So I'll have to eat low carb forever to really be successful, right?

kanga003
on 3/31/11 3:02 am
I am seeing the surgeon for the first time on Tuesday... I think I have decided for sure on the sleeve (unless he has a compelling reason for the RNY...)

I am doing Atkins to loose weight pre op... I have lost 14lbs in ONE week... this is the 4th time I have made it this far on Atkins... once I lost 70lbs in 5 months!

SOOO... if I can do it without the sleeve, why do I even need it?

I know that there are SO many answers, but I am kind of beating myself up... why can't I just STICK to the low carb...?  Each time I have done it I have gained all of the weight back and then some :-(  I know that is the real reason.

I see people talking about how to break stalls and keep on track... protien first, veggie then carb if you have room... makes TOTAL sense... so why can't I just DO IT!?!

I guess I am just doing the guilt thing today...  sorry... I'm not usually so negative.

jbskaggs
on 3/31/11 3:08 am - holt, MO
 It is possible to keep weight off with out surgery- but in reality unlikely based on the percentages.  Many people lose fifty to one hundred lbs on Atkins or other diets then very quickly gain it back. And the weight the gain back is worse than before (the fat cells physically alter themselves) and you end up even heavier and more unhealthy.

The sleeve can fail in the long run if you dont choose to make radical changes to your whole life, not just a diet.

JB

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 3:11 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

It depends on your body, it depends on your sensitivities, it depends on your triggers, it depends on your activity level.

It depends on a lot, my friend. 

I couldnt just *do it* consistently forever before because I was a pit. There was no end to my hunger or how much I could pack away.  I felt hopeless and helpless more often than not.

Now? I tend to eat lower carb, but its because my body LIKES IT.  It has changed from a "have to" to a something I do that nurtures my body, I do it because I feel best and run best on this fuel!!

I wouldnt have an RNY in a half zillion years for a quarter zillion dollars in somebody else's body.  No way, no how, just sayin. It works for some folks, but I like my pylorus, I like a real stomach, I like no blind stomach.

I dig my sleeve, and I am thankful, even though I have to slurp down extra proteins shakes at 2 years out because I dont absorb/I go thru my protein different than i *ought* to.

Chin up friend, shake off the glums and look at all the good things that can be.  There *are* worse things than protein first.  :}

Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/11 5:29 am
Brandilynn ,  what have you found to be the biggest bang/best protein shakes?

And other foods you have found to squeeze in lots of protein.

Thanks,
L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 5:45 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Right now, the foods dont matter so much.  Foods alone dont get me to "normal"

I buy the 5 pound jugs of Optimum Nutrition Cake Batter flavored shakes for 42 bucks (with 5 dollar unlimited weight shipping) from netrition.  Its the only Vanilla I like, and that's after a few months of 3 shakes a day, which is saying a lot :} 

I can make it whatever flavor i want, but I even like these mixed with water, and too 72 servings for 42 bucks?  Good deal.  If I had my druthers, I would have lower carb ones (although this isnt bad at 3 per serving) but I have more wiggle room with carbs, than I have googobs of cashdolla to throw at more expensive shakes!  :} 

For foods, I just am a dense protein gal, turkey, beef, pork being my mainstays.  Yogurt (greek or otherwise) is triggery for me, its the texture, too puddingy!  MMM PUDDING!  I think about it and need to eat it gone. 

Dats all I know about that, babygirl!
Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/11 6:06 am
Hey, thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 6:10 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Welcome!

Hey Ostrich is an amazing meat if you can get it and get it at a good price.  Its got a chew like red meat, looks like red meat, but has fat stats like a fowl. 

Me?  I eat fattier foods than most, but when I was being a lean eating human and could find Ostrich, yum!
Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/11 6:33 am

Meats ain't easy for me.  I try . . . chicken, turkey, fish (only light and non-meaty tasting).  Beef rarely - I try!  I couldn't eat an ostrich, I just couldn't.  And fowl, I see them hanging down on hooks in China town in NYC - oh wait, I think that is duck.  I've never been tempted, not once.  Deer, Bunny Rabbit, Frog etc.  Thanks, but no thanks!  I don't see anything wrong with others eating it, it's me and I've been that way since I was just a tot.

I will be trying the cake batter tho'

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 6:37 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I sure do understand. If you PM me your address I will send you a few scoops. it only comes in 5 lb buckets it seems and that's a lot of soemthing to have if you dont dig it!!  :}

kNOwmore
on 3/31/11 3:21 am, edited 3/31/11 3:21 am
I did the same thing only was never as sucessful as you on Atkins. I craved carbs all the time!

I had my sleeve done in Jan and I learn really quick that carbs fill you up so fast it hurts (especially if you have bad heartburn like I do).
Its comforting to know I can have pizza if the mouth craving demands it but now its just a silver of a slice not 3 pieces and yet I'm satisfied with it. The carb craving really has just about disappeared.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I did for years and having the surgery is the best thing I've done for myself.

kNOwMore

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views