy the stalls actually... 

GW 1: 200 COMPLETED! 193-Feb 15th 2011
GW 2: 160 COMPLETED! 160-May 12th 2011
GW 3: 140 COMPLETED! 140-June 17th 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mrs Vermonica
P.Correre

on 3/30/11 8:42 am
believe it or not you will lose inches if you are @ a stall just keep exercising keep moving
_rebecca
on 3/30/11 9:05 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I am in a stall to and I am losing inches.  It is so strange, but it seems to happen a lot to everyone.  As long as I am not gaining, I am happy!
sunny10
on 3/30/11 9:36 am
Here is a good article that explains your question.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/losinginches.htm
Sunny10    
mylastchance
on 3/30/11 9:52 am
I don't know how it works either,  and I have been in a major stall for months, but I have gone from a size  8/10 to a 6/8 and I am not complaining.  I want to lose my last 5 lbs but I can't seem to shake them.  I have been somewhat sedentary with the bad weather so hopefully now that the sun is starting to shine more I will be able to drag my butt out to move around more. 

Good luck to you in your journey and you will start seeing the scale move again real soon.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 9:54 am - Germantown, MD
 I don't know how it works, but it's really funny I was just pondering this very question the other day. I just got off a month long stall (only my second stall in 7 months, so I'm countint my blessings here). ALL my clothes fit differently and, no, I'm not building muscle right now. I only recently really started working out. So, where does it go when the inches come off but the scale doesn't move?
Southernsleever
on 3/31/11 2:45 am
Well because you are still losing fat but you are usually holding onto water at that time. So you may lose a pound (for instance) but your body is building back up it's water reserves so you hold onto the water. I find when I am on a stall I don't pee much and I always lose inches. When the scale is going down quickly I lose pounds but my size stays the same.

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Most Active