So I'll have to eat low carb forever to really be successful, right?

sueannspencer
on 3/31/11 3:27 am - Carrollton, TX
How you eat long-term has so many variables! Seven months post-op, I always eat protein first, and make selections that are high-protein as opposed to high-carb, but I eat a bit of fruit, veggies, starches, and a bite or two of a sweet treat on occasion. Because of the small capacity, I don't get all of those every day, but it's important to my mental health to enjoy a wide variety of flavors. A bite or two of a non-protein dish satisfies that for me without sabotaging my caloric intake. I eat with friends and family, and eat what's on the table. I'm losing weight consistently, because the portions remain in the 4 oz. range. I eat healthier than I did before, because the sleeve has given me control of my appetite. The value of that has lifetime implications, and I couldn't be happier.

wildfan
on 3/31/11 3:28 am
Being a meatatarian, this will be perfect for me. I am a carb-***** as well (I make some killer fresh baguettes), but its a sacrifice I have to make to get healthy. I'll just get more comfy with tenderloin rolls instead of whole wheat. lol
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 3:29 am
I thought about what you are saying quite a lot before surgery too.  I mean why could I not just do it.  What helped me a great deal to get it, was when I ran into this statistic, only 3-7% of people can lose a 100 lbs. and keep it off for five years.  I was one of those 3-7 percenters, I had lost 100 lbs. and kept it off for five years, and then guess what happened, I bet you can guess, I gained it all back.  I realized it was just plain silly for me to keep torturing myself, trying to do what most people can't do.  This is totally different in that I feel like I have a shovel to dig with instead of a spoon.  I still have to do the work, but the tool matches the job.  It is MUCH easier to lose and maintain when you don't have the raging hunger or the empty pit of a stomach.  Do you think I miss those things?  No, you would be right, I don't miss them in the slightest.  I would do this surgery again in a heartbeat.  Stop beating yourself up and go get your life back!  Yes, it is VERY different.
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 6:49 am
Same deal here- I lost over 100lbs, and maintained for 5 years, then poofed again.. I can't imagine what my total losses over the decades would add up to if I counted all the 30-60 pounders I dropped.. So the deal for me is *I can lose, but I cannot maintain long term. The sleeve will give me better odds at both. That's more than I have without it. 
Mini.me
on 3/31/11 3:47 am
I still eat quite a few carbs ... especially now that I am at goal. I focus on protein to "stop up the sink" so to speak, but I have a few bites of mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, pretzels, chips, cookies, you name it. My sleeve helps me keep the portions small.

You may find thta you have to really restrict carbs while you are losing. You may find that you do not.

But, stats say that out of 100 people only 3-5 people can maintain weightloss. For those with surgery, the stats increase to 65 out of 100 ... The odds are definitely in our favor. And, you can increase those odds by being part of a support group (such as OH) and monitoring your food intake.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

George B.
on 3/31/11 3:49 am - Miami, FL
I lost a lot of weight with the Atkins diet.

The difference for me between the sleeve and Atkins is that with the sleeve I am not hungry. I continue to lose weight, I feel full, I have restriction and I'm not hungry. I do not crave carbs and I don't spend all day thinking about food.

Having 70% of my bodies Ghrenlin hormone production removed with my stomach means I'm not hungry. Often I have to be reminded to eat and this was never the case when I was dieting.

I've lost 100% of my excess weight and that would not have been possible for me on Atkins alone.

With the sleeve I make better food choices, I eat well, I do not feel deprived and I'm not hungry.

I do limit my carbs to about n40 grams per day but I do not miss carbs. I have a slice of sourdough bread or a cookie when I want and I'm satisfied with just one. I no longer eat potato, rice or pasta and I don't miss them. Carbs were always my downfall and it feel great to have power over them and not the other way around.

Good luck,
George

sublimate
on 3/31/11 3:56 am - San Jose, CA
I have followed low carb for the last 16 years very diligently with few deviations. Unfortunately I'm so carb sensitive I have to keep my carbs very low to lose, and also exercise, and also keep my calories low. So I needed the help of the VSG because I was a huge volume eater and JUST low carb kept me from gaining but did not keep me losing or maintaining.

Even on low carb I could pack away 5000 calories a day of low carb foods. I lost 150 pounds gradually lowering my calories starting from 4000 to 2800 over 2 years, mostly by eating upwards of 2-3 pounds of veggies per day so I could fill myself with bulk with less calories.

I often ate 2 pounds of meat to go with those 2-3 pounds of veggies, so I was eating 4-5 pounds of food per day! That's a lot of volume, and I gradually lowered the volume/calories but I just could not get lower! I couldn't get my calories lower than 2800 without starting to get ravenously hungry, no matter how low carb I went.

I'm sure my stomach was so stretched out and my cells so insulin resistant by that point, it was hopeless without surgery. So why get VSG when many of us STILL have to eat low carb? It's to help you with your portions, and often help you with your appetite so it is EASIER to eat low carb and smaller portions.

However be aware that not everyone has to be carb conscious.. maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. And if you exercise you might be able to get away with a little more. I'd rather have the "deprivation" of low carb than the "deprivation" of all the things that go along with morbid obesity.

For me it's an no brainer where my values lie.. I value my health and mobility and all of the things that go along with being smaller OVER ANY SINGLE FOOD in the world. It is easy for me to make good food choices because at my core I really embraced the outlook that eating junk and being healthy are absolutely mutually exclusive for ME.

I can't have my cake and eat it too.. and when I really looked at what I was giving up by constantly trying and failing at moderation, it became easy for me to see what I needed to do for ME.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

carabarnes
on 3/31/11 3:56 am
I don't think your negative I think you have a valid ? I did the same as you and lost 70lbs on the southbeach diet 2x. I have eaten low carb since I've had surgery and I know it's the reason I made it to goal in less than a year. I wouldn't have been as successful as fast if I hadn't chosen low carb. I also chose NO sugar and have been exercising almost every single day. I'm sure you could loose the weight at a much slower rate eating normal foods because your portion size is altered, unless you eat donuts drink sodas and have a milkshake everyday. I believe what Brandilynn says about the bypass, it was not an option for me. I waited a year for my insurance to approve the sleeve. I'm glad I waited. I am the smallest I've ever been in my adult life. Is it easy... NO. Does it work...if you work it.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

kanga003
on 3/31/11 4:54 am, edited 3/31/11 4:54 am
Thanks so much for ALL of the responses!!! I know all of this, sometimes it's just hard to get my head around! I am so happy that this time a week or so into Atkins my cravings are MOSTLY gone, not all, but mostly...

Right now I am thinking about the yummy south beach diet cereal bar in my bag... mmmm... 11 carbs though...

I know that I can do the low carb long term... I KNOW that I can, but when I try to explain it to someone else they are like "why can't you just do it now???" and I don't always have an answer that makes sense to everyone (I know I am the only one who matters though!).

Are folks who are insulin resistant generally successful with the sleeve? That is really my biggest fear after the will I make it through without too many complications and will I be successful ones.

I know that I am carb sensitive... very. For me, if I"m not eating low carb ALL I eat is junk... I know it's wrong and bad for me and I shouldn't, but I'd live on sandwhiches, chicken fingers, chips, snack cakes, fast food etc. I'm not a HUGE volume eater, but I can be an emotional one.

I don't know why if I eat some carbs I can't stop, but I do know that once I make it through the yucky part I actually eat healthy on low carb...

I guess I am just rambling now... I'm sorry!!! I am so excited for the change, but nervous too... I know you all know what I mean.

I do feel confident that WLS is what is right for me, and the more research I do the more I want the VGS... it really seems to be the way to go!

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 5:07 am
Each person has a different reason. 

Here is mine...I have been fighting my weight for the last almost 20 years.  I am only 39, I have a LOOOOONG time to go.  I was tired of fighting with my weight.  So I made the decision and went with it.

Now, I know that today is the heaviest I will ever weigh for the rest of my life.  And that really is the bottom line for me. 

There is no more daily struggle.  There is no more wondering what if.  I am now able to make plans KNOWING without a shadow of a doubt that I will be "skinnier".  I am almost halfway to goal, and I did it in 11 weeks.  I'll take that any day, and twice on Sunday.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views